Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2010, 09:27 PM
Banned
F@H

Default hey sky and fellow reviewers

how would a top of the line video card fare on different cpus?
i get the question a lot, would be nice to point here.
anyone not lazy enough to do a small little writing? like taking resolutions from 25.. and down and comparing a 5870 for example on i7,am3,c2d,939,prescott (at same clock rate) and whatever else has a pci-e slot? :)

i know at lower resolutions the best cpu's do win, but how would a so many years old cpu+board fare with a new card?
Old March 17, 2010, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

clock rates are not comparable between architectures.

also depends on the game's engine. some games are more cpu dependant then others.

you can safely say though, that 95% of the time, the gpu has the predominant effect. anything recent (dual core 2s) and higher wouldn't exactly have any issues playing any game. going lower you might have to turn down some settings.. but for example I know someone who plays left 4 dead 2 on an 8800gt and a P4 530, with only minor problems.

otherwise it's immediately obvious.. a 5870 on a prescott is going to have some problems. the video card just won't get fed enough!
Old March 17, 2010, 10:48 PM
Banned
F@H

well yes, but a nice set of numbers to show the difference would be good. i kind of cleaned out of older hw so no chance for me to do one :)
Old March 18, 2010, 06:01 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

"A little writing"? More like lost of writing and weeks of testing. Maybe some day when we're not in the middle of GPU release season but not for the forseeable future.
Old March 18, 2010, 06:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
"A little writing"? More like lost of writing and weeks of testing. Maybe some day when we're not in the middle of GPU release season but not for the forseeable future.
SKY,

You guys expect to get a FERMI for review in the coming weeks?
Old March 18, 2010, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

dangtx, you need to do this work if you want to see it done. It is painfully obvious you have no clue whatsoever as to the scope of this testing. It would take months to compare multiple cards this way. It sounds like YOU are the lazy one here. I don't review video cards but I do write reviews and I can state there is far more going on behind the scenes than the average person imagines.
Old March 18, 2010, 06:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
dangtx, you need to do this work if you want to see it done. It is painfully obvious you have no clue whatsoever as to the scope of this testing. It would take months to compare multiple cards this way. It sounds like YOU are the lazy one here. I don't review video cards but I do write reviews and I can state there is far more going on behind the scenes than the average person imagines.
It is a lot of work, definitely. I'm surprised how Mike's and Jody's girlfriends put up with them...
Old March 18, 2010, 07:03 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
It is a lot of work, definitely. I'm surprised how Mike's and Jody's girlfriends put up with them...
Her new boyfriend is the Grey's Anatomy Season 2 DVDs.
Old March 18, 2010, 07:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
how would a top of the line video card fare on different cpus?
i get the question a lot, would be nice to point here.
anyone not lazy enough to do a small little writing? like taking resolutions from 25.. and down and comparing a 5870 for example on i7,am3,c2d,939,prescott (at same clock rate) and whatever else has a pci-e slot? :)

i know at lower resolutions the best cpu's do win, but how would a so many years old cpu+board fare with a new card?
There is quite a lot more involved than you can imagine Dan. And believe you me it has nothing to do with being Lazy. The Scope of doing what you propose is an amazing amount of work to ask people who do this already. That being Said, Very Few 939's and Prescotts systems will ever have a 5870 or GTX(Whatever) inside of them. It would be a waste of time really to attempt it on that scope.
Something scaled down? Sure, Slower AM3 setup or i3 vs i5 etc I could see as this Technology is current and modern.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 18, 2010, 08:09 AM
Banned
F@H

as long as the tought is there :)

thanks for the replies