Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2010, 06:07 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default GTX260 in SLI

Hi Guys, I have a few questions and a problem .

I am in no means an SLI expert, I know very little about it. But I do have two XFX GTX260 Cards in SLI. I have SLI enable in the nVidia control panel.

The two games (that I've tested so far) that I am having problems with are Counter Strike:Source and Battlefield Bad Company 2 (Beta).

In Counter Strike:Source:

Under SLI Performance Mode: I select Alternate Frame Rendering 1 or 2 (doesn't matter in this case atm) I get horrible FPS and my SLI bar (the overlay) doesn't light up green hardly at all.

Here are a couple pictures:

As you can see I have 24-25 FPS with the AFR 1 on.

Here is with "Nvidia recommend" (single gpu i'm pretty sure)

The FPS can range from 150-280 FPS on this setup.

On Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BETA) I just have a horrible FPS all over the board. It would be anywhere from 25-50 FPS. Over clocking my processor helped a little bit but I should be getting better FPS then that on this game. My brothers computer, which is fairly comparable... except he has an AMD quad core running at 3.2GHz (stock clock) with an 8800GT and his computer can get 80-150 fps in bad company 2.

I'm just wondering if I have to mess with certain settings to gain performance from SLI or if something could be wrong with my mobo? or what.... Any suggestions or anything would be helpful.

My Computer Specs:

Motherboard: EVGA 750i SLI FTW
CPU: Core2Quad Q6600 2.4GHz OverClocked to 3.0GHz
Video Cards: Two XFX GTX260 Black Editions in SLI
Ram: 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066

Thanks!
Old February 1, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What PSU?

As for SLI, some games that are not SLI Optimized will not reflect the 2nd Card in action. Setting up SLI is as simple as
attaching the SLI Bridge and enabling SLI in your NCP, really thats it.
What GeForce Driver are you using?
Have you tried a "clean install" of Drivers?

What kind of 3D Mark Scores or Vantage Scores are you geting? Your Rig really should be a game killer with that Quad CPU OC'd, that RAM and SLI 260's.

Jst looking back again at your Post, I can tell you that Counter Strike Source isn't a SLI Optimized game at all, actually you proved yourself that SLI is not required for great FPS, only 1 GPU is necessary.
In NCP, simply select "Use the Advanced 3D Image Settings" then in "Manage 3D Image Settings" ensure Ambient Occlusion is "off", shouldbe by default. You souldn't have to change any of thiese settings.

Good luck

Last edited by rjbarker; February 1, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old February 1, 2010, 07:07 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for clarifying about cs:s for me. SLI worked beautifully in 3DMark Vantage according to the SLI overlay. Battlefield Bad Company... I'm not sure, because it should enable SLI, but it doesn't seem like it is. Then again, it is still in Beta stages. I think I read somewhere I'm not the only one having that problem with the game either.

Not sure if it really matters anymore, but...
My PSU is an OCZ 850-Watt

and

Video Drivers: 196.21

3DMark Score: P19682 3DMarks
CPU Score: 34977
Graphics Score: 17178

ORB - World of Performance

I'm going to do some more research and see what is up with BF BC2. Again, thanks for your the information, it helps
Old February 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try the latest beta drivers to get better performance in bad company 2.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."