Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2010, 03:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default What ATI 5XXX card for 1080P??

Hey guys.

Moving my 5870 to watercooling and slide it into my Murdermod that is being built. It was in my HTPC and I was gaming on it on my Projector. Way overkill anyway IMHO for the resolution I was using it at, so I want to grab something a little less powerful, but still has bitstream capabilities.

Does anyone have any experience with 1080P gaming and 5 series cards?

Thanks!!

Damon.
Old February 19, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I know where you can find a 5850 for a good price including shipping today...

But other than that; what games are you playing with it? you could likely do most RTS's and strategy games with a 5770. Heavy FPS's would need a bit of umph though.
Old February 19, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I only know about the HD playback

The ati 5 series are just like the 4 series for HD video. For easy sake go with a nvidia 8 series and up and enable DXVA.(with 182.xx drivers and higher of course, no more need for coreavc )

Last edited by Silvgearx; February 19, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Well I know where you can find a 5850 for a good price including shipping today...

But other than that; what games are you playing with it? you could likely do most RTS's and strategy games with a 5770. Heavy FPS's would need a bit of umph though.
I spotted you card and gave it some thought LOL.

Just not a big increased clock card kind of guy. It will most likely go on watercooling so any OC is attainable beyond what factory OC cards are going to put out anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
I only know about the HD playback

The ati 5 series are just like the 4 series for HD video. For easy sake go with a nvidia 8 series and up and enable DXVA.(with 182.xx drivers and higher of course, no more need for coreavc )
Ya, I have 2 GTX 280s that I could use in my HTPC but I need HD audio Bitstream capabilities that the 5XXX series offer as I rip all my Blu-rays to my WHS and decode with my head unit. I do some gaming on my HTPC but dont think I need even a 5850 for pushing the res.

Was looking to sell my GTX 280's and move to ATI in my upcoming Murdermod (it has been an absolute marathon, but will be worth it in the end)

Perhaps the 5850 is the card I seek?

Any one else with opinions?
Old February 19, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually sounds like the 5770 is the card you're looking for. It'll output the video and audio you're looking for in your htpc, and it's capable of mild gaming. Even at that resolution it should stand up from what I've read on it. And at $200, you can't really beat the price.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:51 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

All the cards are good for this.

You need the proper software to support the decoding, and/or drivers and what not, and every 5 series works great. 4 series as well.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Actually sounds like the 5770 is the card you're looking for. It'll output the video and audio you're looking for in your htpc, and it's capable of mild gaming. Even at that resolution it should stand up from what I've read on it. And at $200, you can't really beat the price.
Actually what I was thinking, but wanted somebody else to say it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeclared View Post
All the cards are good for this.

You need the proper software to support the decoding, and/or drivers and what not, and every 5 series works great. 4 series as well.

I dont think the 4 series supports Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA bitstream, which I use allot. I currently have my 5870 HD bitstreaming to my Pioneer SC-05 and it kicks ass.

Most likely will be going with the 5770.
Old February 20, 2010, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ati 4 series AC-3, AAC, DTS, DTS-HD & Dolby True-HD

Ati 5 series AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

I am just wondering, are you using the HDMI for your speakers? How exactly do you hook gpu to speakers?
Old February 22, 2010, 06:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
Ati 4 series AC-3, AAC, DTS, DTS-HD & Dolby True-HD

Ati 5 series AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

I am just wondering, are you using the HDMI for your speakers? How exactly do you hook gpu to speakers?
Very interesting.... At the time I had a 4890 it didnt support HD audio bitstream...

And as far as the GPU to speakers goes, I have the GPU in my HTPC which is connected to my headunit (Pioneer SC-05) that decodes via bitstream and is then passed to my discrete amps connected to my speakers. Nice thing is I know exactly what is happening to the stream when using bitstream as my AMP does all the decoding and I know nothing is being downsampled/messed with. Now I can get rid of my fatty PS3 as I only used it for BD.
Old February 23, 2010, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks