Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2007, 01:46 AM
MVP

Default A word about Direct x...well more like a series of questions...

I don't understand all of this 'these cards over here are dx 9.x and below only and these one here are dx 10.x' type of chatter.

I have a couple pc's here and one is older and I can install Direct x 9.x on it with no problems so why can't these these pc's with the "dx 9.x" gpu's be loaded with dx 10.x?

Will they not be able to use all of the new features for dx 10.x, is that the case?

I just cannot believe that a gpu like the 8800 gtx or 2900 xt won't be able to run any Dx 10.x software just because of this or else what would be the point to spend massive amounts of money(well massive to me) buying these cards if they would be useless in short order.

What is all this hub bub?

Haven't been able to find much to read on the subject...

Sorry to ask, I usually do not like to ask questions as I can usually find the answer for myself...I understand hat all of our time is valuable and I do not wish to waste anyone's.

Thanks for reading this blabbering.

EDIT: Mods, this is the best fit for this topic I could find, if it is supposed to be someplace else I apologize.

Last edited by qwerty; October 20, 2007 at 01:49 AM. Reason: EDIT
Old October 20, 2007, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You can install any form of DX x you like, but your video card will only use the level that it is capable of. The DX levels are standards set that the cards are required to be able to run to meet those standards. Current DX10 cards will not run DX10.1 features, but since we haven't even seen a decent game running normal DX10 features, there is no issue yet.

A DX9 card cannot run DX10 features because it was not built with the proper components and does not have the proper features to do so. You can install the latest DX software, but your DX9 card will always only run DX9 features. DX is backwards compatible only. If you ask me, DX10 has been a big disappointment so far. If game devs were forced to optimize their code better, we would have better games already.
Old October 20, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
I don't understand all of this 'these cards over here are dx 9.x and below only and these one here are dx 10.x' type of chatter.

I have a couple pc's here and one is older and I can install Direct x 9.x on it with no problems so why can't these these pc's with the "dx 9.x" gpu's be loaded with dx 10.x?

Will they not be able to use all of the new features for dx 10.x, is that the case?

I just cannot believe that a gpu like the 8800 gtx or 2900 xt won't be able to run any Dx 10.x software just because of this or else what would be the point to spend massive amounts of money(well massive to me) buying these cards if they would be useless in short order.

What is all this hub bub?

Haven't been able to find much to read on the subject...

Sorry to ask, I usually do not like to ask questions as I can usually find the answer for myself...I understand hat all of our time is valuable and I do not wish to waste anyone's.

Thanks for reading this blabbering.

EDIT: Mods, this is the best fit for this topic I could find, if it is supposed to be someplace else I apologize.
DirectX is a software API that interfaces with the video card in your system. So if you have DX9 installed (Windows XP) you can use a DX 9 or 10 card but it will only use DX9 as DX10 is backwards compatible.
Old October 20, 2007, 10:57 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You can install any form of DX x you like, but your video card will only use the level that it is capable of. The DX levels are standards set that the cards are required to be able to run to meet those standards. Current DX10 cards will not run DX10.1 features, but since we haven't even seen a decent game running normal DX10 features, there is no issue yet.

A DX9 card cannot run DX10 features because it was not built with the proper components and does not have the proper features to do so. You can install the latest DX software, but your DX9 card will always only run DX9 features. DX is backwards compatible only. If you ask me, DX10 has been a big disappointment so far. If game devs were forced to optimize their code better, we would have better games already.
I know that the DX10.1 will not affect nvidia cards because they are designed so they can emulate them in software. Do you remember the NVIDIA 6 series and MSAA? well yeah MSAA was emulated by the software... so nvidia will probably do the same shit with dx10.1
Old October 20, 2007, 11:46 AM
Rookie

There's actualy two factors at play here. Let's not forget that DX10 is Vista only. If you get a DX10 card but run it on an XP rig, you will not see the DX10 'prettiness'. Also, current DX10 cards will not take advantage of DX10.1 but as was mentioned, DX10 is barely off the ground as it is.
Old October 20, 2007, 12:09 PM
MVP

This is what I suspected. Interesting point about the emulating software bit...I'm going to look into that. Makes sense though as it is common for older hardware to use software like that. As older video cards that don't have Open GL but have it enabled due to software emulation.

Hrmm..

EDIT : So Mindwarp, I guess they are like each other then ...Vista and Dx10, they both promise a lot but have yet to deliver..:)

Last edited by qwerty; October 20, 2007 at 12:12 PM.