Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
40000MHz and 40040MHz
40Ghz Memory! Dayum!
Old November 18, 2009, 10:09 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Great review man, been waiting for this one. Personally I would go single 5970 over dual 5850 but it is also kinda sad we are back to $700 for 1 video card like 2005.
Old November 18, 2009, 10:17 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

IMO - ATI really pulled a boneheaded move on this one exactly as Sky pointed out.

You already have backorders hundreds of person's deep at many retailers with just a smattering of a dozen cards coming in each week - Yet for some reason, the world NEEDS this card right now? I would have understood it better if they wanted to launch it now as a PURE paper launch, and explain that to consumers. Rather than trying to juggle three (basically 4 with dual GPU) cards all at once and be unable to fill demand for any of them!

Completely botched released of the WHOLE product line IMO
Old November 18, 2009, 10:26 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
IMO - ATI really pulled a boneheaded move on this one exactly as Sky pointed out.

You already have backorders hundreds of person's deep at many retailers with just a smattering of a dozen cards coming in each week - Yet for some reason, the world NEEDS this card right now? I would have understood it better if they wanted to launch it now as a PURE paper launch, and explain that to consumers. Rather than trying to juggle three (basically 4 with dual GPU) cards all at once and be unable to fill demand for any of them!

Completely botched released of the WHOLE product line IMO
Hang on a tick... isn't it global foundries that's responsible for the actual production of the chips? Since they're technically not a part of AMD anymore, but their own company, its up to them to get the chips out the door (and hopefully have high yields of such) in order to meet the demand. I guess all the new 40nm parts coming out now is putting a severe strain on them.
Old November 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page 5
We are looking at a whole 5Mhz on the core
Small typo, looks like a 10Mhz oc on the core
Old November 18, 2009, 10:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Great review. I am always impressed with the quality of the picutres you take. What kind of camera do you use?

As for the actual content of the review, I agree with FiXT and SKYMTL on the backorder issue. But at the same time, I suppose the ATI folks would rather have press about the speed of the 5970 floating around the net (at least for a while) rather than articles about the lack of availability of the other cards.

My concern in looking at the results is that this card will not really encourage upgrades from the 5800 owners to 5900. What the results show is that the 5850s just became even harder to come by than they already were.

It's not hard to do the math really... 2x5850 = 600$ ­­has more performance than 1x5970 = 699$ (NCIX.com - Buy Powercolor Radeon HD 5970 725MHZ 2GB 4GHZ GDRR5 2XDVI Display Port PCI-E Video Card - AX5970 2GBD5-MD In Canada.) with nearly the same power draw and far less clearance issues.

DAMN!
Never_Find_a_2nd_5850_Now_Canuck :(

Last edited by Surfer_2099; November 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old November 18, 2009, 10:32 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Hang on a tick... isn't it global foundries that's responsible for the actual production of the chips? Since they're technically not a part of AMD anymore, but their own company, its up to them to get the chips out the door (and hopefully have high yields of such) in order to meet the demand. I guess all the new 40nm parts coming out now is putting a severe strain on them.
All ATI GPUs are manufactured by TSMC. GlobalFoundries does not make GPUs.
Old November 18, 2009, 11:01 AM
MVP

Its unfortunate this card is released with such a shortage of 5870, and 5850's but I understand why they did it. Its still an important title to have "the worlds fastest card" which the 5870 didn't quite do. Any chance of seeing some overclock results? it sounds like the voltage and frequency on the card is pulled back just to accomodate the 300 watt ATX spec.
Old November 18, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
All ATI GPUs are manufactured by TSMC. GlobalFoundries does not make GPUs.
^ This

I do remember hearing the GF was going to be making bulk ATI's 32nm parts, but TSMC is still handling 45/40nm

Also rumour has it that TSMC apparently isn't hurting any more in terms of production of 40nm parts now, than from before 5870 was released. Thefore, arguably the blame lies on ATI for complete mismanagement of a product launch and not wanting to stockpile before the actual launch date. They decide to just produce and sell shipment by shipment