Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Help with 2900XT (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/2838-help-2900xt.html)

DSNB October 9, 2007 05:55 PM

Help with 2900XT

Doh, I been searching the internet for awhile and I found this site >:] and its Canadian too! :canadianwave:

Anyways, this is my first post and I hope I am not violating any rules...

Honestly, I am not that great with PC, but I want my PC to be a gaming PC... so I asked my sister to help me, but she isn't here with me at the moment. :doh:

So I am stuck with

Extreme Striker
500W Tt
2.66 GHZ E6700
P182
7950 GT OC
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB PC2-6400 800MHz

I been reading some stuff about 2900 XT 1 GB, and I bought me out... but will my mobo fit with it? Sorry I am not great tech but I am kinda afraid if my mobo won't do any good or pull off the protential that the video card have...

Sorry for the wall of text :whistle: but a lil :help:?

BALISTX October 9, 2007 06:15 PM

We will need to know a few things.

1. Do you intend to overclock?
2. Do you want to do Crossfire or SLI at a later date or stick with a single video card?
3. What is your budget?

The case you selected is a good case. The power supply I would recommend a Corsair VX550 Watt or a HX520 (Modular).
The processor You would be better to go to with the E6750, it's cheaper and a better overclocker.

3.0charlie October 9, 2007 06:16 PM

Welcome! And no, for a first post, you haven't broken any rules.

But I'm having a hard time understanding your question. The parts listed, that's your rig? And you wish to change the 7950GT for a 2900XT?

I don't think you're "stuck". The 7950GT is still a very good card; the 2900XT is a monster - and I don't think your PSU won't handle it. But your board will.

Which CPU cooler you have? The stock Intel or an aftermarket model? Because running that CPU stock will slightly bottleneck the 2900XT.

John

Babrbarossa October 9, 2007 06:22 PM

no apologies! Welcome to the site- So your motherboard is an Asus Striker Extreme??no problems with that graphics card. For someone who knows nothing about computers, you sure threw together a great machine- although I might just stick with the 7950 for a while- it's pretty good!

BALISTX October 9, 2007 06:25 PM

I should apologize I thought you are looking to build a new system. The parts you have are excellent parts. I would stick with the 7950GT.

b1lk1 October 9, 2007 06:55 PM

HD2900 XT 1GB is an amazing video card. You will never regret it.

DSNB October 10, 2007 03:54 AM

Quote:

Which CPU cooler you have? The stock Intel or an aftermarket model? Because running that CPU stock will slightly bottleneck the 2900XT.

John
I have something that says "scythe" when I open the chassis cover.

Quote:

no apologies! Welcome to the site- So your motherboard is an Asus Striker Extreme??no problems with that graphics card. For someone who knows nothing about computers, you sure threw together a great machine- although I might just stick with the 7950 for a while- it's pretty good!
Thanks!

Yeah, I think I will just stick with my old one... and get better PSU meanwhile to get ready for upgrade...

Thanks for the replies, I think I will just stick with 7950 until the price drops a little...

Babrbarossa October 10, 2007 06:33 AM

Scythe is a good cooler that should allow you to overclock quite well. Let us know if you're interested in squeezing some more out of that CPU- with that setup, it's be a shame not to.

DSNB October 10, 2007 05:03 PM

What is this Water Cooling?

I was reading some articles CoolIt MTec CPU coolers, but it seems they aren't complete silent.

Using water for cooling seems awsome, but is it really better than air cooling?

3.0charlie October 10, 2007 05:09 PM

You don't even know it yet, but you're hooked on water-cooling...!

Yes, it is definitely better than Air, and yes, it can be very silent. And here's how it looks like - it's a rig I have built for one of my customers:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/image...44d82aadc0.jpg

John