Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 10:46 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Default Have 4890 upgrade to 5850 or xfire?

I currently have a single 4890. I can't seem to find any deals on 4890's anymore. they all show up over $200 + shipping. And BST and Ebay people are selling them for $150+ for used.

So my Question is, do I buy a used 4890 for $150ish + shipping, (if at all possible) (i wish i was in the country for boxing day and got the new ones for $150 lol) but anyways...
OR
Do i sell my 4890 for around $150 and buy a new 5850 for $300. Essentially working out to a similar "cost".

I have the capabilities in my pc to do crossfire etc etc.
I'm running a stock 920 (i can OC in future) Asus p6t deluxe v2, 6gb ddr3 of 1800mhz ram (ocz reaper) and i have a 1000W psu

What do you guys suggest?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 10:57 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

What resolution do you game at? Do you plan on playing any of the games currently known to have DX11 support (AvP, DIRT2, STALKER: CoP, etc.)?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 10:57 AM
Dr_BenD_over's Avatar
Fallen Folder
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,418

My System Specs

Default

I'd go with the 5850 just to avoid the "fun" of Crossfire
__________________
All's well that's Haswell
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 11:05 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
What resolution do you game at? Do you plan on playing any of the games currently known to have DX11 support (AvP, DIRT2, STALKER: CoP, etc.)?
I game at 1920x1200
I mostly play FPS games. Currently: L4D2, TF2, COD MW2. so no dx11 games yet... i plan to get Mass Effect 2.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 11:06 AM
CraigRT's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London, ON
Posts: 55
Default

The 4890 is a great card.. You just have to ask yourself if it's good enough for what you're doing or not..
I am in the midst of trying to locate one to upgrade to from my 4850 (which does most of what I need it to) The 5850 would be overkill for me..

Also, I don't think you could possibly draw more power than 2 4890's, so there's that to consider too. (5850 is a bit faster and draws less juice)
__________________
i7 860 + Hyper 212
P55A-UD4P F14
8GB Mushkin Silverline
Powercolor 5870
Velociraptor 150
Seagate LP 2TB
Corsair AX750
Silverstone FT01B-W (HWC review case)

HEATWARE 45-0-0

My Cannondale <3
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 11:11 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
I'd go with the 5850 just to avoid the "fun" of Crossfire
Yea.. i read somewhere that to get full benefits you also have to overclock the processor. I can overclock mine with software pretty easily to 3.0GHz with stock fan and my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRT View Post
The 4890 is a great card.. You just have to ask yourself if it's good enough for what you're doing or not..
I am in the midst of trying to locate one to upgrade to from my 4850 (which does most of what I need it to) The 5850 would be overkill for me..

Also, I don't think you could possibly draw more power than 2 4890's, so there's that to consider too. (5850 is a bit faster and draws less juice)
How easy is it to sell a 4890 nowadays?
Power isn't an issue, i have a large PSU, and it would affect power bill only slightly compared to the fridge or oven.. lol.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 11:14 AM
MarkOne's Avatar
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chertsey 60 KM north of Montreal
Posts: 4,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
What resolution do you game at? Do you plan on playing any of the games currently known to have DX11 support (AvP, DIRT2, STALKER: CoP, etc.)?
of course he have to play CoP ...even if it's not the best STALKER
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 11:15 AM
CraigRT's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London, ON
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxbunny View Post
Yea.. i read somewhere that to get full benefits you also have to overclock the processor. I can overclock mine with software pretty easily to 3.0GHz with stock fan and my case.



How easy is it to sell a 4890 nowadays?
Power isn't an issue, i have a large PSU, and it would affect power bill only slightly compared to the fridge or oven.. lol.
I think it would be pretty easy to sell a 4890.. I'd be interested. I've more or less decided on getting a 5850 because finding a 4890 is next to impossible.

And what I more meant with regards to power was PSU related, not overall hydro bill :) heheh
__________________
i7 860 + Hyper 212
P55A-UD4P F14
8GB Mushkin Silverline
Powercolor 5870
Velociraptor 150
Seagate LP 2TB
Corsair AX750
Silverstone FT01B-W (HWC review case)

HEATWARE 45-0-0

My Cannondale <3
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 11:19 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRT View Post
I think it would be pretty easy to sell a 4890.. I'd be interested. I've more or less decided on getting a 5850 because finding a 4890 is next to impossible.

And what I more meant with regards to power was PSU related, not overall hydro bill :) heheh
haha k. Yea my 1000W psu should be enough for anything i'm only using around 300W max right now.
I'll keep in touch if i do end up buying a 5850 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
of course he have to play CoP ...even if it's not the best STALKER
I tried CoP, i didn't like it that much.. but only played like 30 min haha :p
__________________
i7 920
Asus p6t Deluxe v2
ATI Radeon 4890
6 GB DDR3 OCZ Reaper (1800mhz)
Silverstone Raven RV01
Silverstone 1kW PSU
Samsung T240
1920x1200
Saitek Eclipse II
Logitech G500
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 11:32 AM
MarkOne's Avatar
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chertsey 60 KM north of Montreal
Posts: 4,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxbunny View Post
haha k. Yea my 1000W psu should be enough for anything i'm only using around 300W max right now.
I'll keep in touch if i do end up buying a 5850 :D


I tried CoP, i didn't like it that much.. but only played like 30 min haha :p
ya the first part is the worst one

you better get a single card than try xfire. wait few more week ..if you can .. with the new Nvidia, you can have a better option or a better price on the ATI, a 5870 can eventually drop enough to worth the waiting.

It's why I do not purchase anything yet to replace my 4890...and I try it in Xfire and sold the other one because it was not worth
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
4890 , 5750 , ati , radeon , upgrade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8800gt to 5850 or keep 8800gt and upgrade to i5 from e6600? dosmond New Builds 22 May 4, 2010 02:34 AM
[WTT] 4890 XFire setup for GTX 285/295 Caldezar Buy/Sell & Trade 31 February 3, 2010 07:37 AM
Do people want xfire results between a 4870x2 and a 4890? sheepdogexpress Video Cards 35 November 27, 2009 04:36 PM
4890 Xfire Issues Frank Booth Video Cards 4 August 8, 2009 08:43 PM
Toxic HD 4890 or Vapor-X HD 4890 AmuseMe Video Cards 10 July 20, 2009 03:54 AM