Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2009, 11:24 AM
Top Prospect

Default Asus 5770 card

Hi everyone,

I recently just bought the Radeon 5770 card. I had a Geforce 7600 GT so this was a big upgrade for me. I have an AMD 6000+ cpu with 4 gb ram.

Just a few questions. I can play Crysis on very high details at 1680x1050 and it seems smooth enough for me. Before, I could hardly play the game at 800x600 on low. That's how much difference the card has made.

However a few things are bugging me. Mass Effect is a game that should be silky smooth and it's not. I'm playing the game at maximum detail at 1680x1050 with 4x anti aliasing (entered in Catalyst) and the results range from relatively smooth to jerky to really slow. Especially when dynamic shadows are toggled. With it off, it plays better but it's not really fast.

Looking at benchmark results all over the net, the 5770 seems to have no problem playing the game at 1920x1200 at 8x anti aliasing (!). No problems meaning over 35-40 FPS. I'm probably getting 20-25 frames at 4x.

I just want to know what other people are experiencing with this card. Are you also unable to play Mass Effect at 8x anti-aliasing on maximum settings without getting big slow downs, jerkiness...etc ?

So far I'm happy with the performance, especially in Crysis, Dead Space etc. Another game which seems to be having big problems with is Fallout 3. Maximum details with 4x anti-aliasing at it's 20 FPS max, I'm guessing and much slower and I'm not talking about the outdoor areas ! I'm talking about the beginning of the game, in the Vault.

With 8x anti-aliasing it's really slow. Again, this card should be giving 40-50 FPS at these settings. So what am I doing wrong ?

Regards,
Old December 22, 2009, 11:35 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

CPU bottleneck is a possibility. Unfortunately most review sites stupidly think that everyone is running a quad-core 4Ghz CPU or more, but the truth is far from that. The AA you've pushed onto most games is what's lowering your FPS I'd say, try checking again with AA turned down to 2x or off and see how much improvement you get.
Old December 22, 2009, 11:41 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
CPU bottleneck is a possibility. Unfortunately most review sites stupidly think that everyone is running a quad-core 4Ghz CPU or more, but the truth is far from that.
No, we do that to eliminate CPU bottleneck from the equation. Not because we think everyone is running a high-end system.
Old December 22, 2009, 11:46 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
No, we do that to eliminate CPU bottleneck from the equation. Not because we think everyone is running a high-end system.
So... you're agreeing with me then? A CPU bottleneck is most likely cause of bad performance @ that resolution when using AA.
Old December 22, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is Mass Effect one of those games that has no built in AA(I haven't played it in while)? If so, forcing AA in the CCC can cause issues.
Old December 22, 2009, 01:19 PM
Top Prospect

Mass Effect has no AA that I'm aware of. I have to force it in the Catalyst menu. Is my CPU really a bottleneck for the 5770 ? I assumed it might be a limiting factor for the higher-end cards but not my card. How much difference would a better CPU make ?

Regards,
Old December 22, 2009, 01:24 PM
Top Prospect

I mean, I was checking out the Guru review of the 5770 and Fallout 3 at 1920x resolution with 8x AA scored 50 FPS ! I'm in the Vault still which is no where near as taxing as the big open areas and I'm getting really jerky performance at 1680x with 8x AA. Even 4x AA gives me problems. I have no idea why. I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit...

Regards,
Old December 22, 2009, 01:27 PM
MVP

Well what's your CPU? The 5770 isn't ultra-high-end, but it's certainly got a kick to it, so a CPU bottleneck is entirely possible.

There's a test you can perform to determine if the CPU is bottlenecking. Just OC your CPU as high as you're comfortable going, then benchmark the game before and after. If frames increase significantly (more than just a few FPS) the CPU is almost certainly bottlenecking the game. If you're not good with OCing and don't have time to learn, lower the resolution to as low as you can (1024x768 or lower) and re-benchmark the game. If it's the CPU there shouldn't be a ton of gain, but if there is the GPU is the bottleneck.

Hope this helps.
Old December 22, 2009, 01:33 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Once again, please note the Mobo/CPU used by your Own example (Guru3d) for their testing purposes:
"Mainboard
ASUS X58 ROG edition Rampage II Extreme

Processor
Core i7 965 @ 3750 MHz (3.6 + Turbo mode)."

8 threads @ 3.7Ghz is leaps and bounds about your dual-core (and old, i might add) 3.0-3.1Ghz.

CPU bottleneck.

Old December 22, 2009, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

The CPU I'm using is the AMD 64 x2 6000. I wouldn't imagine my CPU would be a major limiting factor for this card. Perhaps with a Radeon 5870 or better but not with a mid-range card. The thing I don't understand is that the benchmark results on several other sites suggests that this card should have no trouble handling the game engine at the highest resolutions and with AA. So when I experience slow downs and jerkiness at lower resolutions then I have to wonder what the problem is. Could it be the problem is my OS ? I'm using 64bit....would that have an adverse impact on my performance ?

About the CPU bottleneck, I'm not comfortable with over clocking things since I have no experience doing it. Would hate for something to go wrong.

Regards,