Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default 5870 CF fan control

I was wondering how you guys with two 5870's in CF are controlling the fan speeds on both cards. I'm currently using GPU-Z and CCC (10.2) but it acts funny. Without going into the long description I'm looking to see how others are doing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old March 16, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Kruzin.....I have no experience with ATI / CCC....does it not perform similar to Precision...controlling manual / pre-set speeds either individually or both "linked"? Curious as I've been entertaining the 5870's for awhile now...

Old March 16, 2010, 06:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I used ATI's CCC when I had dual 4870's. I set the fan speeds on both cards and made/saved profiles. For example, I would set both cards to 30% and make a profile called "desktop". I also made a second profile called "gaming" with the fans at 45%. Another thing I would do is set up some hotkeys for activating the profiles. They make life WAY easier. I made "alt-d" for the desktop profile and "alt-g" for gaming.

BTW: Make sure that when you make the profiles that all the sections you want to change when switching to that profile are checked off in the drop down list at the bottom of the "Profiles Manager" window.
Old March 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
Banned
F@H

try overdrive? :)
Old March 16, 2010, 06:27 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
I was wondering how you guys with two 5870's in CF are controlling the fan speeds on both cards. I'm currently using GPU-Z and CCC (10.2) but it acts funny. Without going into the long description I'm looking to see how others are doing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I had the same problem here.. the second card drop the fan speed, but after someone post something here , so I fix it with the utility of MSI; after burner. but you have to live it open, as soon as you close it the CCC take over.
Old March 16, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

rj: Yes, it's supposed work pretty much the same as far as I know. I was using Overdrive but when I tried setting the fan speed on the 2nd card it wouldn't take but it would read whatever I set it too and all the other readings read 0, here's the funny part, when I open GPU-Z click on the 2nd card for sensor checking then click back over to Overdrive and adjust the fan it worked!....until I go back over to GPU-Z, click on the 1st card for readings then the fan on the 2nd card goes back to 20%. Now, once I do get both working and don't mess with anything and close off both CCC and GPU-Z both fans stay as I set them. Does that make any sense?...lol

It's been awhile since I've built a rig using CF, do I need to install drivers for each card (one is XFX, 2nd is Powercolor)? I don't remember if I installed just one set of drivers for the XFX or both sets, maybe I should reinstall the drivers and see what happens?

Old March 16, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I had the same problem here.. the second card drop the fan speed, but after someone post something here , so I fix it with the utility of MSI; after burner. but you have to live it open, as soon as you close it the CCC take over.
Maybe I'll give that a try.

Old March 16, 2010, 06:56 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
card for sensor checking
if you make test custom clock on the ATI CCC overdrive menu of the second card, you will have the reading too. I don't have the second 5870 anymore so I can't make more test. but it's very anoying.

try to swap the card..
try it , ( I was supose to do so before sell it, ) I have the idea that is related to the position of the card, I remove them to install the motherboard in a new case, and I think I do not place them in the same order, I'm pretty sure I do not have the problem before I remove them
Old March 16, 2010, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I get the readings just fine after getting the fan to work using the GPU-Z thing, I think it has something to do more the drivers and CCC but not sure. The cards have been in the same positions from the beginning so I doubt that is it but I may try that too.

Old March 16, 2010, 07:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Kruzn4evr, reading your OP I though you wanted to know how others are controlling their fan speeds, not that you were having an issue controlling them. I would try uninstalling, then reinstalling your drivers before anything....... and yes one driver will do both cards.