Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old February 24, 2010, 02:42 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 199

My System Specs

Default

Well i have a Powercolor PCS+ AX5850 since a week now and i'am loving it for 1920x1080p gaming. All the fonctionallity of the 5870 for a little less price..
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old February 24, 2010, 01:08 PM
Oversized Rooster's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 609

My System Specs

Default

Damon, out of the new 5000 series lineup, the 5570 and above have bitstreaming capabilities.

Unfortunately that card is rather expensive around the $90 mark. You may as well put in another $10 and get a 5670.
__________________
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old February 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 543

My System Specs

Default

Hmmm.... this reminds me. I have a TV that transmits 5.1 surround from HDMI it receives through the optical audio out. It was great to hook up to my surround but for some reason my 4890 would only do 2.1 through the HDMI. Does anyone know for certain that if I get a 5850 I can transmit 5.1 from PC HDMI to TV to Receiver (with Optical Audio). It'd be great to be able to not have to return this system since it's an ultra slim receiver (only 1 hdmi out, optical in, wireless speakers) since I want to get a 5850 anyway. Anyone know for sure?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old February 24, 2010, 03:13 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 199

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Hmmm.... this reminds me. I have a TV that transmits 5.1 surround from HDMI it receives through the optical audio out. It was great to hook up to my surround but for some reason my 4890 would only do 2.1 through the HDMI. Does anyone know for certain that if I get a 5850 I can transmit 5.1 from PC HDMI to TV to Receiver (with Optical Audio). It'd be great to be able to not have to return this system since it's an ultra slim receiver (only 1 hdmi out, optical in, wireless speakers) since I want to get a 5850 anyway. Anyone know for sure?
My 5850 is connected to my AVR-3808CI Denon, it's a receiver. And the 5850 output 7.1 PCM and Bitstream to my amp. So yes it does output 5.1 in HDMI.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old February 24, 2010, 03:17 PM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 543

My System Specs

Default

Yeah but if it goes to the TV first, does it still transmit in 5.1. The 4XXX can transmit in 5.1 but if they're routed through something else first (say, a Samsung PN50B650 :)) they lock into stereo transmission only. I emailed Sapphire support but they couldn't find a way to force it to 5.1 (and yes my TV will transmit 5.1 through Optical Out)
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old February 24, 2010, 04:03 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 199

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Yeah but if it goes to the TV first, does it still transmit in 5.1. The 4XXX can transmit in 5.1 but if they're routed through something else first (say, a Samsung PN50B650 :)) they lock into stereo transmission only. I emailed Sapphire support but they couldn't find a way to force it to 5.1 (and yes my TV will transmit 5.1 through Optical Out)
Humm ok. so i can't help you. I know that the 4XXX had problems with HDMI audio. Like my receiver didn't work in DX10 games. Now it work just fine everywhere...
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old February 24, 2010, 04:27 PM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 543

My System Specs

Default

No worries, thanks for the input though. It makes me think I might have better luck with a 5xxx series. I could return the set this weekend, but damn I love those wireless speakers :D

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to get a Sapphire Toxic 5850 now or wait and see what Fermi is like...... darn you nVidia! Hurry up so I can decide if I need to end my Ati love
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old February 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
turtletrax's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not in PPC's pocket.
Posts: 541

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Yeah but if it goes to the TV first, does it still transmit in 5.1. The 4XXX can transmit in 5.1 but if they're routed through something else first (say, a Samsung PN50B650 :)) they lock into stereo transmission only. I emailed Sapphire support but they couldn't find a way to force it to 5.1 (and yes my TV will transmit 5.1 through Optical Out)

No luck on passing thru your TV first and retaining 5.1. For some reason they neuter the bitstream to 2.1 :(

This is not a card limitation either, just the way it works... Sucks
__________________
"The thing about internet quotes is you can not confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old February 25, 2010, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 199

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
No worries, thanks for the input though. It makes me think I might have better luck with a 5xxx series. I could return the set this weekend, but damn I love those wireless speakers :D

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to get a Sapphire Toxic 5850 now or wait and see what Fermi is like...... darn you nVidia! Hurry up so I can decide if I need to end my Ati love
Depend on the price the 480 is likekely to be 729$CAD and the 470 is Unknow..
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATI 5xxx series issues and driver updates rfielder Video Cards 30 February 21, 2010 04:41 AM
[WTB] ATI Video Card norfolk Buy/Sell & Trade 3 December 3, 2009 03:31 PM
5XXX?? clone63 Video Cards 2 September 27, 2009 10:18 AM
WTB: ATI All-In-Wonder card FrankyG Buy/Sell & Trade 1 November 12, 2008 04:12 PM