Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   4870x2 power requirements (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/27643-4870x2-power-requirements.html)

Jonwall January 11, 2010 09:08 AM

4870x2 power requirements

On the ati site it says that a 650w psu is recommended but does anyone know the actual requirements for amperage? Just bought one of here and im hoping my 600 ocz stealthxstream will at least run it for a little while til i can get a higher end psu. Obviously if it does run itll be stressing the crap out of the psu so it may not work very long, but i dont feel like buying a new psu right now since i just dropped most of my cash on the card.

Specs are everything in the machine at the moment are in my signature, and its the 140w 940.

Dr_BenD_over January 11, 2010 09:11 AM

I was peaking out at 524W with the Q6600 clocked up to 3.6GHz when I had one.

MarkOne January 11, 2010 09:24 AM

I think Dan have a tread on PSU power requirement, someplace here.... I will check latter, if no one answer

Jonwall January 11, 2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over (Post 315764)
I was peaking out at 524W with the Q6600 clocked up to 3.6GHz when I had one.

Well i just did a psu calc with all my hardware and it came to 515w which is almost exactly what you got lol, guess the calculator is accurate anyways. Thanks for the info, now i guess its all up to whether or not the rails have enough amps to drive everything and not the wattage

upcoast604 January 11, 2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonwall (Post 315772)
, now i guess its all up to whether or not the rails have enough amps to drive everything and not the wattage

With the 600w stealth, absolutely not.

Been there done that with a GXS 850w and what's in my sig, the rails on the 850w were a nightmare for a lowly gtx280. Boxing day I picked up the s12d850w with single rail and what a difference I'm getting enough power amps where I need it now.

Jonwall January 11, 2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upcoast604 (Post 315773)
With the 600w stealth, absolutely not.

ive found a thread or 2 on google of people who have a 600w stealth running a 4870x2, remember this isnt a permanent setup, just temporary til i can get a better psu, probably a month or 2 tops

upcoast604 January 11, 2010 10:06 AM

Being that your an adventurist, if u have a spare psu around the house (like an old 350-400w sparkle or like that) you could run the hdds, dvd and fans off it and free up some amps. Basically you stick a paper clip in the 24pin plug(do a search to know which pins to bridge exactly) tape it up and use the switch at the back to power on/off, obviously power on before starting the stealth which powers the mobo,cpu and vid card.

I've had to do this when I've run short of amps with 500w blue. Do it at your own risk though. Good luck either way.

Jonwall January 11, 2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upcoast604 (Post 315788)
Being that your an adventurist, if u have a spare psu around the house (like an old 350-400w sparkle or like that) you could run the hdds, dvd and fans off it and free up some amps. Basically you stick a paper clip in the 24pin plug(do a search to know which pins to bridge exactly) tape it up and use the switch at the back to power on/off, obviously power on before starting the stealth which powers the mobo,cpu and vid card.

I've had to do this when I've run short of amps with 500w blue. Do it at your own risk though. Good luck either way.

Seems like a lot of work lol, and i dont have an extra psu. I have however gotten a pro account on one of the psu calcs and it says in total i need 35.3 amps on the 12v rails. Now pcie1 connector is on its own rail, so that part should be fine. The motherboard and all peripherals are also on their own rail, meaning they shouldnt be an issue. CPU1 again is on its own rail, its only the second cpu connector and the second pcie connector sharing a rail thats 18a. My phenom II runs just fine using only the first 4 pin connection, so theoretically if a disconnect the second one, which is on there just because it was there so i plugged it in thinking itm ight help in power during overclocking, ill have 18a going to each connector on the 4870x2 and should be fine right?

MarkOne January 11, 2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upcoast604 (Post 315788)
....you stick a paper clip in the 24pin plug.....tape it up ..

Can someone find me a good translation or equivalent to : " ca fait broche a foin" :rofl:

upcoast604 January 11, 2010 10:27 AM

Palit Radeon 4870 X2 CrossFire Video Card Review - Power Consumption and Final Thoughts - Legit Reviews

321w for a 4870x2.

I had a 600w stealth rma'd it and ocz sent the GXS 850w as a replacement. Theoretically it'll work but I wouldn't do it with the stealth.

You should fire off a pm to Skymtl and see what he has to suggest.