Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2010, 01:52 PM
Rookie

Default future of nvidia?

well i didnt know where to ask this but here it is.
since the future of graphic cards are igp, what will happen to nvidia?
since amd and ati are together and intel has there own igp on the new processors where will nvidia go?
will nvidia work with intel or will intel just work alone and make their own products?
Old January 4, 2010, 02:03 PM
Rookie

where did you hear that the future of graphic cards will be igp?
I somehow doubt that will happen, but if it does, Nvidia will probably either stay alone, but branch out a bit more(well, they all ready make their own mobo's but.. smeth) but if they can't keep themselves afloat they will likely get sold off to intell since they have wayy more experience with graphics then intell it would seam like a likely senario.

but again, where did you hear that igp is the future? true it has some advantages, but I don't want to upgrade my motherboard to get better graphics... :S
Old January 4, 2010, 02:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

IGP is hardly the future for anything except corporate graphics which need to run Powerpoint.

If you just look at the power requirements and heat, one can quickly conclude that a high-end IGP is near impossible to achieve reasonably.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old January 4, 2010, 02:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nvidia's customer base is expanding, as they are developing products for much more then gaming (cuda). In some sectors, jobs that were traditionally handled by cpus are now done on the gpu, at greatly increased speeds. Special effects for movies, medical imaging as well as others that have nothing to do with images have seen large jumps in computing power. Id say Nvidia's future is secure, their not going anywhere soon. As for fermi, there has been delay after delay, but im looking forward to seeing whats it capable of when its finally released.
Old January 4, 2010, 02:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The future of NVIDIA will be interesting. People may be talking smack about them now, but they have a strong presence in several sectors that will see massive growth over the next few years:

Mobile / Automotive: Tegra / Tegra 2
SFF and High Efficiency Laptops: ION / ION 2
HPC: Fermi

Personally, I think the future of the PC in general will lead to an integration of the first two sectors so NVIDIA is very well positioned.
Old January 4, 2010, 02:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i agree... the future is not in IGP.... screw that.. lmao.. and even if it is in IGP there are integrated graphics and even if they don't do graphics they do chipsets... i have an old gateway with Nvidia chipset... not to mention my new macbook pro has dual Nvidia GPUs..