Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2007, 10:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
if i were you buy the best single card solution you can afford.
I agree with this. If you want to wait go ahead but there will be something around the corner forever.
Old October 17, 2007, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default oh thats interesting

Yes just wait a few weeks for the GT (G92) assuming there are enough in stock. Since your buying so close to the new architecture it could be worth waiting for something a bit more efficient. I think they'll be about the same price. Looks like Nvidia is plugging that mid to high end gap now. Although I dont know how the GT will fair against the GTX?

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old October 17, 2007, 01:59 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
Hrm...some interesting options...

I have an old Radeon 7000 64mb now that I am planning on using until I can decide what to do...but I don't know what kind of games this relic can play, I haven't used it in years. Found it today in my pile of spare parts I have kicking around...

Thanks for all the reply's.
is that Rad 7000 AGP or PCI?
Old October 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theblackmages View Post
is that Rad 7000 AGP or PCI?

Regular PCI
Old October 21, 2007, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

So, I have read many times(on this forum, his name escapes me) now that I should buy the best single card I can afford.

The question is that should I buy the best card from the newest series, G80 based, or should I get the best card from the G70 series?

The best card I can afford that is of course...

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old October 21, 2007, 12:34 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

well I can afford to buy the best card but have a problem paying such a ludicrous price for a card so instead usually opt for second best, in this case the 8800GTS, and have found this strategy to work well through the entire 7000 series as well as now in the 8000 series.
I would not suggest buying a 7000 series card as regardless of the controversy, DX10 is here to stay and future games will be engineered to spec so you will be severely disadvantaged graphically
Old October 21, 2007, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

*gasp* I have a 64MB Radeon 7000 PCI too!
Have fun with that, it was a crap card when it came out. IIRC it is missing Transform & Lighting or something and that really hobbles it. heh. If you don't care if it is at risk until you get something better then you might consider overclocking that sucker to the limit for fun.
The VRAM on mine (I think it is a sapphire.. black PCB + silver colour HS little in the way of markings) went up to 238.85Mhz without any hardware modifications. Higher and I had slight artifacts.
I used ATIccelerator II. I know, pussy overclocking. (PPC Mac users are not completely limited to "pussy overclocking" however, as seen in the letter at the end of articles such as this: Dual G4 533MHz Overclocking )

I have not done the GPU yet as that requires re-flashing it and my most recent PC is not setup.

There are too many games for me to list but as for a short list of what games it can handle, things like Halo, UT03, DOOM 3, Postal 2, 007 Nightfire, BF1942, Enemy Engaged, Wolf ET, CoD, Ford Racing 2(meh, it is crap anyway), C&C Generals, Danger from the Deep, etc are out. Well, Halo is pushing acceptable with one or two other players on blood gulch but I would not consider it that decent really. That is coming from someone who played through the Halo demo on a 300Mhz G3 w/ 1MB L2 on 100Mhz bus, 512MB 168pin PC100 SDRAM and a 64MB DDR Radon 7000 PCI in a 66Mhz 32bit PCI slot. ...don't look at me like that, it was 2005 if I recall and I needed something to do.

Games such as WarCraft III, Warrior Kings, Soldier of Fortune II, FreeSpace 2 OSP, BTRL, Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, SW JK: JA, X-Plane 7, AvP2, Max Payne, GR: DS, Urban Terror, Tremulous, Sauerbraten, TIR, Racer, MoH, etc are mostly playable if not easy for the card. You will want to keep your screen res fairly low though, 640x480 to 1024x786 should be your limits.
On a side note, I am only using OpenGL here so these lists may not completely apply for everybody.

Last edited by MacJunky; October 21, 2007 at 12:54 PM.