Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2010, 06:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
In the last few years I bought an eVGA 8800GTS 640 "vanilla" and a eVGA GTX260 Core216 55nm "vanilla" from NCIX. On both of these cards, I got cards "factory-flashed" to Superclocked speeds right out-of-the-box.

I've been lucky probably, but they were (and still are) really stable and good overclockers. The GTX470SC is just $20 more. I'm not saying SC is worth it, as it's such a small OC increment.

The GTX470 looks good IMHO. I'll probably get one. The Gigabyte HD5870 Ultra durable is available at NCIX and ca be PMed to $420...so I hesitate (GSOD scares me), but if ATI drops it's prices next week a little bit, I'll be sitting on the fence (I'm climbing on it right now LOL).

How good the GTX470 can become once the drivers are "polished"? How important the GpGPU thing is to a guy like me that doesn't FOLD? Why a MINI HDMI??? Doesn't make sense IMHO...saving $1.25?
Can CUDA/GPGPU, in the next few years, become useful to the average joe that games/general computing???
Btw, i know about.. 5 peoples right now (3 with 5770, one with 5850 (me), and one with 5870 (since launch), none of those had GSOD ever. My guess it that may be related to motherboard compatibity problems. Most of the 5 people have less than 6 months old Motherboards..
Old March 27, 2010, 06:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Awesome reviews.

The 470 seems a bit interesting. If availability is up when I'm making my final order I may go for it.
Old March 27, 2010, 06:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Great review SKYMTL, as always these reviews are top notch. I got a great deal on 2 sapphire HD5850's so I'm not feeling any buyers remorse after seeing these minimum FPS. There seems to be mixed feelings about this card, some say it's great others have said it's left them with a Meh feeling, I'm in that party. I think my expectations were to high with all the hype, I really thought, or was hoping at least, that this card would blow the 5870 out of the water, and I don't think it does.

I'm extremely happy that this card is out though, it should encourage competition, and hopefully some price drops here and there. The heat generated from this is concerning to me but I'm sure it's not an issue to people out there.

Does anyone out there know if Nvidia will be unlocking the 32locked cores? or are those permanently locked?
Old March 27, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The extra 32 cores will probably be unlocked in a GTX 485.

Also a dual card will come out that competes with the 5970.

I think the GTX 480 blows the 5870 out of the water when there is a demanding game. Not all the games tested were very demanding but if you look at Metro 2033 it is freaking awesome and with 2 cards I bet that you could play at 2560 x 1600 max settings with decent AA. You can't say the same with dual 5870's. Plus the minimum FPS on all games is better and that is what matters the most.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 27, 2010, 07:51 AM
Top Prospect

There is a typo in the overclocking section: your wrote 775MHz core clock instead of 675MHz

Man that card... at that speed...
Old March 27, 2010, 08:25 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Lol The wife is telling me that I should "threat myself" to the GTX480, because it's likely the LAST graphics card upgrade she wants to hear about for the next two years...

SKYMTL,
I think my Antec True power Trio 650 watts (52amps) won't work because of the lack of a 8pin PCI-E.

Really, can the 6pin to 8pin PCI-e adapter like this work 100% reliably???

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...ufacture=Works

Would it be SAFE? I know the 6 pin is supposed to hold 75 watts and the 8pin 150 watts...can my PSU cables catch on fire if I use such connector (wire gauge issue)?

Can a GTX480 (PLAYING at 1680 X 1050) makes sense for futureproofing (I know it doesn't exist) my rig a little?
you might want to add a molex in for safety, needs another adapter i think.
Old March 27, 2010, 09:01 AM
Rookie

The most nv biased review on the web, grats.

You should be ashamed of yourself, look at what the respectable websites like anand, [H] and THG said. You'll always be minor league if you are in nvidia's pockets.

FAIL.
Old March 27, 2010, 09:09 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamahl View Post

You should be ashamed of yourself, look at what the respectable websites like anand, [H] and THG said. You'll always be minor league if you are in nvidia's pockets.

FAIL.
Seemed unbiased to me, and I was watching for it. Get back under your bridge.
Old March 27, 2010, 09:09 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:

FAIL.

i mustve missed something. are you referring to the power consumption section?

and sky could you give us more insight on how testing methodologies affect numbers?

for exemple underclock that i7 or use a slower am2/3 and lets see if at high rez itll make a bigger difference towards one card or the other
Old March 27, 2010, 09:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:

FAIL.
woke up on the wrong side of the bed? Those reviews are not dramatically different from HWC, not enough to say those hurtful things