Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
HWC Staff

What I'm wondering is, why is it named 5970 instead of 5950. It's more of a 5850X2 than a 5870X2.

They will run out of digits soon on the 5000 series, unless they gonna start using the last digit ;).
Old November 18, 2009, 11:07 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
All ATI GPUs are manufactured by TSMC. GlobalFoundries does not make GPUs.
Ha. Didn't know that, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer_2099 View Post
As for the actual content of the review, I agree with FiXT and SKYMTL on the backorder issue. But at the same time, I suppose the ATI folks would rather have press about the speed of the 5970 floating around the net (at least for a while) rather than articles about the lack of availability of the other cards.

My concern in looking at the results is that this card will not really encourage upgrades from the 5800 owners to 5900. What the results show is that the 5850s just became even harder to come by than they already were.

It's not hard to do the math really... 2x5850 = 600$ **has more performance than 1x5970 = 699$ (NCIX.com - Buy Powercolor Radeon HD 5970 725MHZ 2GB 4GHZ GDRR5 2XDVI Display Port PCI-E Video Card - AX5970 2GBD5-MD In Canada.) with nearly the same power draw and far less clearance issues.
As always, ill say this: If you have the money for ONE big and/or badass card. Get it. If 2x 5850s and 1x 5970 perform about the same and cost about the same, then get the single bigger/better card.
Why?
A) It saves space (obviously not talking about the length of the card, but rather the number of PCIe and other slots that will not be covered/used by using a single card).
B) it leaves you open to further upgrades IF you're crazy enough to get a second one down the road somewhere.
C) From my experience, these high-end cards retain their value for longer, in case you want to sell yours at some point down the road.

Just my $0.02
Old November 18, 2009, 12:39 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
What's the story behind the fail's on the DX10 25x16/0xAA Crysis results for the 5970's? Driver FUBAR? Spontaneous combustion? I can see a few other oddball multi-GPU results, but those two stand out.
The epic failure that are the ATI drivers is what's happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Cool review! Will there be overclocked results coming up? It seems like many sites state that the OC'd 5970 is pulling far ahead of the Crossfire 5850's.
I am unsure how to broach the subject of overclocking. Other sites like towing ATI's company line these days and showed overclocking but my experience is this: The the retail HD 5970 I have DOES NOT have the same amount of overclocking headroom as some sites are showing. I am struggling to attain stability in games above 820Mhz.

There may be an overclocking article going up in the future but I am still undecided since overclocks on these cards seem to vary a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer_2099 View Post
Great review. I am always impressed with the quality of the picutres you take. What kind of camera do you use?

As for the actual content of the review, I agree with FiXT and SKYMTL on the backorder issue. But at the same time, I suppose the ATI folks would rather have press about the speed of the 5970 floating around the net (at least for a while) rather than articles about the lack of availability of the other cards.
Camera = Canon S3IS (IMO one of the best P&S cameras ever made)

As for the other comment, I am of the opinion that ATI doesn't give a damn about their customers. They want the limelight now regardless of stock because they are crapping their pants over what Fermi COULD be. That is why you see low clock speeds but impressive overclocking potential with the HD 5970. They are hedging their bets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk View Post
What I'm wondering is, why is it named 5970 instead of 5950. It's more of a 5850X2 than a 5870X2.

They will run out of digits soon on the 5000 series, unless they gonna start using the last digit ;).
So they can now release a HD 5990 if they chose. At this point it looks like this:

57xx = mid end
58xx = high end
59xx = ultra high end

Makes sense to me.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:42 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
As for the other comment, I am of the opinion that ATI doesn't give a damn about their customers. They want the limelight now regardless of stock because they are crapping their pants over what Fermi COULD be. That is why you see low clock speeds but impressive overclocking potential with the HD 5970. They are hedging their bets.
Not biased at all Sky. Im sure I didn't hear anything anti-ATI at all in your article. Dum-dee-dumdum.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Not biased at all Sky. Im sure I didn't hear anything anti-ATI at all in your article. Dum-dee-dumdum.
Damn right I'm biased. Why shouldn't I be? Customers are getting slapped in the face by ATI's idiotic policies and no one seems to give two hoots. Right now ATI's plan is basically to spread out a few scant cores over too many cards while people wait weeks (and it WILL be months) for their cards. This is just to plan a flag and make their investors happy.

In the end, I am on the customer's side which is why I am fed up with this BS from ATI.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:00 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Unbiased review Fail? Awww.... Its true that they'll make customers wait to get what they want. But they get whatever they want, from the cheap great performer to the best graphics card on the market. More and more cards will come out, and then the prices will drop.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:

Camera = Canon S3IS (IMO one of the best P&S cameras ever made)
A P&S....hell I thought you were using a 5D mark II or something. Thats impressive.

Old November 18, 2009, 01:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Damn right I'm biased. Why shouldn't I be? Customers are getting slapped in the face by ATI's idiotic policies and no one seems to give two hoots. Right now ATI's plan is basically to spread out a few scant cores over too many cards while people wait weeks (and it WILL be months) for their cards. This is just to plan a flag and make their investors happy.

In the end, I am on the customer's side which is why I am fed up with this BS from ATI.
Yeah this will just further serve to keep supply of 5850s down to nearly nothing, and with Nvdia's newest card delayed untill March I don't expect to see the price of any of the 58xx or 59xx cards go down till Feburary.

The thing I would be worried about is if TSMC still hasn't worked out their yield issues by the time they are making Fernis which I am told are more complex than the 5800 cores, then we might be stuck with backorders and > $300 5850s.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Unbiased review Fail? Awww.... Its true that they'll make customers wait to get what they want. But they get whatever they want, from the cheap great performer to the best graphics card on the market. More and more cards will come out, and then the prices will drop.
The review was totally unbiased. I told it how it is. Every point I made was backed up by fact.

These comment thread allow me to vent and as such are biased.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to admit it. I skimmed through the review as this card doesn't interest me (way too expensive). However, GOOD JOB ATI! They basically dominated the GPU market with their 5XXX GPUs.

NVIDIA needs to get their act together and get FERMI out by Q1 2010, otherwise they will be in deep trouble.

For all the negative stuff that SKYMTL pointed out, such as bad drivers, paper launch, etc., well I can only say, get used to it. You're a reviewer so you should be used to it. It's not the first time when ATI and NVIDIA make a soft launch like this. And even if they do make a hard launch, there's plenty of times where their drivers are not good enough for the GPU.

Oh, and check AnandTech's review out. It may JUST explain why this is a soft launch and what not.

Quote:
As some of you may have noticed, in spite of the fact that this card is at least a pair of 5850s, it consumes less than the 320W (2x160W) such a setup would. In order to meet the 300W limit, AMD went and binned Cypress chips specifically for the 5970, in order to find chips that could operate at 725MHz at only 1.05v (the 5850 runs at 1.088v). Given the power creep coming from the 4800 series, binning for the best chips is the only way AMD could get a 300W card out.
I'll make another post in this thread once I read the whole review and its comments.