Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 25, 2009, 11:50 AM
Top Prospect

The same thing happens with Fall Out 3. If I change resolutions from 1680 to 1024, the difference in speed is not big. It's noticeable but it's not really significant. Does that mean my CPU is a limiting factor ? I recently just maxxed out the config file and things are looking amazing but it's halved my performance. :D Still, I would like to know if my X2 6000 CPU is really creating a major bottleneck somewhere. There should be no reason why Fall Out 3 can't be played at 1680x1050 at max settings with at least 4x AA.
Old December 25, 2009, 11:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sorry havent gotten my benchmarks up yet, busy with the xmas season. Crysis isnt in my benchmark list because I thought the game sucked lol.
Old December 25, 2009, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I play GRID on my computer (AMD 5200+) at 1680*1050 w/ a 9600GT and 2X AA no probs and everything is High or Ultra

-Plato
Old December 25, 2009, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect

Guys, can anyone answer my last question about the CPU bottleneck ? If I change from 1680 res to 1024 or 800x600 the performance isn't profound. Like the framerate hasn't increased by 20fps or anything. It's noticeable but not a huge improvement. Would the CPU be causing this ?

Regards,
Old December 27, 2009, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect

I sorted out the speed problem. Well, it's not 100% sorted but I've increased my FPS by at least 35% in Fall Out 3 and almost doubled my frame rates in ME. What I did was go to the Catalyst menu and I set my AA settings to 'box' instead of 'edge detect'. I couldn't believe how much faster the game was playing.

It looked exactly the same to me. Also, I set AA to adaptive multi-sampling instead of super sampling (which I had it set to before).

Mass Effect is easily running much faster than before. Simply changing from 'edge detect' to 'box' has almost doubled my frame rates. I am currently playing ME at 8x AA (AMAA) at 1680x1050 with max details and I'm easily getting 25+fps. Even with super sampling, it's a lot quicker than before, far more responsive. I can't believe that edge detect is such a resource issue.

What you guys have your AA settings at ? Do you use Adaptive Mult sampling, normal multisampling or super sampling ? Set it to 'box', 'narrow', 'edge detect' ?

Regards,
Old January 2, 2010, 12:58 AM
Top Prospect

I've been trying to benchmark Crysis but the GPU.bat gives very inconsistent results. I get 1fps less with 4x AA engaged, sometimes it doesn't even display AA in the test result. I downloaded Crysis benchmark tool (it says for Vista) and the program doesn't enable AA. I can enable AA in game so that's not a problem. After the benchmarks have completed, it shows the results, but no fps ! I ran 4 tests, all very high but each with dx9, dx10, one without AA, the other 4x AA.

The results page show me no actual fps results. So what program do you guys use to benchmark Crysis ?
Old January 4, 2010, 07:47 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Please keep me updated if you notice improvements by changing things.
I tried the hotfix drivers with the same slow results and frankly things just didn't even look right. I've found some more things to play around with tonight to try and boost performance.