Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2009, 02:59 PM
Rookie

Default Xfx 5850 is insanely loud!

I am in shock.

I picked up my new card this morning and raced home, giddy with anticipation.

As I began to carefully unwrap my new toy, i noticed two things...the packaging is identical to my 4870 xxx, and the instructions say that 4 pin molex to 6 pin pci adapters are not supported, yet two of them are included in the box.

After driver sweep and an easy card swap, I booted into windows and installed the drivers from the cd. The install appeared to have frozen halfway through, but after a restart, everything appeared to be okay. I downloaded the newest recommended drivers from ati and installed those.

This card kicks anoos in the performance department, running crysis on enthusiast without a hitch.

I overclocked it to 775 and 1050 in ccc, and when I manually turned the fan past 30rpm I was floored by the level of noise coming outta my Solano.

This card is easily twice as loud as my old 4870. I am disappointed that they didn't do anything to quiet it down.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Both the air intake, and exhaust venting on the 58xx series are so small, I'm really not surprised they're loud as all get out. Any smaller and they'd be whistling...
Old October 6, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Both the air intake, and exhaust venting on the 58xx series are so small, I'm really not surprised they're loud as all get out. Any smaller and they'd be whistling...
+1...I have to say that I love ATI, but with this one they haev been really stupid. They have the reputation of doing hot and noisy card and the best idea they have is to close the exhaust. Yeah right guys good Idea. She will only run hot and loud then previous. Still loving you red team!

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 6, 2009, 09:55 PM
Rookie

I suppose I will be purchasing an aftermarket gpu cooling solution for the first time. Might be the reason I need to invest in a water cooling solution.

Before switching to ATI, I ran AMD cpus on nforce boards with Geforce gpu's. Switched to ATi when they launched the 4800's and will never look back. I love the price/performance of my AMD&ATI rig.
Old October 8, 2009, 09:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

i feel your pain my friend. I got my 5870 about 2 weeks ago and the noise is beyond bearable at anything higher then 50%. Thank god i got an xfx card so im not killing the warranty on my card when i put a full coverage block on it .
Old October 8, 2009, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm...weird. All of the reviews state otherwise. Heck even's SKY's reviews on an open bench with minimal airflow gives great temps and low noise. Maybe you got a bad fan.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

if you set it to auto its nice and quiet. it doesnt go past 40 - 45% fan load during gaming for me. I also thought my 4870 was too damn loud as well. i wonder when EK is putting out the full coverage blocks for the 5870.
Old October 9, 2009, 07:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

On auto, my Gigabyte never (ever) spins up past 33% so effectively, my card is more quiet than my PSU.

When I start messing with manula settings for kicks just to see how loud it gets... well, at 100% fan speed she just screams!

So yeah, the noise is, to an extent, relative to the rest of the case I would say, but for me, the card is more quiet than my stock 3870 was, but obviously not as quiet as my 3870 was once I had installed my GFX Chilla on it.

If it's really really loud on auto and it's spinning below 40%, you may have an issue with the fan.

Cheers!
Quiet_(Relatively)_Canuck :)
Old October 9, 2009, 09:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer_2099 View Post
If it's really really loud on auto and it's spinning below 40%, you may have an issue with the fan.
If I leave everything stock and fan on auto, it is barely audible. It's when I overclock it and adjust the fan manually over 30ish that I start to hear it. I think that at 40rpm, the fan is louder than my 4870 at 70rpm.

I was just shocked by the noise compared to my 4870 at similar fan speeds.

After a few days of testing, I find that the temps stay rather cool with fan on auto, even when overclocked to the max in ccc. If I push it further it can get loud.

This is the best early adoption purchase I have ever made, and once the card hits sub $200 pricing I will be picking up another for crossfire.
Old October 10, 2009, 07:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

thats what i said after watching 3dgamemans review on youtube he set it to 50% and i jumped at how loud it was

Tags
5850 , fan , loud , noise , xfx