Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2007, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default My dead 8800GTX story :(

So here is what happened to that lovely 8800GTX i was owning.

I accidentally killed it by shorting it with my OCZ Ram cooler. I went outside with that OCZ Ram cooler and used my hammer to arrange it's face... Since i was really pissed off at it... :S But shhhhh! EVGA might be reading!

Man i tell you guys, don't buy those freaking ram coolers. It's been twice! I bought 2 of them and both died on me after a few months of use. 1 of the 2 fans gets suddenly extremely loud and start to make insane vibrations. TWICE! But this time i had decided to remove the dam cooler, that had just started to make that freaking annoying sound with extreme vibration, right when the computer was running.

I tried to remove it right away when the comp was running because it was causing so much vibration and i was scared that all those vibs would kill my lovely new ram kit that i had just got from an RMA back from G.SKill. And as you all know, the darn OCZ cooler sometime sits extremely close to any graphic cards that is located in the first PCI-E slot. Depends on your board tho. So i went ahead and tried to remove the cooler but what i didn't realized is that i had mounted the ram cooler before hooking my 8800GTX back when i was doing my latest loop. So i couldn't get it out there that easy. I pushed my 8800GTX down a little to get the ram cooler out the white ram holders and when it was removed, i un-screwed the higher thumbscrew and when i finally removed the ram cooler, i touched my 8800GTX with it... Comp rebooted, i heard windows loading up and nothing showed up on my LCD... Removed the card and switched it for a 7800GTX and comp was running fine... Card was dead and i knew it. Tried removing my EK block from it, hooking back stock cooler on it and still, card won't show anything on my LCD. And worse is that it does not have any sign of anything broke or something... So, im trying to RMA the card :S

Long story eh?
• - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
• - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
• - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
• - Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
• - Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
• - CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
• - Dell UltraSharp 24''
• - Noctua NH-D14
Old September 6, 2007, 09:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

damn sometimes sht happends, good luck with rma
|::|CPU: i7 920 "D0"@?|::|MOBO: EVGA Classified|::|RAM: 6GB G.Skill Trident ddr3|::|GPU: BFG GTX 275|::|HDD: 2xSamsung F1 1TB|::|PSU: Ultra X3 1000W|::|Sound: Xonar DX|::|Powered by Heatkiller 3.0 LT/EK GTX275/EK Classified/Feser One X-360 TFC|::|Silverstone TJ 07
LCD: Samsung T260 25,5|::|Logitech Z5500
Project: Classified by Hausner - work in progress.
Old September 6, 2007, 09:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I killed my 7800GTX in much the same fashion.

Hope it gets sorted quick!!
Old September 6, 2007, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As unfortunate as this is, honestly, you brought it upon yourself. Just don't mention what happened with the OCZ hardware eh?

Hm. You know, this could be avoided if boards/cases with (for the most part) isolated airflow zones (like the MacPro) were more common and more people were wanting them. I mean, there is this big need for great cooling but all the x86 boards and stuff that I have seen just don't look like they are designed to accommodate such things. Why? Well, as far as I can tell, because the ATX standard is old and high levels of cooling were not needed back then as much as they are now.
I say we revise or ditch ATX and implement something designed with pwnage cooling in mind.(wind tunnel style ;) ) The air should flow in the front and out the back, nice, simple, clean and efficient. Only downside though is that you might have to sacrifice one expansion slot to space the others a bit farther apart for airflow reasons.. or just make the mobos bigger.
idk
Old September 6, 2007, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
As unfortunate as this is, honestly, you brought it upon yourself. Just don't mention what happened with the OCZ hardware eh?

Hm. You know, this could be avoided if boards/cases with (for the most part) isolated airflow zones (like the MacPro) were more common and more people were wanting them. I mean, there is this big need for great cooling but all the x86 boards and stuff that I have seen just don't look like they are designed to accommodate such things. Why? Well, as far as I can tell, because the ATX standard is old and high levels of cooling were not needed back then as much as they are now.
I say we revise or ditch ATX and implement something designed with pwnage cooling in mind.(wind tunnel style ;) ) The air should flow in the front and out the back, nice, simple, clean and efficient. Only downside though is that you might have to sacrifice one expansion slot to space the others a bit farther apart for airflow reasons.. or just make the mobos bigger.
idk
I 100% support what you said just here. Manufacturers needs to re-dimention the standard motherboard design. They could make it so that it uses the screws holes of standard ATX mobos maybe ? But that wouldn't work with small form cases tho. Maybe case designers should pop case with such ideas before the mobo manufacturer pops out mobos with "LATX" design. yes, "LATX" is the name i gave the new u-cming mobo design! Large-ATX ROFL Not really original eh?
• - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
• - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
• - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
• - Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
• - Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
• - CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
• - Dell UltraSharp 24''
• - Noctua NH-D14
Old September 6, 2007, 11:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I popped a 6800GS while removing the SLI bracket with the power still on so I know the feeling and it is something you only do once if you're smart.
I own the CoolIt Ram Fan and find it does a superb job and haven't had a single issue with it
Old September 7, 2007, 12:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Bro, never change or remove anything with pc running, even fans. Guess you learned that the hard way, sorry for your loss. :(
Old September 7, 2007, 02:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post

idk
Wasn't that what BTX was supposed to do? Sounds like the same concept your talking about. I believe OEMs still use it but it never really made it the to the "enthusiast" commutation.

Sorry to hear about your 8800GTX Patriote. But no offense, you shouldn't be doing things with your computer running. If it was off, this whole issue would have been avoided I'd think.
Old September 7, 2007, 02:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty common mistake though....

Don't know how many times I've booted a new build with the case side off, and then started to screw the PCI blanking covers into place before thinking better about waving a metal screwdriver around, not to mention taking the chance of dropping a screw onto the motherboard while it's live......

Never actually fried anything that way yet though... (knock on wood....).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 7, 2007, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Pretty common mistake though....

Don't know how many times I've booted a new build with the case side off, and then started to screw the PCI blanking covers into place before thinking better about waving a metal screwdriver around, not to mention taking the chance of dropping a screw onto the motherboard while it's live......

Never actually fried anything that way yet though... (knock on wood....).
I guess I am just plain paranoid, I wouldnt ever think of doing that.
Sat on a MOBO once , now I keep my workarea a little cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton