Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Help with 2900xt installation (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/2508-help-2900xt-installation.html)

SirenOfDarkness September 7, 2007 08:53 PM

Help with 2900xt installation

Hey i recently built a computer and i have my HD 2900xt
needless to say the instructions are shit and not detailed at all so i installed it and plug the 6pin pci-e cable in to the 6 pin slot no boot display nada so well i think wtf? red led on the main board and a red led ner 6pin is on whats going on so i take the 6 pin plug it in the 8pin slot thing boots up i get OS installed what not after abit i get a graphics card doesnt have enough power? wtf so i shut her down plug the other pcie cable into the other 6pin slot boot it up and its good to go so far did i install this thing right? or em i looking at going back and getting an over the counter exchange? lol after it frys good thing i have warranty

oh i should note that the redled switch was on ner the 6 pin plug on the gpu and shut off when i plug the other pcie in so currently its using 2 pcie cords

i have played supreme commander for about 9 hours straight all settings max 1680 - 1050 resolution it works wounders? just need to know if its installed correctly

really wish they took the time for a more detailed graphics card manual

belgolas September 7, 2007 09:12 PM

Thw 2900xt needs 2 pci-e power plugs in it to have enough power.

Patriote September 7, 2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belgolas (Post 19126)
Thw 2900xt needs 2 pci-e power plugs in it to have enough power.

WRONG. It needs only 1 6-pin PCI-Express to be plugged but for maximum overclocking, the 8-Pin must be plugged. It's not 2 PCI-Express connector. It's 1 PCI-Express 6-pin + 1 8-pin connector.

But seriously, i have no clue why it didn't booted up at first time.

Oh and personally, i'd run the card with the 6-pin and 8-pin plugged in even if not overclocking. Just for safeness.

SKYMTL September 7, 2007 09:45 PM

Sorry Patriote.....it does indeed need two PCI-E power connectors. There are however several configurations that you can have.

2x PCI-E 6-pin: Standard power input. No Overclocking through CCC
1x PCI-E 6-pin & 1x PCI-E 8-pin: Overclocking unlocked in CCC
2x PCI-E 6-pin + 2x Ground connectors (plugged into unused 2 pins on 8-pin female plug on card): Overclocking unlocked in CCC

My buddy tried booting his HD2900XT 1GB with only one PCI-E 6-pin and no dice.

Patriote September 7, 2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 19131)
Sorry Patriote.....it does indeed need two PCI-E power connectors. There are however several configurations that you can have.

2x PCI-E 6-pin: Standard power input. No Overclocking through CCC
1x PCI-E 6-pin & 1x PCI-E 8-pin: Overclocking unlocked in CCC
2x PCI-E 6-pin + 2x Ground connectors (plugged into unused 2 pins on 8-pin female plug on card): Overclocking unlocked in CCC

My buddy tried booting his HD2900XT 1GB with only one PCI-E 6-pin and no dice.

Oh oh! Good info. I had heard the infos i posted above early in the release of the HD2900XT. So either 2 PCI-Express for non overclocking or 1 8-pin + 1 PCI-Express 6-pin for unlocked overclocking eh?

enaberif September 8, 2007 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriote (Post 19132)
Oh oh! Good info. I had heard the infos i posted above early in the release of the HD2900XT. So either 2 PCI-Express for non overclocking or 1 8-pin + 1 PCI-Express 6-pin for unlocked overclocking eh?

Correct.

SirenOfDarkness September 8, 2007 04:40 AM

i was aware of the 8 pin for overclocking it as well but i didnt think this thing would need 2 pcie 6 pins lol Cool alright were good then man this card is a hungry beast lol thanks for clearing it up they seriously need to specify this in the book in the box though where can i get the 8 pin connector for this thing? didnt come in the box so i assume that they dont have plans to release it just yet?

ebdoradz September 8, 2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriote (Post 19132)

the 8 pin plug is the "new" PCI-e 8pin connector require by PCI-e 2.0 spec

now High enbd PSU provide both 6 and 8 pin pci-e conector since its gonna be more familiar with the new video card HD3k and gf9

SirenOfDarkness September 8, 2007 04:46 AM

I have another issue though ha ha if anyone wants to tackle it thanks for the help guys with the graphics card , heres the link to another question and i know some of ya are going to tell me to read hardware specs online but its better to get info from people first hand

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/troub...html#post19116

Patriote September 8, 2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebdoradz (Post 19149)
the 8 pin plug is the "new" PCI-e 8pin connector require by PCI-e 2.0 spec

now High enbd PSU provide both 6 and 8 pin pci-e conector since its gonna be more familiar with the new video card HD3k and gf9

Cool :)