Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2009, 10:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Replace Thermal Pads

Hey all.

I am looking for Thermal Pads (they fill the space between the ram and the heatskink). I was going to mess with a graphics card I have and they are all chewed up and crumbling.

So, I need to find thermal pads that would do the job of filling the space. I've searched a bit and found a lot of contradictory information. I am however certain that just slapping thermal paste on there is a NO.

I would guess it would require 1mm thickness at least.

Here is a pic to illustrate what I am looking for. Preferably, I'd like to be able to get it from NCIX or DirectCanada. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks ahead.
Padded_Canuck :)
Attached Images

Old October 11, 2009, 08:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Forty-two views but no ideas or suggestions.

I've done a lot more searching and I read on a forum that I can essentially heat up the compound on the board a bit and then it becomes maleable. Once it's soft, I can essentially mold it back into shape and then replace the heatsink.

Can anyone who pulls cards apart often confirm this?

Cheers!
Hoping_For_A_Reply_Canuck :)
Old October 11, 2009, 08:08 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Give it a try. BTW the area you are pointing to is the VRM's not the ram.
Old October 11, 2009, 08:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks Squee, you are right, it's the little tiny ones that are covered by this stuff.

I am going to grab my wife's hair dryer later on while I watch the singles matches and cook the turkey. Yeah.. you heard me.. I'M cooking the turkey!

I'll give an update later on tonight if it's successful or not.

Cheers!
Turkey_Stuffing_Canuck :)
Old October 19, 2009, 07:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Just an fyi for those who have the same issue with this stuff. If you heat it up a bit (not too much), it becomes relatively malleable and you can work with it pretty well.

It required some patience but with the help of one of those little plastic mini-spatulas and a hair dryer, I was able to work the compound back into the recessions, remould it back into a straight line and then level it off.

The only issues I had were gathering the little particles of thermal compound back onto the heatsink's frame. The stuff is NOT adhesive in the strictest sense of the word, so I had to be careful not to press it too hard or it would come off with the little plastic spatula.

Overall, I am pleased with the results. So pleased in fact that I am going to pull the Heatsink and fan off my 5850 and put some MX2 on the heatsink. If the thermal pad compound on the VRMs is bad, I'll be able to fix it up nicely.

Cheers!
Waranties_Be_Damned_Canuck ;)
Old October 20, 2009, 05:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you do know that thermal pads are cheap to buy right. ( for me this is kinda like using tim over which i will never do )
Old October 20, 2009, 06:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I asked in this thread and looked elswhere in other threads, forums and stores for the small white strips that fill the gap and I either got no responses or could not find any for sale.

So... without any other apparent solutions, I went with the ghetto fix and it worked fine.

However, for future reference gingerbee, can you link me to some product pages that I can order from for next time ? (because there will, of course, be a "next time").

Cheers!
Play-doh_Canuck :)
Old October 20, 2009, 06:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Akasa Thermal Adhesive Tape - 80 x 80 mm Square (AK-TT12-80) - FrozenCPU.com
this is where i get mine or there's
Petra's Tech Shop
Akasa Thermal Adhesive Tape 80 x 80mm Products Model: AK-TT12-80 [AK-TT12-80] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
Old October 20, 2009, 08:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

D'oh! I was looking at that kind of stuff too. I should have posted a link to it when I was asking.

Thanks Gingerbee.
Ready_For_Next_Time_Canuck :)
Old December 26, 2009, 03:31 AM
Trial Member

these are not thermal pads but thermal adhesive tape...they are alternative to thermal conductive glue and are used for fastening for example small ramsinks on your vram when you use an aftermarket cooler and need something to cool the vram (in case they don't come with a thermal tape already or you need to re-use them on a different card). They are not thick enough to be used with your original video card heatsink cause they are basically just a double sided tape. You need thicker ones (those akasa are just 0,3mm thick).

Thermal PADS

You need one of these. These from EK (well known watercooling manufacturer) come in three thicknesses (0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm). You need to pick the one that suits your heatsink design the most. From what I've seen being used on graphic cards you probably need the 1mm and 0.5mm ones. The ones on your card don't have to be all the same thickness so I'd probably get those 2 just to be sure. They might also be more effective than the original ones used on your video card since many manufacturers skimp on the thermal material. You also need a thermal paste for the gpu core. But I guess you know that since that is probably why you disassembled your card anyway.

and btw although thermal pads manufacturers don't usually recommend combining thermal pads with thermal paste I've found a layer of AS5 or your favourite thermal paste can actually improve a lot the temperatures. I did that on my 4870 and the temps were greatly improved. I haven't tried the EK ones, only put the AS5 over the original thermal pads.

Last edited by m4t3y; December 26, 2009 at 03:43 AM.