Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2009, 09:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Back to the card and the review...

Looking at the pics again and considering the vapour chamber, the back-plate and the length of that 5970, was there any concern about the weight of the card in the PCI-E slot? Is this a definite "use some screws" kind of card or will most toolless systems properly secure that beast?

Cheers!
Curious_About_the_Weight_Canuck :)

Oh yeah... (PS) I have a bunch of questions about my choices for an HDTV and Home Theatre in a Box. I know a lot of the members here are well versed in such matters. What section of the forum could I start such a thread in?
Old November 18, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

HTPC Systems & Software - Hardware Canucks
Old November 18, 2009, 10:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think the anger came across because the HD 5970 pretty much erased a lot of my confidence that ATI would turn things around. Don't get me wrong, they are leading the pack but they have really proven that they have very little loyalty to the consumers who have bought and are still waiting for their back ordered cards.
It's really hard to say this and come across as fair considering I found a 5850 two days after launch, so I never had to wait, but AMD is still bleeding aren't they? Or at least still heavy into debt? This isn't the greatest thing for the consumer right now, but I've been told that AMD needs to bring in as much money as it can. They already can and have produced these luxury cards and not selling them would be detrimental to their ROI from R&D maybe. I don't know...

[Edit]: To quote someone else's point of view that affects mine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith
So when we were briefed about the 5970, we asked AMD point-blank whether it was a good idea to be launching another Cypress based card so soon, and at a time when they already donít have enough chips to go around. Their answer was equally straightforward: why not?

The design is done and AMD is already capable of building the 5970. For AMD, there is no benefit in waiting; no matter what they do, anything with a Cypress chip in it today is going to sell out. Holding back may be slightly more egalitarian, but as the 5970 is a luxury part, itís not a high-volume part anyhow, so its introduction isnít going to significantly disrupt 5800 shipments even if it does use 2 GPUs per card. Ultimately I donít think we would even be having this discussion unless the profit margin on the 5970 is higher than the 5870, so at some point this comes down to AMD doing what is most profitable for them.

At $600, AMD isnít going to sell a ton of 5970s, and the launch numbers reflect this. While the 5800 series cards launched with tens-of-thousands of cards, the 5970 launch will simply be with thousands of cards. Even as a low-volume part, weíre expecting the 5970 to sell out just as fast as any 5800 card did. But depending on what AMD does with future chip shipments though and what TSMCís yields do, this may be the first product line where demand finally gets met in the near future. -source-
It's really up to the individual to argue the part I highlighted. Ultimately, there would be more 5850 cards if there were not 5970s and the market could be quite happy with just the 58xx series, I won't argue that.

Last edited by Ritz; November 18, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old November 18, 2009, 11:27 PM
Allstar

newegg had a gigabyte for 629..
Old November 19, 2009, 12:00 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
It's really hard to say this and come across as fair considering I found a 5850 two days after launch, so I never had to wait,
The unavailability of Radeon 5800 series cards isn't a "from Sky's perspective" idea.

This is happening. Ask any retailer - they are experience backorders and shortfalls in the HUNDREDS.

ATI mismanaged this launch so bad in the fact that they can only deliver a fraction of orders. They were so heavily allocated that they couldn't even fill half of the demand on release day and it was weeks before those that ordered on launch day were able to get their cards.

And its not so much the physical realities of what the launch means; that out of a run of 1000 chips, maybe 10 will be 5970's, its the fact that ATI can't even get their ducks in the row almost two months after the first launch and are now releasing the #1 video card in the world - to what I am sure is going to be a sellout crowd - and yet they still can't fill orders of the first bit.

At least have the balls to paper launch it with only review samples and show dedication to your customer base by focusing all your efforts on what has the most demand.
Old November 19, 2009, 04:29 AM
Top Prospect

Great review.

I want to buy that card, but it's impossible to find anywhere. :( I try checking once every hour between 2 patients, and its unavailable everywhere. :(

I was also trying to buy 2 5870 at once, but it,s also impossible to buy.

Sigh...
Old November 19, 2009, 06:16 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

If I wanted a second 5850, I could have one in 2 hours - granted it would cost more than the first one did. A 5870, I don't think I've seen one of those in stock since a couple of days after the release.

