Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   PowerColor Brand (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/30132-powercolor-brand.html)

RBA March 21, 2010 01:03 PM

PowerColor Brand

Can I get some feedback and opinions on the PowerColor video card brand? Specifically the 5870 models. Anyone had any issues? Pro's / con's vs Sapphire Vapour X brand ? I'm looking at the PowerColor AX5870 1GBD5-PPDHG PCS+ model, here PowerColor Official Website - Graphics, Cases, Power Supply . Sapphire seems to be the bigger name out there. RMA / Warranty experience. Newegg has some comments but I was hoping for some feedback from forum members. Thanks

Delavan March 21, 2010 02:00 PM

IF you can help it, try to get an ATI/AMD card that comes with lifetime warranty (XFX) or 3 years (Gigabyte, ASUS). The "other" guys offer a two years warranty.

I wouldn't bother too much with the "EXOTIC" (read custom) fans unless you plan on overclocking.
I'd rather own a "plain-jane" XFX Radeon than a custom card from another retailer.
The input you got from the online retailer doesn't tell you all (level of review writer's knowledge), but still, you can see a pattern.

Go XFX if you can. If not, the ASUS with the voltage control (for more stable and higher overclocks) seems decent.

At least, wait a few weeks to see what nVidia is gonna look like with the new GTX470 and 480!

RBA March 22, 2010 05:17 PM

Hmmm.....no feedback so either no news is good news or they aren't worth purchasing.

RedLight March 22, 2010 05:27 PM

imo i really hate powercolor because their coolers back then weren't that great (4890) and i remember you couldn't control the fan of those cards... that is why it was so cheap compared to other brands

i go with any other brand except HIS and diamond

RBA March 22, 2010 07:12 PM

Thanks for your input ... much appreciated.

JD March 22, 2010 07:26 PM

IMO, get any card that uses the reference cooler. Then you get all the voltage tweaking possibilities and compatibility with any aftermarket cooling solutions.

Any non-reference card (currently) scraps voltage control. I guess if you aren't really overclocking it's not a big deal, and I believe TechPowerUp gave the PCS+ a pretty solid review.

RBA March 22, 2010 08:22 PM

Yeah I just read that review and I like the quietness of the card. I don't think overclocking is really going to give you huge frame rate gains. If you need more power then I guess you buy a second. Seems Sapphire and XFX have a larger part of the market. Thanks for the TechPowerUp site reference.

LarkStarr March 22, 2010 09:16 PM

I've had a few lower end powercolor products with no issue. that being said I'm talking just basic video duties. no games.

bovine.baron March 22, 2010 09:30 PM

My only experience with Powercolour has been buying one of their 4890s second hand, though the card had just got back from an RMA so it should have been brand new. It failed to work properly unless I underclocked everything and even then it had problems. That's two faulty cards in a row; I just sent it out for the third time and hopefully they'll get it right this time.

Man, I wonder if that guy will be willing to refund me I just saw someone selling an XFX version for the same price I paid ;_;

Digikid March 23, 2010 04:30 AM

XFX. Had to RMA a powercolor card ONCE and they "accidentally" sent the SAME card back.