Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2010, 07:18 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default XFX Radeon HD 5830 1GB GDDR5 Review Comment Thread

The HD 5830 was released a few weeks ago and since then we have seen numerous versions from ATIís board partners. Prices have also settled somewhat so this card could have the makings of a good value-oriented product. In this review we take a look at the XFX HD 5830 1GB and see if the weeks after launch have changed our thoughts about ATIís newest card.

[ Read full article ]

Please use this thread for your questions and comments.
Old March 17, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Some games perform not too bad on this card but the others don't at all. 5830 was so dissappointing. Why is it that it seems when the AA is turned on the 5 series cards seem to take more of a hit in FPS compared to the Nvidia cards?
Old March 17, 2010, 07:35 PM

I don't know. Seems like that's the case in most scenarios. I have my theories though.
Old March 17, 2010, 07:48 PM
Banned
F@H

nice read. its either drivers (as always) or the way they do it ...;)
Old March 17, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Fermi better be worth the wait...as in great performance and reasonable heat....or I may just be "jumping ship" and mating a "Red Card" with my Classified ;) ..........been tempted by those XFX 5870's for awhile now...

Great review as always Sky !

Old March 17, 2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

Can anyone comment on the XFX HD 5770 that uses the same design? The shroud shape is practically the same. I haven't come across any reviews but I'm wondering whether it might also be good at low heat and low power consumption.

At first, I didn't know what to make of the shape of the shroud and wondered how it might perform. But, it's likely it would perform in a similar way to the XFX HD 5830 of this review, right?
Old March 17, 2010, 10:15 PM
MVP

I read the comment about the Alien vs Predator game being quite fun. I am a big AVP fan however gamespot gave it a 5.5 which is just aweful! Is the game actually any good?
Old March 18, 2010, 05:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ugh...the price for this card is abysmal! You're basically paying for the addition of DX11 for an insane markup. I hope pricing gets better.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Can anyone comment on the XFX HD 5770 that uses the same design? The shroud shape is practically the same. I haven't come across any reviews but I'm wondering whether it might also be good at low heat and low power consumption.

At first, I didn't know what to make of the shape of the shroud and wondered how it might perform. But, it's likely it would perform in a similar way to the XFX HD 5830 of this review, right?
Different PCBs and different cores. HD 5830 = Cypress LE HD 5770 = Juniper XT As for the heatsink on the HD 5770 from XFX, I believe it is the same one so expect some great performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
I read the comment about the Alien vs Predator game being quite fun. I am a big AVP fan however gamespot gave it a 5.5 which is just aweful! Is the game actually any good?
I like it because I don't usually read video game reviews since they are quite subjective. If I play the demo and like it, I usually pick it up.
Old March 18, 2010, 07:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Promising card, just doesn't deliver. Another great review SKY. Glad I picked up a 5850 instead. If the prices drop though this card might be worth it.