Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2010, 04:56 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
HD4890 will run that resolution without much effort unless you just have to have 16X AA going.

As for waiting, it is foolish to wauit. GTX480 is not gonna flop, but it will be expensive and ATI's prices will just climb due to lack of competition.

It will be a repeat of the 3000 and the GTS' series basically.

If there is a price war it won't come until the end of the series life, possibly 2011 onwards.

No way prices are dropping in 2010, these companies lost too much revenues in 2009 due to the recession and they will recoup their costs now.
Old March 2, 2010, 05:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would get the ATI card, or a high end previous gen nvidia card. I got lucky when I bought my 5870 on launch date that it didnt have any bugs or major quirks, My opinion on most launch parts is that we are paying an absorbant amount of money to beta test this hardware on a large scale.
Old March 2, 2010, 06:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I know it's hard to decide on which product you should buy when new technologies are coming out. But you also need to realize that it's been like this for years and it'll never change. That's how the market works...new powerful products will keep emerging and your current hardware no matter how good it might be, will always have a superior.

The 5870 is an EXCELLENT card, period. If you are stuck in deciding because FERMI is coming out soon, then what about Northern Islands? (new ATI's cards) If you keep troubling yourself with these things you'll never buy anything :) trust me on that one.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:04 AM
Banned
F@H

Old March 2, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look it is 24 days or 3 weeks and 3 days to wait. It's not like you can't play any game right now near max settings. And it's not like he needs to wait till the summer for ATI to release new cards. I will say it is foolish to go high end right now. Waiting such a short time period isn't gonna kill anybody. More like 23 1/3 days left.

Who wants to bet that there will be a price war? Unless Nvidia is utterly stupid and over prices their cards there will be a price war. Nvidia is gonna want to get as many cards out as possible to catch up to ATI sales so nvidia will sell their cards as low as possible and that means ATI will then be forced to drop their prices because they have the room to do so.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 2, 2010, 03:31 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Look it is 24 days or 3 weeks and 3 days to wait......
poor dreamer.. he think in 24 days the Fermi will be available in store, or the ATI will drop price
Old March 2, 2010, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
poor dreamer.. he think in 24 days the Fermi will be available in store, or the ATI will drop price
Agreed, I bet Fermi launch will be a paper launch or VERY limited quantity at a inflated price. I doubt AMD will drop price anytime soon.
Old March 2, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No I didn't say in 24 days the prices will drop. More like sometime in April-May. I have no doubt people will be able to get them at the end of the month. There are already photos of the cards online and there are boxes so they are in production right now building up stock. It may be a limited release but it will be released. Do you think nvidia is just sitting on their butts right now?

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 2, 2010, 04:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

No harm in waiting.If you can hold off until Nvidia launches its not to long away and
we might see a small price drop if where lucky.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah well I got my monitor, and all I've ran so far is DiRT 2, and it played wonderfully using the same settings as before (4xAA I believe), just bumped up the resolution.

So that makes waiting a bit easier. Hopefully BF:BC2 doesn't run too terribly...