Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2009, 08:35 AM
MVP

Default Best card for gaming at 1650 by 1080

Having given up on my insanely expensive quest for eyefinity (and the 5850 is mythical, kind of like a unicorn) I am looking for some thoughts around what is the best card for gaming at 1650 by 1080 which is the resolution of my two 22inch lcd monitors. Secondly, is there a way to use both monitors for games - split screen style instead of the three way for eyefinity? I currently have an XFX 4870 with 512MB - seems quite adequate for my needs, but I am looking forward to getting a new GPU in the next month or two, just for the heck of it. I should also add that I am looking forward to playing AVP3 and Mass Effect 2, so that will be the primary purpose for the new card.
Old December 7, 2009, 08:40 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

5870 fs.... who? what? lol...

Maybe look for a 5770? Equal or higher power than a 4870 with newer features, smaller size, less heat.

For gaming across two screens? Short story: You can't. Long story: Games all use the "primary" monitor to display the game and turns the others off (in most cases, there are a few exceptions). The reason Eyefinity/TH2Go works for games is that they "trick" Windows into thinking its got one super-wide display. So when you enter into the game, that one huge display is still the primary, even if it is - in fact - three displays physically. Hope that clears that up.
Old December 7, 2009, 08:46 AM
MVP

OK thanks - by the way, I would buy that 5870 no problem, if I had a monitor that could use it. With the gear I have, it would be like shooting Quail with a bazooka.
Old December 7, 2009, 08:51 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadzilla View Post
OK thanks - by the way, I would buy that 5870 no problem, if I had a monitor that could use it. With the gear I have, it would be like shooting Quail with a bazooka.
But then you don't have to chew it! GL finding a new card then.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:41 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

There is absolutely no point in getting something more powerful than a 4870 for that resolution. You should be able to max out just about everything as it is.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:44 AM
MVP

That's what I think too. So I might just wait a bit and see if the 5770 drops down to maybe $150 or so after xmas. I think that DX 11 might be kinda good in Mass Effect 2. Plus sometimes I just want to tinker.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:52 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The 5770 would not be a worthwhile upgrade over a 4870 no matter what. If you want to go with a DX11 card, get a 5850 at least.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post

For gaming across two screens? Short story: You can't. Long story: Games all use the "primary" monitor to display the game and turns the others off (in most cases, there are a few exceptions). The reason Eyefinity/TH2Go works for games is that they "trick" Windows into thinking its got one super-wide display. So when you enter into the game, that one huge display is still the primary, even if it is - in fact - three displays physically. Hope that clears that up.
Hm, I know I have split my game between 2 monitors and I think I did it just using the Nvidia control panel. I am not 100% sure that's how I did it but I think it is. It was some months ago, when I got my GTX275. But I found with only 2 monitors the experience kinda sucked. You get the frame right down the middle of your FOV so lining people up in the cross hairs etc... was kind of a pain.

Is there no way to do this with the ATI control panel? No idea as I haven't owned ATI in many, many years.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 7, 2009, 12:20 PM
MVP

Dunno - I never actually tried it. To Zero82z - ah yes, the mythic 5850. There is a rumour that once upon a time, these were actually in stock. However, that has yet to be confirmed. :)
Old December 7, 2009, 12:30 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

By the time Mass Effect 2 is released, hopefully they'll be easier to find.