Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2010, 07:14 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB Toxic Review Comment Thread

ATI has been gaining steam with numerous releases over the last few months but none have come close to the price / performance ratio of the HD 5850. In this review we take a look at Sapphire's Toxic Edition which features high overclocks while packing a Vapor-X cooler and custom PCB. To whet your appetite even more, Sapphire has priced this card within a few dollars of the reference card.

[ Read full article ]

Please use this thread to post your questions and comments.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Add to that the fact that is it omni-directional (due to the low air pressure) whereas copper sticks to the old “heat rises” mantra
This bit doesn't really make sense. "Heat rising" refers to convective airflow, but that doesn't apply when dealing with heat transfer through a solid conductor. In that situation, heat will flow from hotter to colder areas regardless of direction.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
This bit doesn't really make sense. "Heat rising" refers to convective airflow, but that doesn't apply when dealing with heat transfer through a solid conductor. In that situation, heat will flow from hotter to colder areas regardless of direction.
It has been removed but your statement should be expanded upon to a certain extent. Heat transfer through a solid conductor may be dictated by the transition of hot to cold areas but can also be influenced by orientation of both areas in relation to one another.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Impressive card!!! and it doesn't cost that much more than a reference one. I'm always amazed by their Vapor-X/Toxic card, can't go wrong with them.
Old February 21, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

definitely impressive temps on that card.

Also I think a small mistake was made in the table on page 7, the memory and speed values are switched.

A little OT, but technically 'heat rising' is advection
Old February 21, 2010, 09:26 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It has been removed but your statement should be expanded upon to a certain extent. Heat transfer through a solid conductor may be dictated by the transition of hot to cold areas but can also be influenced by orientation of both areas in relation to one another.
Well, on a microstructural level it can be affected by the orientation of different atoms with respect to the crystal structure of the material, but as far as orientation in the sense of up or down, it doesn't make a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
A little OT, but technically 'heat rising' is advection
Advection is when the flow of air causes the heat to move, and convection is when the heat itself creates an airflow. So it depends on whether you mean heat rising due to it being moved by air, or heat rising simply because of its temperature compared to the surrounding air. Generally when people talk about heat rising, they are referring to natural convection.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

wow that's impressive... even cooler than the reference 5770 wow...
Old February 21, 2010, 10:50 PM
Banned
F@H

nice card, decent read. went over it very fast as usual, didnt notice major bugs :)
Old February 22, 2010, 06:36 AM
MVP
F@H

Great review (as usual). One thing you didn't touch on - the overall look of the card. I think it's quite fetching, although I suppose that's being subjective. I'd have to put a mirror on the bottom of my case so I could admire that one.
Old February 22, 2010, 06:38 AM

I believe I used the word "stunning". No? ;)