Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2009, 07:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Aren't they going in the wrong direction?

Why is EVGA releasing these cards?

Quote:
EVGA is proud to announce the latest cards in the GeForce product lineup: the EVGA Geforce 210 and GT 220!
EVGA | Articles | EVGA GeForce 210 and GT 220
Old October 13, 2009, 07:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

This is getting so stupidly confusing with all those damn re-re-re-releases of video cards under different names with 1-2 extra features... AARRRGGGG...
Old October 13, 2009, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Those are low end cards, on a cut down GT200 core. It's already been posted a couple of times.
Old October 13, 2009, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If there's a market for them, they'll produce them. Simple fact of the matter is that a lot of people don't need wicked horsepower under their sleeves. And yes, it's pure marketing hype. The 9000 series would have done just fine, however those are most likely EOL by now. Welcome the 200 low-end series! It's just a way to make money, because faster is better.
Old October 13, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The problem from what I see is they aren't much faster than anything out there.... they're MUCH slower than a 9600GSO but cost a bit less and use like 1/4 of the power.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
The problem from what I see is they aren't much faster than anything out there.... they're MUCH slower than a 9600GSO but cost a bit less and use like 1/4 of the power.
Just curious Sushi...why exactly is this a problem for you..??...From what I see its as stated above...another low end selection of GPU's...I would think the more variety of GPU's that are out thier the better ;) Lets face it...we buy mid to high end Cards, so this doean't effect our decision making at all.

Old October 13, 2009, 10:06 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Great add in for an htpc don't you think?
Old October 13, 2009, 10:23 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

The FX5200 returns. No, wait, they never went away.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Just curious Sushi...why exactly is this a problem for you..??...From what I see its as stated above...another low end selection of GPU's...I would think the more variety of GPU's that are out thier the better ;) Lets face it...we buy mid to high end Cards, so this doean't effect our decision making at all.
1. It's from my view, AKA from what I see, and it's a problem for Nvidia.....
2. I do buy low end cards, I build other PC's and this doesn't excite me much.
3. More selection is good to a point, but overcomplicating the line-up is bad for consumers. I think it will hurt Nvidia as much as it helps them. Then again, competition is good....
Old October 13, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my opinion I think Nvidia are just selling off the 2x0 cores that came out of the fab totally screwed up. They probably had 100,000 cores that were supposed to have 240 cores but were damaged to the point they couldn't make even 192 cores out of them.

Now they are taking those gpus and making a low end card out of them.

I've got no problem with that if that's the case and it's quite smart to do. A bit more $$$ for setting up the Fermi batch.