Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
Rookie

Default I wanna go SLI, should I go all in now?

Sup hommies, new here, so I don't know how you guys greet eachother on this forum, went for the universal greeting.

Anyways, enough chit-chat, I'm building my PC for the first time, I got these things:

AMD X2 Athlon 64 +6000
Crosshair Mobo
500 GB HDD
4GB Patriot RAM
1000W Ultra power supply (hey, might as well, wanna water-cool some day)
Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Here's the thing, I wanna buy a 8800 GTX now, and then once I get enough money some day, I'll buy the other one. But I found this sweet deal on this one:
Bfg Geforce 8800GTX Oc 600MHZ 768MB 1.8GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I Hdtv Out Hdcp DIRECTX10 Video Card
Now this is an Overclocked version, if I wanna SLI in the future, do I have to buy the EXACT SAME CARD, or can I just buy a 8800GTX that isn't OC and SLI that. What if I can't find the exact same one later in 2 months? Did I screw up my SLI opportunity?

I'm no pro in all of this, I've actually just recently discovered that mobo is the cool way to say it on the web, that's how new I am, I used it and I'm happy .

Thanks boyz and galz for any feedback!
Old September 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikpilon View Post
Sup hommies, new here, so I don't know how you guys greet eachother on this forum, went for the universal greeting.

Anyways, enough chit-chat, I'm building my PC for the first time, I got these things:

AMD X2 Athlon 64 +6000
Crosshair Mobo
500 GB HDD
4GB Patriot RAM
1000W Ultra power supply (hey, might as well, wanna water-cool some day)
Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Here's the thing, I wanna buy a 8800 GTX now, and then once I get enough money some day, I'll buy the other one. But I found this sweet deal on this one:
Bfg Geforce 8800GTX Oc 600MHZ 768MB 1.8GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I Hdtv Out Hdcp DIRECTX10 Video Card
Now this is an Overclocked version, if I wanna SLI in the future, do I have to buy the EXACT SAME CARD, or can I just buy a 8800GTX that isn't OC and SLI that. What if I can't find the exact same one later in 2 months? Did I screw up my SLI opportunity?

I'm no pro in all of this, I've actually just recently discovered that mobo is the cool way to say it on the web, that's how new I am, I used it and I'm happy .

Thanks boyz and galz for any feedback!
SLI really isn't worth it with cards like the Ultra out. SLI is handy for people who run their systems on large tvs or on 24" monitors are larger.

You can mix and match two cards like a ultra and a gtx but the gtx will be downclocked to gtx speeds but this is something hasn't been successful.
Old September 18, 2007, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default well

your psu is certainly big enough.
The DC deal on the BFG is a good one...got mine yesterday. Placed order wednesday night and flown across country to my door monday morning!

SLI really depends on your monitor. At 1680 future games should play very well on a 8800GTX.

If you wait a bit there will be more powerful single cards than the ultra soon too although a quadcore will probably be the only thing thats not a bottleneck here.

Remember your AMD cpu is about the same as core2 at around 2.6 if you look at toms hardware charts.

Also for raw power 2900XT's in crossfire is the way to go for SLI. With the new phenom chip they are rumored to have broken 30000 3dmarks (06). Without the phenom they will go into 16000 comfortably. Only someone with a very large high resolution display would need this, unless you just want bragging rights.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 18, 2007, 01:57 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah you can use an 8800gtx oc with a regular 8800gtx, it will just run at the slower speed of the two. Then you oc em both. ;)
Old September 19, 2007, 11:39 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies, helped a lot, sucks the fastest card will only go as fast as the slower one... never thought about that option.

I should've went into a bit more detail, I never said why I wanted it .

Someday I want to buy an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray burner/reader and I'm HDing my whole computer now instead of later, that's why I got the HD capable screen, and want an HD capable card, and going 64bit on Vista.

I heard that the nexgen card was just a rumor when they said it was going to be 4 times better than the GTX, I heard it was only going to be an update. Don't wanna wait for an update, 4th quarter I think it's coming out... I want it now lol. Ultra is only 20% better than gtx and close to 300$ more... not worth it.

My plan is either to wait till the Ultra gets around the same price as the GTX is now (in like, 500 years) or buy a one GTX for now.

Awesome on the replies!
Old September 19, 2007, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default the bfgoc

is a fantastic card at a really good price. you cant go wrong there really...but if i were in your shoes ie wanting SLI in the future i would consider a pair of 1gb 2900XT's because they are devastating in crossfire.

The 1gb 2900Xt is also excellent value and you will not see much if any difference between a single GTX or single 1gb 2900XT-you could buy one now and another later.

Old September 22, 2007, 08:41 AM
Rookie

But can you go Crossfire on an SLI mobo?
Old September 22, 2007, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default woops

hey sorry there ERIC I misread the crosshair for crossifire! i dont know if you can or not? probably no on that board...makes it easier for you to choose! Perhaps nvidia will improve SLI performance anyway.

Old September 22, 2007, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No Crossfire on a SLI motherboard.

No SLI on a Crossfire motherboard.