Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2009, 09:26 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Sapphire HD 5750 Vapor-X Review Comment Thread

While ATI’s HD 5800-series have been in high demand and consequently extremely hard to find, HD 5770 and HD 5750 cards are widely available and represent great value for your money. In this review we take a look at Sapphire’s custom cooled and overclocked HD 5750 Vapor-X which promises to bring a long list of features to the table while offering increased performance to boot.

You can read the review here: Sapphire HD 5750 1GB Vapor-X Video Card Review

Please use this thread for your questions and comments.

Enjoy!!

Old November 24, 2009, 10:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

First in!

Nice review. I have to say that the card really looks quite fetching! Seems like the trend with the 5000 series Vapor-X cards has been to have a moddest performance increase while lessening the temps and the accoustic. From your review, it would seem that this card acheive 2 of the 3 goals (you said accoustics is not noticeably quieter.)

For me the big issue is this. The fact you get a Dirt2 voucher is a at least a bit of a justification for the price, however, looking at the relative performance of this card, unless you are Hell Bent on having DX11, I think one would be better off with a well priced DX10 card.

Cheers!
2_cents_Canuck :)
Old November 24, 2009, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Interesting little product, and the power consumption compared to the previous 4770 is honestly amazing.

Maybe I missed it, but does the card have fan control? With those kind of temperatures, this card has serious potential for the anal-retentive silence-seeker, even if it required a little help via CCC/Rivatuner/similar.
Old November 24, 2009, 11:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Interesting little product, and the power consumption compared to the previous 4770 is honestly amazing.

Maybe I missed it, but does the card have fan control? With those kind of temperatures, this card has serious potential for the anal-retentive silence-seeker, even if it required a little help via CCC/Rivatuner/similar.
Probably with ATI's Overdrive feature that comes with Catalyst. You can manually control fan speed from there, even if you don't overclock.
Old November 25, 2009, 01:19 AM
Top Prospect

Is there actually heat sink under that silly extended shroud?
If there isn't, seems really stupid to add an inch the card with no good reason.

Side note, 5700 series look great. 128-bit cards that perform like last generation's 256-bit cards. I'm upset i have a SLI board and sticking with Nvidia for practicality sake. Thermals look exceptionally good on this card.
HIS Radeon HD 7970 - ASUS VW266 25.5" 1920x1200 LCD
Silverstone TJ08B-E -
Corsair TX750V2
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Ducky Keyboard DK9008
Logitech G500
Razor Vespula

Old November 25, 2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
Is there actually heat sink under that silly extended shroud?
Nope!
Old November 25, 2009, 09:57 AM
Top Prospect

Great review!

Good point on the pricing. I've actually seen 5770's priced cheaper than this card.
Old November 25, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah very nice review.. I agree on the price point of view.. Although, pretty good performance, power consumption and temps.. Great little product..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old January 27, 2010, 06:17 AM
Rookie

" We have seen in the past that Sapphire can release a single-slot Vapor-X heatsink with some great results so it boggles the mind why they decided to go with a totally oversized heatsink for this relatively cool-running card. It just seems like needless overkill to us. Hopefully, future revisions will look at giving us a slimmed down heatsink design. "

The reason why they released a dual-slot card is that, unlike the HD 4000 series, these ones have dual-slot video output for the DVIs, HDMI and DP, stuf that couldn't fit on a single-slot bracket :). Even if they might've built a single-slot card, the output braket had to be replaced, but I doubt it could handle all those outputs. Beeing forced to build a dual-slot card, there was no reason to make a slim cooler since the space couldn't be used anyways.

Romanian. I'm sorry if my english may be bad :(
Gigabyte GeForce 8400 GS 256MB Silent @ Hybrid SLI Boost Mode - HOT card (litteraly)
Creative Audigy SB570 @ Running 4ch on CMSS - Present from a buddy of mine
6-7 years old Hitachi 80GB IDE Hard drive - :((((((((((((((
Asus DRW1814BLT DVD Writer - originaly white, painted black to match the case :))

F.cking Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with licence
Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit

Samsung SyncMaster 713n 17" @ VGA
Logitech Z-2300 - I LOVE THEM... No need for surround; there's enough sound to fill the house :)) ; found'em for 101 Euros :O
Planning on buying a Corsair Hydro H50 for my Athlon, since no one imports CoolIT in Romania :P:P:P
Attached Images

Last edited by catalinuxg; January 27, 2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:39 AM

I totally understand your meaning but as I said in other places in the article: it is possible to run Eyefinity without a massive backplate. Just use a single DVI along with outputs for HDMI and Displayport.