Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2007, 05:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I guess that 1GB 2900XT is within 8800GTX territory now. Hard to say if the 512MB is though. Pretty close though.
Old September 9, 2007, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just ordered the HD 2900XT 1GB card from NCIX, I'll post some info after it gets here if anyone is interested.
Old September 9, 2007, 06:40 PM
Allstar

I would personally take the 8800 GTX over the HD 2900 XT for several reasons, mostly because it's better across a wider array of games. The HD 2900 XT has more potential, as others have said ... However, by the time developers actually take advantage of the HD 2900 XT's architecture (assuming they actually do), Nvidia (and ATI) will probably have significantly faster cards on the market and the HD 2900 XT will be nearing obsolescence.
Old September 9, 2007, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

All it takes is a few game developers to cater to the ATI card and it can be the top dog. Sadly, the main reason I chose the ATI card is that I cannot take the rampant Nvidia fanboyism (not by you Jmac or here on this forum and I mean this very seriously. This is one of the very few forum's I post on that has been very fair). The untapped potential and the pricetag of $499 was too much to pass up. I have always been a major ATI video card fan and have been waiting for improved drivers (which have come) and a nice sale price (which I got). I have a gut feeling that other than a refresh of their current cards with a die shrink, Nvidia doesn't have anything better to put on the table and we are seeing the fastest stuff they have. Nvidia's next release is already slated as a die shrink refresh. Either way, I cannot lose running a card like this as far as I am concerned.
Old September 9, 2007, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default price is right

yes that 1gb is a great price and given that AMD has been developing the phenom alongside it i think the future proofing could be very good. Especially.... when you consider its potential in crossfire!!!

Anyway about PSU'S for this..I found this review that claims the 600w gamexstream should handle this card.

The review does seem a bit optimistic as they ran two 8800GTXs and ocd an extreme cpu with endless hardrives and fans. Legion Hardware

Hopefully when i get the 2900XT it wont blow my system I wont be overclocking it till i do the spring update and it will just get the two 6pin pci express connections.

b1lk1 let us know how it handles on your system when you get it

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 9, 2007, 11:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

lol well I say screw em both and get the 8800GTS. Hardly any difference in benchmarks in comparison with the 2900 or GTX running Bioshoch on Vista DX10. Overclocks great less heat and costs a hella lot less
Old September 9, 2007, 11:56 PM
Rookie

LOL, the ATI cards get CRIPPLED as soon as AA is introduced, could this be due to the ATI drivers or all the extra crap they load in with them now. Every self respecting gamer already has steam, ati doesn't need to "sneak" it in. not to mention that thier drivers require dotnet 2.0. ohh what about the fact that the 2900's require a extra 100w of power and sound like a freaking jet?

Its ironic that that the ASUS card comes with STALKER and has a STALKER sticker on it but it cant even come close to keeping up with the 8800's on it, STALER even has a nVidia plug in its intro.

"After roughly 4 months and numerous driver releases we are now confident this is just the way things are. While the Radeon HD 2900XT can, and in most cases does, deliver excellent performance for a $400 US graphics card, it is still quite flaky in other areas. The GeForce 8800 GTS is more of a well rounded graphics card, delivering acceptable performance in all gaming titles. Then for another $100-$150 US the GeForce 8800 GTX is still an absolute beast, delivering amazing performance in newer games such as Bioshock and World in Conflict.

Clearly the biggest advantage the GeForce 8800 GTS has over the Radeon HD 2900XT is that for roughly the same performance, it uses much less power and is far less demanding on the system. It is almost possible to run SLI GeForce 8800 GTS graphics cards and consume about the same amount of power that you would running a single Radeon HD 2900XT. The GeForce 8800 GTS is also much cooler and quieter for the very same reason, making it a more practical option as well."
- LegionHardware.com

Last edited by born2expire; September 9, 2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old September 10, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default crysis demo-2900XT beats 8800GTX

I understand some of the arguments for previous 2900XT issues but the 1gb 2900XT is a solid competitor now with the GTX and its cheaper.

For example in the crysis demo below:
ATI HD2900XT, 8800GTX’a Karşı: Crysis Demo ve 3DMark06 Testleri

It seems like some of the AA issues are being resolved and they are making progress in DX10.

There are a lot of comparisons now that have the two cards about equal.

If current trends are anything to go by the 2900XT1GB will destroy any 8800GTS at Crysis. Future games will continue to be more and more demanding. It may use about 30watts extra than a GTX but thats not too much when its price is so good~$500.

I have no bias to either maker and have never owned an ATI card but it seems like Nvidea is overcharging and ATI has a solid product here.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 10, 2007, 04:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2expire View Post
LOL, the ATI cards get CRIPPLED as soon as AA is introduced, could this be due to the ATI drivers or all the extra crap they load in with them now. Every self respecting gamer already has steam, ati doesn't need to "sneak" it in. not to mention that thier drivers require dotnet 2.0. ohh what about the fact that the 2900's require a extra 100w of power and sound like a freaking jet?

Its ironic that that the ASUS card comes with STALKER and has a STALKER sticker on it but it cant even come close to keeping up with the 8800's on it, STALER even has a nVidia plug in its intro.

"After roughly 4 months and numerous driver releases we are now confident this is just the way things are. While the Radeon HD 2900XT can, and in most cases does, deliver excellent performance for a $400 US graphics card, it is still quite flaky in other areas. The GeForce 8800 GTS is more of a well rounded graphics card, delivering acceptable performance in all gaming titles. Then for another $100-$150 US the GeForce 8800 GTX is still an absolute beast, delivering amazing performance in newer games such as Bioshock and World in Conflict.

Clearly the biggest advantage the GeForce 8800 GTS has over the Radeon HD 2900XT is that for roughly the same performance, it uses much less power and is far less demanding on the system. It is almost possible to run SLI GeForce 8800 GTS graphics cards and consume about the same amount of power that you would running a single Radeon HD 2900XT. The GeForce 8800 GTS is also much cooler and quieter for the very same reason, making it a more practical option as well."
- LegionHardware.com
Now this is a fanboy statement if I ever saw one. Obviosuly you do not keep up on current trends or have even a remote idea of what you are talking about. 8800's are showing more in DX9, but these cards are DX10 and that is what we are moving towards rapidly and that is what matters most. My 7950GX2 will outperform a 8800 GTS no sweat so if I was worried about beating that card I'd stick to my current card. But since I care more about the future and DX10 now, then to me the only logical choice is the HD 2900 XT 1GB card. Once game makers cater to the way ATI does things, it will show it's true power. It has a much higher bandwidth than the 8800's and to me is superior. Instead of quoting something, try having an original thought of your own and maybe better, try actually owning some of the hardware you critique before putting your foot firmly in your mouth.
Old September 10, 2007, 04:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Once game makers cater to the way ATI does things, it will show it's true power.
maybe once ATI ponies up some dough and sponsors game development like nVidia will see some games built for thier hardware.