Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2010, 09:59 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 512MB Review Comment Thread

ATI continues their march into all areas of the market and today has released the lowest-end card of the 5000-series: the HD 5450. This isnít a high performance card by any stretch of the imagination but may just offer the perfect mix of low-end gaming performance, excellent HD decoding and efficiency that it will be the card of choice in the sub-$75 price segment.

You can read the full review here: Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 512MB DDR3 Review

And yes, we actually used games, programs and settings which are within the target market for this card.

Enjoy!!!
Old February 3, 2010, 10:23 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Farmville? Really?
Old February 3, 2010, 10:30 PM

Yup. I figured I may as well try Flash 10.1 acceleration on something 79 million+ people care about. ;)

One thing's for sure. I wasn't going to make an ass out of the review and test Crysis while bitching about how a $60 GPU couldn't play it...
Old February 3, 2010, 11:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

:( a sad day at HWC

but seriously, for a few dollars more, you get soooo much more than this. Which means that the only ones who will want to buy this are companies that are trying to make a buck; Dell and the like :(
Old February 4, 2010, 06:29 AM

I agree. Like I said in the conclusion: it allows system builders to slap a DX11 badge on their low-end products.
Old February 4, 2010, 07:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Just a question then, and please don't take offense... why did you review this? Did Sapphire just send it to you, or were you expecting something different in the performance?
Old February 4, 2010, 07:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I still think it's sad that ATI feels the need to have a different card for every 25$ increment between 75 and 300$.

I know it's all about getting your product out there on the market but damn... So many cards to choose from that you dont know what performs better then what anymore.
Old February 4, 2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
Just a question then, and please don't take offense... why did you review this? Did Sapphire just send it to you, or were you expecting something different in the performance?

That's actually a perfectly good question and one I asked myself again and again. I had the decision whether to review this or not and I ended up coming to the conclusion that just because something is low-end, it doesn't mean I can turn a blind eye to it. Whether we all like it or not, there is a market for this type of card and people will want to see reviews of it.

And to be honest, I only learned about the frankly ridiculous price coupled with sub-par performance pretty late in the game.
Old February 4, 2010, 07:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Fair enough, it was a good read anyway. Thanks!
Old February 4, 2010, 07:51 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I think the low-end and mid-range card reviews are as interesting as the high-end stuff. When I suggest upgrades, it is primarily in the low and mid ranges, so more of these reviews is appreciated. I do think for most folks, the 220 is a better fit, but this card might do well in a properly-ventilated HTPC.

I did jump straight to the Farmville bench to for a look haha.
Fold for team #54196