Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 06:52 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Farmville? Really?

I have news for you ..... try to play Farmville and Farmtown on an onboard Intel GPU for fun... you will have a hell of surprise

Before sell a PC with an onboard GPU motherboard to some one that told me ..we just go on internet .. I ask them..do you play Face Book games ?

Good Idea Sly to have include the FarmVille bench We all know that Farmtown an Farmville is a way mre popular than Crysis
Old February 4, 2010, 07:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the one thing i haven't seen any reviewers do

is hook up multiple monitors to the cards
running at various resolutions and refresh rates
and see how that visually performs or if there are issues or not

for example someone using this card
may use it as a home threater
and have a small LCD computer monitor hooked up to it
and running a HDMI to a large tv upstairs, or their office
is next to the living room , etc

i can tell you right now i have friends of mine asking about this
and how it works and if it works well or not. of which i can not
honestly give them an answer cause...it seems no one is going
to do that type of review. which is odd, since to my way of thinking
this is exactly what ATI wanted ppl to do. use it for gaming and
a home theatre experience

especially for the higher end cards
they use 2 monitors already and are looking at a 3rd with these cards
but are worried about refresh rates and such
Old February 4, 2010, 07:10 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh_ultima View Post
the one thing i haven't seen any reviewers do.........
very interesting.. on my 860 WS I use 2 GPU for the same concern , I drive my 24" with a 4890 and the my 22" . with a 4650 as my Dell 24" have better refresh rate , than my $ 179 Acer
Old February 4, 2010, 07:23 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

If you are taling about mixing an HDTV and an LCD, I believe that would be a bit hard to do with this card simply because it lacks the outputs. If you use the DVI on the card for an LCD, you wouldn't be able to use a DVI to HDMI adaptor even if you had one...

However, if there are enough people wanting to see this done, I can put aside some time to test it on my HDTV + 19" LCD with a HD 5750.
Old February 4, 2010, 07:32 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
..However, if there are enough people wanting to see this done, I can put aside some time to test it on my HDTV + 19" LCD with a HD 5750.
I'm very much interested . I'm ban from the HDTV at home ( kid, wife ) how can I make a test.
Old February 4, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
I still think it's sad that ATI feels the need to have a different card for every 25$ increment between 75 and 300$.

I know it's all about getting your product out there on the market but damn... So many cards to choose from that you dont know what performs better then what anymore.
I have to disagree. $25 increments in the low end is a very large amount. You could loose a sale over it. And as far as what cards are better it is very easy as long as you stay with one generation of card (5xxx or 4xxx). The higher the number the faster the card (exception being 4770 and 4830).

As for the card under review, I think it is exactly what it was intended to be and exactly what the conclusion makes of it. A cheap direct 11 card that has the current feature set and does what non-gamers need it to do, while being better then integrated graphics. Nice review (though I am sure there is not much interest in this card around this forum). The price seems high, but it is new and I am sure the price will fall once initial sales have happened.

Last edited by Bond007; February 4, 2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old February 4, 2010, 09:13 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yup. I figured I may as well try Flash 10.1 acceleration on something 79 million+ people care about. ;)

One thing's for sure. I wasn't going to make an ass out of the review and test Crysis while bitching about how a $60 GPU couldn't play it...
Yea, good call. Kinda sad to see something like this:

What's the point, really?
Old February 4, 2010, 09:46 AM
MVP
F@H

I'm sure we all did a double-take when we saw Farmville in the review, but yes, it was a great idea considering the user-base size. These mid-to-low end hardware reviews are (in my eyes) very welcome. I'm sure all system builders welcome this kind of info to help sucktomers. I don't have actual figures, but I'd guesstimate that more than half of my builds fall into the "El Cheapo" category (offices/schools/light surfers/facebookers).

Oh, and excellent review!
Old February 4, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Love the farmville feature it was amusing and still had practical application to show the ability of the card to offload CPU usage!

Thumbs Up
Old February 4, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I actually really liked this review. For one, it's something new, and two, all my lady friends play Farmville, and they're always complaining how sluggish it is on their $400-500 laptop. Flash is so much different than it was before, and a T4200 processor just won't cut it anymore. Flash games are becoming more advanced by the day, compared to a couple years ago, and now we finally have a need to spend that extra cash just to play these things (thank goodness. I couldn't stand allowing people to buy the shittiest, lowest performing laptop out there all the time).

It was nice to see a different side of things. ATI has always been the best for high definition media playing, and this is no exception. Too bad on the price, but hey, it's passive, so no noise.