Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 15, 2009, 10:07 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterpeg, MB
Posts: 187
Default Eyefinity - using different monitors

I've googled till I've turned been blue in the face, but I cannot seem to get a consistant answer to this question. Can you use different monitors, with different resolutions for eyefinity? Some say no, others state that you can, but all monitors must be able of displaying the same resolution. The last option seems to be very probable to me, but I'd like to hear from someone with experience if this is the case. I'm planning on buying the Dell U2410 as my center monitor and having my two Samsung 226BW's on each side. I know using 3 of the same monitors will garner the best results, but lets face it, I'm not exactly interested in spending 1500$ on monitors at this time. Too bad money didn't grow on trees :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
James
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old October 15, 2009, 10:10 AM
Spaceman-Spiff's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: burnaby.bc.ca
Posts: 355
Default

Please read this useful thread: Eyefinity Clarification Thread Q&A
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 15, 2009, 10:10 AM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,999

My System Specs

Default

AFAIK the monitors much have matched resolutions and all be the in landscape or all be in portrait. You can't have, say a 24'' in landscape in the center with 2x 22'' side monitors on landscape.

Edit:
What spiff sad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman-Spiff View Post
Please read this useful thread: Eyefinity Clarification Thread Q&A
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old October 15, 2009, 10:22 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterpeg, MB
Posts: 187
Default

The thing is, the 24" panel will still run at 1680x1050. So if it's not run at its native resolution of 1920x1200, I'm wonder if it'll work. Some people are stating that it will, which is what I was wondering whether or not anyone else can confirm. As far as the panel orientation goes, I'm only planning on having them all in landscape, Samsung 226BW don't even offer the option of rotating the monitor.
James
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old October 15, 2009, 10:27 AM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,999

My System Specs

Default

Hmmm, i believe that would only work if your monitor itself can upscale a 1680x1050 image to your 1900x1200 native resolution, because your graphics card will not be able to. Once the monitors are placed in the group they are treated as One monitor by windows. So window scaling/desktop scaling, etc would have to be across all the monitors and not just one... again, unless your monitor can upscale the image itself.
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old October 15, 2009, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterpeg, MB
Posts: 187
Default

e.g. Eyefinity question - [H]ard|Forum

To put emphasis on this:
Quote:
This is how Eyefinity works, you get three resolutions a multiple of 800x600, 1280x1024, and maximum resolution. Lets assume you have three panels in a 3x1 setup as follows:

[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]

1 - 22" 1680x1050
2 - 24" 1920x1200
3 - 22" 1680x1050

Your three Eyefinity resolutions available to you will be:

2400x600, 3840x1024, 5040x1050

Notice that your maximum Eyefinity resolution is 5040x1050 which is 1680*3 x 1050, so Eyefinity will take the lowest maximum resolution from the group and use that as the limit.

However, you can still do your traditional extended desktop and have three panel support at their maximum resolution.
James

Edit: I have never heard of a monitor upscaling a resolution..... I don't even think its possible. Downscaling would be far simplier. All my monitors are 16:10 so downscaling the 24" to 1680*1050 so that its compatible with eyefinity shouldn't be much of an issue (at least I think, which is what I'm curious about).

Last edited by James_8970; October 15, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old October 15, 2009, 03:09 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_8970 View Post
Edit: I have never heard of a monitor upscaling a resolution..... I don't even think its possible. Downscaling would be far simplier. All my monitors are 16:10 so downscaling the 24" to 1680*1050 so that its compatible with eyefinity shouldn't be much of an issue (at least I think, which is what I'm curious about).
Your understanding of the terminology is incorrect. When an LCD attempts to display an image smaller than its native resolution and stretch it across the entire panel rather than using 1:1 scaling, it has to upscale the image to its native resolution. This is done by copying certain pixels and multiplying them around the source pixel, to give the illusion that the image is higher-resolution than it actually is (essentially "blowing up" the image). This usually looks best when scaling to a resolution whose dimensions are an integer multiple of the source image, like going from 800x600 to 1600x1200 for example.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old October 15, 2009, 03:28 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterpeg, MB
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Your understanding of the terminology is incorrect. When an LCD attempts to display an image smaller than its native resolution and stretch it across the entire panel rather than using 1:1 scaling, it has to upscale the image to its native resolution. This is done by copying certain pixels and multiplying them around the source pixel, to give the illusion that the image is higher-resolution than it actually is (essentially "blowing up" the image). This usually looks best when scaling to a resolution whose dimensions are an integer multiple of the source image, like going from 800x600 to 1600x1200 for example.
Yeah, defiantly got the terminology confused if that's the case. I assumed it was the way I said it because of how there are DVD players that upscale 480p to 1080i content.
James
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old October 15, 2009, 04:00 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_8970 View Post
Yeah, defiantly got the terminology confused if that's the case. I assumed it was the way I said it because of how there are DVD players that upscale 480p to 1080i content.
James
Those DVD players are doing exactly the same thing as I described. Although pretty much all of the time there are algorithms being used to increase the image quality rather than doing straight scaling.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old October 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterpeg, MB
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Those DVD players are doing exactly the same thing as I described. Although pretty much all of the time there are algorithms being used to increase the image quality rather than doing straight scaling.
Ignore that comment. lol
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eyefinity Clarification Thread Q&A CMetaphor Video Cards 62 November 4, 2010 07:13 PM
Jump to Eyefinity or not? CMetaphor Video Cards 38 October 9, 2009 04:17 PM
So will the extra 2GB in the 5870 Eyefinity Edition help with AA like Edge Detect Z Overlord Video Cards 1 October 8, 2009 08:04 PM
Dell monitors Bujanx Display Units 22 September 7, 2009 11:23 AM
2 Monitors ih8purple Display Units 3 January 22, 2008 11:09 PM