Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2009, 01:00 AM
Top Prospect

Default 5870 or 5850? Or 5770? And when?

I'm planning a video card upgrade - I never jumped from my 4670 to a 4870 like I had planned, so I'm particularly anticipating this upgrade... however, money definitely isn't unlimited and there's a time frame. My dad is putting together a computer for my mom for Christmas, and I told him he could have my 4670 - so it would definitely be best if I can have my card in my system by Christmas week.

I'm running a Q9550 with 4GB of PC3-12800 RAM, and I do my gaming at 1920x1200. I've done quite well with my 4670, and even really enjoyed Crysis Warhead at 1920x1200, although obviously with stuff turned down. I'm not a HUGE gamer, and I'm not a benchmark buff, but I'd like to be able to have some eye candy when I play. I know DX11 will likely take some time to be adopted, but I'm fairly set on DX11, so that puts the 4000 series completely out. My motherboard will do crossfire, so I could get one card now, and another later, but I do prefer the single GPU solution if I can do it.

So, the first question is, which card? I'm leaning toward the 5850. I WANT the 5870, but I'm having trouble justifying it - a 5850 now, and another later if I'm unsatisfied seems smarter. What are your thoughts?

The second question is when? How much are costs likely to drop before Christmas, and how soon before Christmas do I have to order (likely through NCIX) to be sure it comes by Christmas? And for anyone who has a premier partnership at NCIX, how significantly are PP prices likely to drop in that time? Not looking for specifics on PP prices as I know those aren't supposed to be publicly divulged.

I'm thinking of just going ahead and ordering a 5850 this coming week - any thoughts or insights?
Old November 1, 2009, 01:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The 5770 is a great card and right where it should be but seems underpowered in the long run, especially when we don't know how it, or any other 5-series will perform when DX11 comes to games. The 5870 is balls-out, "look at me I'm rich haha" card which IMO seems beefy enough to handle Crysis 3 on DX11. But it's yet to be seen. Unfortunately in the meanwhile the thing weighs in at $400+ CAD (not to mention tax/shipping) and it's big as hell.

I think you're on the right path when it comes to the 5850. It's still a very, very solid performer and costs much less. In this case you can buy this card, the runner-up and still have bragging rights with no shame :p . And yeah, you can always crossfire later on. Eventually Nvidia will release the GTX3 series, in which case the prices will probably come down and if you really, really want to, then crossfire that sombitch. But right now it's got solid performance, and with two of them down the road you can't go wrong.

Dude, two things. Prices don't drop before Christmas, they drop AFTER Christmas, i.e boxing day/week/clearance sales, or what have you. In some cases prices get jacked up oh so slightly so that retailers can take advantage of the "gift" element. Buy your card soon BEFORE it starts getting into Christmas hype, that way you can get it at a good, average, regular price, AND you don't gotta worry about it arriving on time because the delivery service isn't gonna be crammed with orders because it's NOT Christmas time.

Either way the latest I'd say you could order it to ensure it arrives on time is 3 weeks into November, 4 Weeks MAX, but that's pushing it. I'm the earlybird type that likes to be prepared when waiting for a shipment lest something goes wrong, or they take too long, or whatever. If you're feeling ballsy, 1 week into December. The reason being that people start ordering stuff to get shipped to them by Christmas for gifts or w/e, and then it loads up the delivery guys and they deliver stuff slowly because they got a really high volume of orders, because it's Christmas.

As for PP pricing, etc. I wouldn't know. I'm not a PP.

TL;DR - Buy a 5850. It's price/performance is great and prices will drop soon anyway so you can't go wrong if you CF.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old November 1, 2009, 02:02 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the response. I'd originally planned to wait until January, or until nVidia brought out their new cards... but the idea of getting my mom a computer for Christmas bumped my plans further up. I'll probably place my order tomorrow... still leaning toward the 5850 for the reasons you stated.

I do have another question... on a 5850, would you pay a $25 to $30 premium to go XFX over Powercolor?

Last edited by Maplicito; November 1, 2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old November 1, 2009, 05:08 AM
Allstar

Yes....for that 25 to 30 dollars you get a great warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong(fellas) but I don't think you void your warranty if you put an after market cooler on like most other companies.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old November 1, 2009, 05:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

XFX is the best coz of their Double Lifetime warranty

-Plato
Old November 1, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IF Nvidia releases Fermi before christmas, expect some pretty big price drops as ATI should be able to drop their prices a lot.
Old November 1, 2009, 09:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
XFX is the best coz of their Double Lifetime warranty
Yeah. XFX is awesome for video cards.
Old November 1, 2009, 07:07 PM
Top Prospect

Well, I ordered. Not the 5850 though. Someone else made an argument for me. Something about my responsible inner person vs my inner child. My inner child tied up my responsible inner person, and threw him in a closet. I have an XFX 5870 on the way. Or rather, back ordered, but hopefully on the way before Christmas. I just hope my inner child is still giddy when my entertainment budget is slashed for the next while!
Old November 1, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Awww! Look how it turned out! The irony is just...cool :p
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old November 1, 2009, 08:50 PM
Top Prospect

Haha, yeah, the irony is great, isn't it? Well, it's my first ever premium video card, so that will keep me happy for a little while... I'll eventually have an entertainment budget again. Up until now, I believe my 4670 was the most high end GPU I've ever used. Everything else was a hand-me-down, or else something my dad picked up without really knowing what to look for.

I think I am now done spending on my PC until I run out of hard disk space! Or until I make room for an eye-finity setup.