Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 17, 2010, 09:27 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default hey sky and fellow reviewers

how would a top of the line video card fare on different cpus?
i get the question a lot, would be nice to point here.
anyone not lazy enough to do a small little writing? like taking resolutions from 25.. and down and comparing a 5870 for example on i7,am3,c2d,939,prescott (at same clock rate) and whatever else has a pci-e slot? :)

i know at lower resolutions the best cpu's do win, but how would a so many years old cpu+board fare with a new card?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 17, 2010, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,577
Default

clock rates are not comparable between architectures.

also depends on the game's engine. some games are more cpu dependant then others.

you can safely say though, that 95% of the time, the gpu has the predominant effect. anything recent (dual core 2s) and higher wouldn't exactly have any issues playing any game. going lower you might have to turn down some settings.. but for example I know someone who plays left 4 dead 2 on an 8800gt and a P4 530, with only minor problems.

otherwise it's immediately obvious.. a 5870 on a prescott is going to have some problems. the video card just won't get fed enough!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 17, 2010, 10:48 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

well yes, but a nice set of numbers to show the difference would be good. i kind of cleaned out of older hw so no chance for me to do one :)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 18, 2010, 06:01 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,605
Default

"A little writing"? More like lost of writing and weeks of testing. Maybe some day when we're not in the middle of GPU release season but not for the forseeable future.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 18, 2010, 06:12 AM
MrDiaz's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 576

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
"A little writing"? More like lost of writing and weeks of testing. Maybe some day when we're not in the middle of GPU release season but not for the forseeable future.
SKY,

You guys expect to get a FERMI for review in the coming weeks?
__________________
-- Viva Canada! --
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 18, 2010, 06:17 AM
b1lk1's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lindsay, Ontario
Posts: 2,482

My System Specs

Default

dangtx, you need to do this work if you want to see it done. It is painfully obvious you have no clue whatsoever as to the scope of this testing. It would take months to compare multiple cards this way. It sounds like YOU are the lazy one here. I don't review video cards but I do write reviews and I can state there is far more going on behind the scenes than the average person imagines.
__________________
MY HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 18, 2010, 06:57 AM
bojangles's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,683

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
dangtx, you need to do this work if you want to see it done. It is painfully obvious you have no clue whatsoever as to the scope of this testing. It would take months to compare multiple cards this way. It sounds like YOU are the lazy one here. I don't review video cards but I do write reviews and I can state there is far more going on behind the scenes than the average person imagines.
It is a lot of work, definitely. I'm surprised how Mike's and Jody's girlfriends put up with them...
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 18, 2010, 07:03 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
It is a lot of work, definitely. I'm surprised how Mike's and Jody's girlfriends put up with them...
Her new boyfriend is the Grey's Anatomy Season 2 DVDs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 18, 2010, 07:46 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,060

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
how would a top of the line video card fare on different cpus?
i get the question a lot, would be nice to point here.
anyone not lazy enough to do a small little writing? like taking resolutions from 25.. and down and comparing a 5870 for example on i7,am3,c2d,939,prescott (at same clock rate) and whatever else has a pci-e slot? :)

i know at lower resolutions the best cpu's do win, but how would a so many years old cpu+board fare with a new card?
There is quite a lot more involved than you can imagine Dan. And believe you me it has nothing to do with being Lazy. The Scope of doing what you propose is an amazing amount of work to ask people who do this already. That being Said, Very Few 939's and Prescotts systems will ever have a 5870 or GTX(Whatever) inside of them. It would be a waste of time really to attempt it on that scope.
Something scaled down? Sure, Slower AM3 setup or i3 vs i5 etc I could see as this Technology is current and modern.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old March 18, 2010, 08:09 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

as long as the tought is there :)

thanks for the replies
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To my Fellow Folders and Friends. Soultribunal HardwareCanucks F@H Team 54 September 7, 2009 11:26 AM
hey sky _dangtx_ Off Topic 8 August 21, 2009 10:25 AM
Fellow Canucks advice me in this situation :S Silvgearx Off Topic 66 July 11, 2009 02:57 PM
Fellow Canucks ... Check this out and be prepared to be outraged Bones Off Topic 10 March 24, 2009 12:35 AM
Hey Sky, heads up about x8/x8 CF. S_G Video Cards 26 July 21, 2008 03:36 PM