Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2009, 06:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer_2099 View Post
2- It's nice to see their potential price point includes the Dirt2 coupon. I am not one for racing games so the absence of the Dirt2 coupon with my card is not an issue, but if you are looking for added value, then I admit, this card surpasses mine.
I don't want to make any problems but I thought that ATI mandated that ALL of their board partners should ship DiRT 2 coupons with the initial shipments of HD 5800-series products...

Quote:
As for the card, I game at 1680x1050 on my 22in LCD. Sure, some cards run nearly as quickly (like the 4890), but considering I am installing Win 7 next week anyways and moving up from a 3870, for 283$ (cdn), I feel the 5850 is a good purchase!
If you game at that resolution, I think this card would be the perfect fit but I also think that ATI should release a card that lies somewhere between the HD 5850 and the cards being released next week. As it stands, the HD 4890 will probably continue being their flagship card at the $199 price point which means the GTX 275 also has some life left in it.

Quote:
As for temps, I have a question:

SKYMTL, when you were running the temperature tests, you had a range from 41 C at idle to 77 C at load. When it got up around 77, did you notice if the fan spun up a bit over 33%? I ask because you said the fan spun up to 40% at times and I was wondering if this was one of those times.
It seems like there are a few different fan speed profiles running around different BIOS versions on these cards. The card I have doesn't allow temps to go above 77C. It keeps the temps in check by slightly increasing the fan speed when the card hits that mark.
Old October 9, 2009, 06:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

As always, Great review Sky!

Old October 9, 2009, 07:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I don't want to make any problems but I thought that ATI mandated that ALL of their board partners should ship DiRT 2 coupons with the initial shipments of HD 5800-series products...
Thanks Sky, I've sent an email to Customer Relations at Gigabyte. I did not mention your name.

Quote:
It seems like there are a few different fan speed profiles running around different BIOS versions on these cards. The card I have doesn't allow temps to go above 77C. It keeps the temps in check by slightly increasing the fan speed when the card hits that mark.
That's good to hear. I'd rather know it may be a BIOS profile than an actual cooling issue. I am happy with the cooling solution and the look of the Heatsink Shroud. So much in fact I am going to do a new window (slightly frosted this time) for my side panel this weekend!

Let's talk about POWER CONSUMPTION.

This is the test setup:
Quote:
Test System & Setup

Processor:
Intel Core i7 920(ES) @ 4.0Ghz (Turbo Mode Enabled)
Memory: Corsair 3x2GB Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz
Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling: CoolIT Boreas mTEC + Scythe Fan Controller
Disk Drive: Pioneer DVD Writer
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000W
Monitor: Samsung 305T 30 widescreen LCD
The power consumption was reported as follows:
Quote:
For this test we hooked up our power supply to a UPM power meter that will log the power consumption of the whole system twice every second. In order to stress the GPU as much as possible we once again use the Batch Render test in 3DMark06 and let it run for 30 minutes to determine the peak power consumption while letting the card sit at a stable Windows desktop for 30 minutes to determine the peak idle power consumption. We have also included several other tests as well.

RESULTS: System (Idle) = 171 Watts System (Load) = 325 Watts
So that means that the card at Load is using about 160 Watts Peak. If we take that configuration and throw in another 5850, in theory that would be about 585 Watts peak. Do you test without a case on a table, or do you test it in a case with fans, etc.

That's getting close to the 600 Watt requirement of Crossfire, but that's the absolute PEAK power draw scenarios. So would you say that 600 Watts is somewhat unrealistic and that 650 Watts or 750 Watts would be more in line?

Cheers!
Powerhungry_Canuck :)

Last edited by Surfer_2099; October 9, 2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old October 9, 2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
So that means that the card at Load is using about 160 Watts Peak. If we take that configuration and throw in another 5850, in theory that would be about 585 Watts peak. Do you test without a case on a table, or do you test it in a case with fans, etc.

That's getting close to the 600 Watt requirement of Crossfire, but that's the absolute PEAK power draw scenarios. So would you say that 600 Watts is somewhat unrealistic and that 650 Watts or 750 Watts would be more in line?

I see what you are getting at but you have to remember a few other factors come into play here. First of all, the 325W is being pulled from the wall and not at the hardware level. The Corsair HX1000 I am using has an efficiency of about 85% at those loads which means the actual draw of the components is ~275W. Add another 160W card to that and you only have about 435W of load from a dual HD 5850 system equipped with a 4Ghz i7. That is well within the boundries of a 600W PSU.
Old October 9, 2009, 10:00 AM
Rookie

Did I miss the overclocking part? and you used to do after market cooling comparisons?
Old October 9, 2009, 08:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply SKYMTL. I appreciate your interpretation of the Power Demands on a system. Of all the things that I don't quite understand with a pc (and Hell, I've been playing about with x86 computers since my trusty 286), it's power usage.

I look forward to OC, Xfire and Hybrid Xfire results in the near future!

Cheers!
Late_Night_Canuck :)
Old October 12, 2009, 03:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I went ahead and ordered a 5850, however, I passed on XFX and went with Asus since they have the built in voltage tweaker. Figured that would allow for a nice boost to maybe near 5870 performance, plus they have a 3 year warranty which should suffice since I keep switching cards every couple of years anyway.

I look forward to replacing my 4850 CF setup with a single card since CF has been decent, but it comes with some headaches, so going back to a single card setup should be a better overall experience.
Old October 12, 2009, 03:14 PM

Still waiting to hear back from ASUS about the if the voltage tweaker is covered under warranty.
Old October 12, 2009, 03:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It is from what I've read as they include the software package with their cards and do limit the amount of voltage that you can tweak to keep it within warranty.
It would be pretty foolish on their part to include this functionality with their card, and even use it as a form of differentiating their version of the card, yet not cover it under their own warranty.
Old October 12, 2009, 11:19 PM
Top Prospect

Default Thanks SKYMTL

Great review as always.
For us old slow guys.....Ok....just me... can you explain why this card wouldn't run three monitors if none of them had Display Ports? I must have missed something. I see two DVI and a HDMI besides the DP on the back of that darned card! Thanks for this, and all your help in the past.
Can't wait to see if this thing overclocks:-)