Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2010, 06:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
So that board is a MSI K9A2 Platinum. Thats a pretty solid setup you got, so instead of buy a new gpu, why not try to get the CPU to clock at 2.8ghz-3.0ghz?

Darkfall doesn't seem to be that graphic hungry, even for a single 4850.
It's an original Phenom though, no amount of overclocking is really going to help IMO. They just weren't good CPUs to begin with.

About a 15-20% gain changing CPUs (that's in a system with a GTX280), so I think it would be a fairly worthwhile upgrade.

Can grab the X4 945 for $159.99 and a HD5850 for around $300? I think that's the better route, but that's just me.
Old February 22, 2010, 11:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
So that board is a MSI K9A2 Platinum. Thats a pretty solid setup you got, so instead of buy a new gpu, why not try to get the CPU to clock at 2.8ghz-3.0ghz?

Darkfall doesn't seem to be that graphic hungry, even for a single 4850.
I'm not really super savvy (as you might have noticed) and I'm wary of overclocking, this my computer has had some issues with overheating in the past. Is overclocking a CPU something that is fairly simple to do?

Darkfall isn't graphic hungry, if there are only like 50-100 folks on the screen. It is when you get beyond that the framerate starts to drop off sharply, and recently I've attended a lot of fights with 500 people running around where my FPS was about 10, which makes it really hard to fight and aim in.
Old February 22, 2010, 09:32 PM
MVP

What kind of cooler are you using? Is it a stock or aftermarket?

Overclocking is fairly easy if you read up a bit beforehand. As for the heat issue, you'll probably want an aftermarket sink if you're doing any kind of OCing beyond stock voltages.
Old February 22, 2010, 10:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

of note:

MICRO-STAR INTERNATION MS-7376 1.0

the 1.0 is stating the motherboard revision number.

just for future reference.
Old February 23, 2010, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For starters I think it must be the CPU thats holding you back. For now why not try to drop your details to low and see if it still give you massive lag. If it does its the CPU and your better off getting a new CPU.

If you still get the same results then you can start thinking about a new GPU.

Since your not comfortable overclock, I advice you not to touch the settings. Best you just get some new parts
Old February 24, 2010, 09:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
It's an original Phenom though, no amount of overclocking is really going to help IMO. They just weren't good CPUs to begin with.

About a 15-20% gain changing CPUs (that's in a system with a GTX280), so I think it would be a fairly worthwhile upgrade.

Can grab the X4 945 for $159.99 and a HD5850 for around $300? I think that's the better route, but that's just me.
Well, my 5870 arrived, and I'm fairly happy with it for games like The Witcher and Dragon Age. Better FPS, at about 40c cooler than the previous crossfire setup. Darkfall is definitely better, but I think the CPU is bottle-necking the graphics card (or Darkfall is just huge on the CPU calculations). Would the X4 945 be a good fit for my motherboard and overall setup? It is within the price range, I'm curious if it will fit in my computer properly. The 5870 itself was so large and so in charge it took a LOT effort to get it into my case.

Again, thanks a lot to all the contributors of this thread! It is a huge relief to know that what I'm buying isn't going to light my computer on fire with horrific incompatibilities :)