Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2010, 01:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSix View Post
I think what we have here is a case of "Baffled by their own bull5hit" product naming schemes. It sounds like an upgrade. That, or they hope you are technically ignorant.
Good one and I certainly agree with your statement. It's funny, I think they are getting bitten in the arse by their own scheme.

Old April 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
Banned
F@H

its not that bad. a bit of oc and you get there.
Old April 30, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGardiner View Post
So I complain to BFG an they instruct me ship the 9800 GT back to them. I do so at my expense and you will never guess what card they send me as a replacement.......

A 9800 GT OC. The same model card that I had just sent back.
OK...now I would be very annoyed. Time to call them up and talk to their customer retention section. Explain to them what the hell is going on, and make them PAY for shipping the card back and getting a upgrade. Be polite but firm and make sure they understand that you WILL drop them like a bad habit, tell everyone about your experience (in person and on the web) and how they are NOT honoring their warranty. Companies who sell for more because of the warranty are sensitive to that (or at least anything that can hurt their rep in the enthusiast community) Do that and you may get a card that would make up for all that hassle.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 30, 2010, 04:42 PM
Banned
F@H

there was talk of issues with bfg's future... so maybe that plays a factor?
Old April 30, 2010, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Upgrade

I think by their own admittance that they made a mistake, ya right! These things do happen, but I would very diplomatically state your case for a further upgrade for all the trouble. Remember that they and you are human after all and if you're yelling and screaming at them, the chances of getting another upgrade will be less likely.

Good luck.
Old May 1, 2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

Did the OP mean to leave off the '+' with the 2nd card? I checked the BFG page and both cards exist. If he didn't forget, that means they sent him an even 'weaker' card??!?

I have never had to RMA a graphics card (knock on wood...that I never have to) but I agree with everything said here. It's tough to refrain from getting mad and screaming at them so ask to speak for a manager or someone higher than the first person you talk to. Go up, as high as you can, since they won't like that. Some heads may roll a bit. Also, have the specs in front of you since you don't know if the person on the phone will have a clue or realize the technical differences. Know what you're talking about or sound like you do. Also, if at all possible, try to get someone to email you what they will send and you will acknowledge (a simple, 'yeah, got your email... thanks for sending X card' will do). That will save unnecessary costly shipments). Yeah, I would not pay for the 2nd shipment as that's definitely their error after they realized the wrong card the first time. I'm not sure they'll do the 'email confirmation' but saying you won't buy from them again or some threat won't get a better card back, probably. I would say that I would tell people about my experiences if 'the same error' happens again. Say another 'mistake' will appear intentional in your eyes or an example of neglecting you as a customer. Say you saved the emails and they will probably ensure a better card gets sent out.

Just my $.02
Old May 1, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thumbs up RMA Video Card

I agree with technix. Be level headed when dealing with them and you'll probably do ok. If they give you a hard time, then mention that when dealing with another manufacturer,not necessarily concerning computer stuff, that they pointed out to you that customer satisfaction is their top priority. After all, without a customer base there is no business. Good luck.
Old May 2, 2010, 03:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Vented in an e-mail to them. Received the canned "call our customer support" response. Will give them a call.

I have since upgraded to a 5850, but that's not the point. The replacement card will go in my wife's rig so she can surf facebook and send e-mails. I don't like feeling that I'm being taken for a ride.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGardiner View Post
Vented in an e-mail to them. Received the canned "call our customer support" response. Will give them a call.

I have since upgraded to a 5850, but that's not the point. The replacement card will go in my wife's rig so she can surf facebook and send e-mails. I don't like feeling that I'm being taken for a ride.
I would do the same. The replacement should be as good or better, not slower.
Old May 2, 2010, 07:08 AM
Rookie

Honestly though, what hand do you have to play if they stick to their guns on the 9800 GT OC? You can go back and forth with this, spend more of your time on it all for a GPU that will only be used for emails and Facebook.

I don't think it's worth the hassle, OP. I think the replacement card is fair. It's probably the closest thing they have to your card performance-wise without going above and offering you a 5770/5830.