Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2009, 10:01 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
I would seriously consider this if the HUD in FPSs was on the center monitor and if when you maximized a Window it went to only one monitor instead of across all three. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future there was a way to do that, but until then I'll stick with my 22in CRT for 1280*1024 @ 115Hz. (115Hz is so sexy, I wish I had the money to try out a 120Hz LCD)
The only way for that to happen is the game developer to program it into their game. Since Eyefinity is starting to catch on, I wouldn't doubt that its a possibility for new games to start supporting this feature. For now, if I need to check my ammo and stats, I always have my G19 to fill me in with the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayPee View Post
Where did you get that adapter? did you try any others before that one?
just got one from startech.com, it works with one monitor, but not sure how it will work with 3.
I got the adaptor from the states. I had a buddy get one for me from Dell just before they went on backorder, and another one from the states that shipped to Canada overnight. Again they are out of stock as well. Now that I've upgraded to 3 27" Dell LCD's, I use the built in DP and sold the 2 adaptors.
Xfx R9 290X (x2) Sapphire Tri-X 290X 6048x1200/2560x1440 @120Hz| Dell 2709W (left/right) Yamakasi Q270 Catleap 2b 120hz version (center)
OCZ Vertex 3 (x2) Raid 0 480Gb - Windows 8.1 PRO (windows 7 mockup)
Corsair Obsidian 800D | Seasonic X-1250
HeatKiller 3.0 | EK R9 290x WB (x3) | TFC Exchanger Quad Rad |Thermochill PA120.3 rad|TFC Dual rad Scythe Gentle Typhoon (x9) |Swiftech MCP655 (x2) | EK drive bay Res.
Old November 12, 2009, 03:01 PM
Rookie

I want this bad, but guess i'm gonna have to wait for those thin bezel monitors from Samsung, I hope the hell they'll sell them up here, seems we can't get much new tech in this country anymore!
Old November 14, 2009, 02:16 PM
HaDeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontariotl View Post
Shows up as one large screen of 5760x1200.
Damn...

Have you experimented with portrait mode and the 27's? I'd be curious to see what it looks like with the bezels removed too. Very impressive tho... and I agree the bezel's wouldn't bother me in the least.
Old October 16, 2010, 06:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontariotl View Post
The only way for that to happen is the game developer to program it into their game. Since Eyefinity is starting to catch on, I wouldn't doubt that its a possibility for new games to start supporting this feature. For now, if I need to check my ammo and stats, I always have my G19 to fill me in with the details

I got the adaptor from the states. I had a buddy get one for me from Dell just before they went on backorder, and another one from the states that shipped to Canada overnight. Again they are out of stock as well. Now that I've upgraded to 3 27" Dell LCD's, I use the built in DP and sold the 2 adaptors.
Thanks very much for the info and link for the Active adapter! I registered to thankyou for that as well as ask a couple questions.

I have 1x Samsung 27" and 2x Samsung 24" and I just purchased the Powercolor Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6. According to my research, I will only need 1 active displayport to DVI and I can use the 2 DVI outputs straight out of the card(with the adapters..just not active).

Is this correct? Or will I need 3 active Displayport adapters in my case?

Thanks again for the info and the link to the adapter place. I bought one today.

tilt
Old October 16, 2010, 07:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You must get a HUGE advantage in competitive FPS's.
Old October 16, 2010, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltawhirl View Post
Thanks very much for the info and link for the Active adapter! I registered to thankyou for that as well as ask a couple questions.

I have 1x Samsung 27" and 2x Samsung 24" and I just purchased the Powercolor Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6. According to my research, I will only need 1 active displayport to DVI and I can use the 2 DVI outputs straight out of the card(with the adapters..just not active).

Thanks again for the info and the link to the adapter place. I bought one today.

tilt
I'm pretty sure all the EF6 cards use mini DP, in which case you will need an adapter for each monitor unless it has native DP.
Old October 16, 2010, 07:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
I'm pretty sure all the EF6 cards use mini DP, in which case you will need an adapter for each monitor unless it has native DP.
Yes, I do realise I will need mini dp to dp then dp - dvi adapters for all three, but I am not sure if you require active dp to DVI on all 3 since the eyefinity card supports 2 dvi outs or 1 dvi out and 1 HDMI out from two of the mini dp ports.

tilt
Old October 16, 2010, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yes, I do realise I will need mini dp to dp then dp - dvi adapters for all three, but I am not sure if you require active dp to DVI on all 3 since the eyefinity card supports 2 dvi outs or 1 dvi out and 1 HDMI out from two of the mini dp ports.

tilt
On a typical card like mine, I have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1DP. I have to use an active converter to use the displayport regardless of how many other monitors are plugged in. I believe the EF6 will need active adpaters for all 3. Passive VGA does work though.
Old October 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:

tilt
Wow! Can't believe it's almost a year since I posted my eyefinity lovin! Time has flown for sure and have never looked back. It's good to see some Nvidia surround as well, but I'll stick with my Dual 5970's and 8800GTX for PhysX.

Anyways, back to the question at hand. I'm not too familiar with the Eyefinity 6 since the ports are all DP until you use an adaptor. Since it was designed for 6 monitors (overkill really), I'm not sure that they included an extra controller for more DVI ports or not. Judging by the pics I see of the card, it looks to be the same setup as 5870, just more display ports. However, it should be possible to hook up 2 DVI and one display port like the original HD5000 series. So the active adaptor will be the way to go.

Now the only other issue is that you have 1 27" samsung, and 2 24" samsungs. As awkward as it maybe (make sure to use the 27 in the middle ), as long as the resolution is identical to the smaller 24" monitors (1920x1080) you should be ok. If it has a different resolution, there might be a problem. I know in the past that you cant mix resolutions on the monitors to go EF.
Xfx R9 290X (x2) Sapphire Tri-X 290X 6048x1200/2560x1440 @120Hz| Dell 2709W (left/right) Yamakasi Q270 Catleap 2b 120hz version (center)
OCZ Vertex 3 (x2) Raid 0 480Gb - Windows 8.1 PRO (windows 7 mockup)
Corsair Obsidian 800D | Seasonic X-1250
HeatKiller 3.0 | EK R9 290x WB (x3) | TFC Exchanger Quad Rad |Thermochill PA120.3 rad|TFC Dual rad Scythe Gentle Typhoon (x9) |Swiftech MCP655 (x2) | EK drive bay Res.