Spoke too soon, just spotted one in stock.
Old November 19, 2009, 09:14 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
IMO - ATI really pulled a boneheaded move on this one exactly as Sky pointed out.

You already have backorders hundreds of person's deep at many retailers with just a smattering of a dozen cards coming in each week - Yet for some reason, the world NEEDS this card right now? I would have understood it better if they wanted to launch it now as a PURE paper launch, and explain that to consumers. Rather than trying to juggle three (basically 4 with dual GPU) cards all at once and be unable to fill demand for any of them!

Completely botched released of the WHOLE product line IMO
The release of this 5970 COULD reduce the # of orders on people looking to CF 5870's therefore reducing the heat that's on ATI right now given they have 5970 stock. It COULD be a good thing in a sense...but I'm being optimistic here because it would probably represent a fraction of the people looking for 5800 series cards.
Intel Core i7 970 @ 4GHz
Corsair HX750
Corsair H70 + 2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM
G.Skill 6GB DDR3 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ RAM 9-9-9-24
EVGA GeForce GTX 570
120GB OCZ Vertex 2
640GB Western Digital Black
Logitech Z-4 2.1 Speakers
Steelseries 6GV2 + Razer Mamba
BenQ 24" E2420HD LCD
Old November 19, 2009, 11:10 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
[Edit]: To quote someone else's point of view that affects mine:

It's really up to the individual to argue the part I highlighted. Ultimately, there would be more 5850 cards if there were not 5970s and the market could be quite happy with just the 58xx series, I won't argue that.
While I usually agree with what Ryan has to say, in this case I will say that he is dead wrong unfortunately. I am sure Anandtech has an armload more contacts than we do when it comes to AIBs and resellers but it seems they didn't use them in this case. They repeated what they were told by ATI.

I was literally on the phone for hours talking to contacts at AIBs, distributors and some of Canada's largest retailers and the response was universal: supplies of HD 5800-series cards CAN and WILL be negatively affected by the HD 5970. Even if ATI requires 5000 of these cards (an amazingly small number for a launch) to be produced, that is still 10,000 chips that could have gone into 5800-series cards. 10,000 would eliminate nearly all of the North American backorders (some have quoted backorders to be ~12,000 in NA / SA) A proper launch according to everyone I talked to is one in which inventory is built up BEFORE launch. ATI didn't do this with ANY of their HD5800-series or HD 5970.

Let me tell you, AIBs (who will go unmentioned right now) have called ATI's insistence to launch the HD 5970 come hell or high water much worse things than "bone headed".

This talk of profitability is BS as well. How is a company or even retailers supposed to turn a profit when there is nothing to be sold? As it stands, ATI was already stretched far too thin with their allocations and now they are just introducing another card that uses double the number of cores. That isn't a recipe for profitability, it's a lesson in furstration and alienating the reseller network.
Old November 19, 2009, 11:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
While I usually agree with what Ryan has to say, in this case I will say that he is dead wrong unfortunately. I am sure Anandtech has an armload more contacts than we do when it comes to AIBs and resellers but it seems they didn't use them in this case. They repeated what they were told by ATI.

I was literally on the phone for hours talking to contacts at AIBs, distributors and some of Canada's largest retailers and the response was universal: supplies of HD 5800-series cards CAN and WILL be negatively affected by the HD 5970. Even if ATI requires 5000 of these cards (an amazingly small number for a launch) to be produced, that is still 10,000 chips that could have gone into 5800-series cards. 10,000 would eliminate nearly all of the North American backorders (some have quoted backorders to be ~12,000 in NA / SA) A proper launch according to everyone I talked to is one in which inventory is built up BEFORE launch. ATI didn't do this with ANY of their HD5800-series or HD 5970.

Let me tell you, AIBs (who will go unmentioned right now) have called ATI's insistence to launch the HD 5970 come hell or high water much worse things than "bone headed".

This talk of profitability is BS as well. How is a company or even retailers supposed to turn a profit when there is nothing to be sold? As it stands, ATI was already stretched far too thin with their allocations and now they are just introducing another card that uses double the number of cores. That isn't a recipe for profitability, it's a lesson in furstration and alienating the reseller network.
Points well made. Sigh. This is the first time I've been around for a launch like this. I am interested in seeing what NVIDIA manages, cause they use the same fab for their stuff, right?