Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2010, 12:31 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Here is my "answer" to your question. You can buy the ATI cards now...unless you are willing to waite for 3-4 months for a price drop of any importance. The reason I say that is.
(a) fermi is going to be about the same price as the ATI parts.
(b) If Nvidia had something performance wise to brag about, we would have heard about it by now.
(c) The 470 and 480 are going to be in short supply
(d) The most important reason...assuming (c) is correct.....most of these cards will be bought by people who waited for them (read: Nvidia fans) and ATI knows that no price drop was going to get them to buy ATI.

The only 2 things that could change this are...much better performance by the Nvidia parts...probably not going to happen....or better supply of cards than expected.
But in gaming world there is the Physics part in the equation......?

Of cource this is all IMHO.......
Old March 13, 2010, 12:37 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-Fuzzy View Post
Here is my "answer" to your question. You can buy the ATI cards now...unless you are willing to waite for 3-4 months for a price drop of any importance. The reason I say that is.
(a) fermi is going to be about the same price as the ATI parts.
(b) If Nvidia had something performance wise to brag about, we would have heard about it by now.
(c) The 470 and 480 are going to be in short supply
(d) The most important reason...assuming (c) is correct.....most of these cards will be bought by people who waited for them (read: Nvidia fans) and ATI knows that no price drop was going to get them to buy ATI.

The only 2 things that could change this are...much better performance by the Nvidia parts...probably not going to happen....or better supply of cards than expected.
But in gaming world there is the Physics part in the equation......?

Of cource this is all IMHO.......
+ 1, 2, 3 and 10 ...I will not have say better for my feeling about the Fermi and the reason why I buy 2 * 5870
Old March 13, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Or maybe because nvidia is like apple and keeps everything quiet till release. This is the same for every single new nvidia line-up. I don't see the big fuss about it. If nvidia shows their hand it just means ATI has more time to combat it.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 13, 2010, 03:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Or maybe because nvidia is like apple and keeps everything quiet till release. This is the same for every single new nvidia line-up. I don't see the big fuss about it. If nvidia shows their hand it just means ATI has more time to combat it.
Again..I don't work for Nvidia so I really don't know....but I would think that by now ATI knows what Nvidia has and Does not have. But time will tell. As to the keeping it quiet part....I do belive they were bragging about the 1 benchmark with the Unigine engine. It is also the one that would be best case scenerio for thier card...but not a peep on the real world games. That tells me they have nothing to tell. the one topic I do know something about is the PR game. If Nvidia had a great performing part and kept it quiet all this time......the stockholders would be looking for blood....and they would get it to. You do not sit quiet and let the compitition sell thier parts for 6 months when you have a much better part coming out.

Again....IMHO..

edit:..I guess I should mention that I do not have an ATI card in any of my 8 computers.

Last edited by Wi-Fuzzy; March 13, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old March 14, 2010, 12:48 PM
Rookie
F@H

you'll always be waiting, because there will always be something around the corner
Old March 14, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by divertiti View Post
you'll always be waiting, because there will always be something around the corner

Agreed. Something is always coming that is better. You either have continuously upgrade, or just suck it up that something better will be out soon. That being said, sometimes a specific part can be worth waiting for.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old March 14, 2010, 05:52 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry for the delay in responding, thanks for the responses. I will wait to see what Nvidia announces on the 26th. Hopefully ATI responds with a price drop that will allow me to spend a price drop on other hardware. Either way after the 26th I'll make a decision and start the upgrade process. It's so close now until the announcement I might as well wait. Another week won't kill me.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post

Nicely said Wi-Fuzzy, unless fermi is out of this world, a lot of us will be disappointed!
Old March 17, 2010, 09:44 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

do we have an ETA or even a glimpse about the ATI 5890?