Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2009, 07:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default NVIDIA's New Focus in a Changing Market

Last week, Hardware Canucks was invited to NVIDIA’s first annual GPU Technology Conference. It proved to be an eye-opening experience regarding the state of the industry in general and the exciting directions where it will be going in the next few years. In this article we discuss some of the focuses of the conference as well as new technologies that are just over the horizon.

You can find the article here: The GPU Technology Conference: NVIDIA's New Focus in a Changing Market

You know the drill. Use this thread for your rants.
Old October 9, 2009, 07:40 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I guess nVidia has not gone out of business yet...

Interesting to see how Cuda is being used in the healthcare industry.

Those 512 cores in the upcoming Fermi architecture look impressive from a folder's point of view. I have a feeling that nVidia will do a decent job of ensuring that they get used to their potential, with all this focus on GPU processing.

I just hope that they ensure that they focus on outperforming ATI and later Intel on the gaming front. This is where their bread and butter is in the near and medium term.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 9, 2009, 08:19 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I just hope that they ensure that they focus on outperforming ATI and later Intel on the gaming front. This is where their bread and butter is in the near and medium term.
With the quick expansion of their Tesla, Quadro, Terga and ION lines, I don't know how long that will be in effect.

Sure, the volume is there in the gaming market but I am sure selling 500 mid- end $2000 Tegra cards nets them just as much profit as selling 5000 $200 GeForce cards. If they can expand both sides, they will be unstoppable IMO. Right now ATI has some great DX11 stuff but what do they have in the emerging mobile, consumer electronics and SFF markets? Nadda. And the first person that says "Neo" should get a slap upside the head.
Old October 9, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think Nvidia's real sales will be Tegra and Tesla. Tesla would be immensely useful to all types of scientific and healthcare uses and Tegra is very compatible to everyday devices.
Old October 9, 2009, 11:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Neo. I expect chriskwarren at my house tomorrow.
Old October 10, 2009, 09:16 AM
MVP
F@H

T.G.D.N.R.
(too green; did not read)