Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 06:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default EVGA GTX 280 Cooling Solution

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions on cooling solutions for the Nvidia GTX 280 GPUs.

The stock HSF is like a rocket taking off.. and looking for an alternative aftermarket heatsink + fan for it.

Thermalright has the HR-03, which is both huge and expensive.. I am going to be putting 3x vid cards (280 + 2x 260s) in the system, so the heatsink and fan cannot be more than two slots.

I see Prolimatech has the MK-13, and NCIX does not have any stock (sad face..) does this take up more than 2 spaces? it does look fairly thin.. wondering if anyone has the unit.

The last solution I can think of is watercooling - which could be done, however it's a lot more expensive route since I have a lot of folding boxes being setup, and would need 3-4 watercooling rigs.

Thanks

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 4, 2010, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Xigmatek makes a fantastic cooler right now... the BiFrost is hard to find but it does work wonders.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old February 4, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is killer and work fine.
Arctic Cooling

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 10, 2010, 02:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Damn I love the look of that Bifrost, and it's cooling capabilities, but yes can't find any for sale.

Anyone using a Accelero XTREME GTX or Accelero XTREME GTX Pro?

I was thinking about the GTX as it's $30 cheaper than the Pro, and they look the same except the mount, which could be a huge difference..

Looking for anyone who is using oneor the other, or any aftermarket cooling on a GTX 280/260.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:37 PM
MVP

Personally I'd save the money you'd spend on a heatsink and put it toward a Fermi card or a 5870.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just curious, the thing that has always "irked" me with any of those "AM Coolers" for a GTX 280 / 260 is that the Hot air is not being vented out the back of the Case ..correct? If so, just how effective is it going to be at keeping them cool, all that heat being kept within the Case a little longer has to have some effect.

The temp Graphs look very impressive btw!

Old February 10, 2010, 03:42 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Hey guys,... I am going to be putting 3x vid cards (280 + 2x 260s) in the system, so the heatsink and fan cannot be more than two slots.
One question that came in my mind when I see this setup and it can change my reply ...

are you folding with those card ?

Old February 10, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just so your aware, my 3 x 280's "barely fit" on the Board, they're pretty much right tight to one another, in other words thier is NO room at all for even so much as a 1 mm out.

Old February 10, 2010, 07:54 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Just so your aware, my 3 x 280's "barely fit" on the Board, they're pretty much right tight to one another, in other words thier is NO room at all for even so much as a 1 mm out.
will be worry even more if you was folding.. it's why I ask the OP, I don't see why he will use 2 x 260 and a 280 if it's not for folding .
Old February 11, 2010, 07:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yeah, for folding. I've switched my setups around a lot since initially laying out a folding farm in my basement/garage.
Instead of paying $80 for a heatsink/fan for the 280s, i'm going with watercooling. The new watercooling rig is sitting at purolator currently, going in later to pick it up (no time to set it up until tomorrow night tho.)

I've switched to two 280s (watercooled) in my main box, and setting the 260s up in other i7 folding boxes. Don't know how bigadv and GPU is going to work, but we'll see.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.