Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2009, 04:07 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
I don't want triple vga. 2 x vga adapter from the dvi ports and then 1 x active display adapter to dvi from the display port
2 x dvi to vga
1 x active display adapter to dvi for the displayport
so all i need to buy is
1 x dvi monitor that match's my monitor's res
1 x dvi active display adapter
and 1 x 5870/5850
I know that you can not run 3 x vga it needs the dual link for the 2 clock gens
Good luck to all that are trying to run this
IIRC.The 2 clock generators are to sync the dual link DVI.
If you go from DVI to VGA then you don't have to worry about the 2 clock generators

Instead of special ordering an $100 adapter from Dell, you can grab the $50 one at your local shop.

Afterthought
What about DisplayPort to HDMI, one of my monitors has HDMI on it
Two DVI plus DP to HDMI?

Last edited by Frank Encruncher; October 6, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old October 6, 2009, 04:08 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
ok so i can run an active displayport to dvi and then run 2 x dvi to vga adapters and eyefinity6 will work
I have 2 x vga monitors.
so all i need is a 1 x active displayport adapter and 1 dvi display plus my 2 vga's and eyefinity will work

am i right on this so confused damn?
and of course the 5850/5870
Pretty much, yes. Be careful though, you mentioned the "eyefinity6" which is not out yet and will require 2x passive DP to DVI adapters and then active ones after that. Also, all 3 monitors still must have the same resolution.
Old October 6, 2009, 04:11 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Encruncher View Post
IIRC.The 2 clock generators are to sync the dual link DVI.
If you go from DVI to VGA then you don't have to worry about the 2 clock generators

Instead of special ordering an $100 adapter from Dell, you can grab the $50 one at your local shop.
Got anything to back that up Mister?

AFAIK, most regular "over the counter" adapters, even those that are supposedly active, will NOT work. However, the Dell/Bizlink ones have been tested and Proven to work. They're not just expensive because theyre rare btw... they're expensive because they're powered (via USB) and have 3+ chips within them to create the clock and convert the DP signal to DVI.
Old October 6, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thank I just thought eyefinity6 was what it was all called my bad sorry
@CMetaphor could you recommend or are there any cheaper that work
DELL DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI Adapter for Select Dell Latitude Laptops / OptiPlex Desktops / Precision Mobile WorkStations / Precision WorkStations / Alienware Desktop : Desktop Accessories, Mice, Keyboards and Speakers | Dell
Old October 6, 2009, 04:51 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Got anything to back that up Mister?

AFAIK, most regular "over the counter" adapters, even those that are supposedly active, will NOT work. However, the Dell/Bizlink ones have been tested and Proven to work. They're not just expensive because theyre rare btw... they're expensive because they're powered (via USB) and have 3+ chips within them to create the clock and convert the DP signal to DVI.
I was talking about DP to VGA adapter which is $50
Instead of DP-DVI, has anyone tried DP-VGA or DP-HDMI to see if those work.
Old October 6, 2009, 04:51 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
The Dell one is the most readily available and fastest to ship. The Bizlink one is a bit cheaper (around 80-85 CAD i think) but harder to find. So I'd say get the Dell adapter if you want Eyefinity NOW. Otherwise, wait a couple weeks for the OEMs to start pouring them out. No idea what the MSRP is going to be on them, but my guess would be in the 50-60 range. It never pays to be an early adopter... lol

My adapter will be ordered shortly
Old October 6, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thank you sir for all the info i think i will wait a little till the cards come down a little
Old October 15, 2009, 10:14 PM
Trial Member

Hi all,

I have had an XFX 5870 up and running with a Dell/Bizlink DPtoDVI adapter and 3x LG 22" monitors for a week now. It is so much more compatible with my flight sims than the GTX295/TH2G combo ever was that I was glad to see it go.

My problem is this: for about 10 minutes per hour, my monitor on the displayport output starts going wonky, it flicks on and off like it's changing modes every few seconds, showing blackness, artifacts, patterns, and then the proper screen over and over again. Then it goes back to normal for a while.

Is this a result of a faulty adapter, or is this the adapter trying to convince the DVI monitor that it's at the wrong resolution? Can this be fixed by going DP to DVI to VGA? At this point, returning the adapter to Dell will be a tremendous pain in the rear. Could this be a bad displayport on the card?

Thanks!
trueman832
Old October 16, 2009, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

good question?
Old October 16, 2009, 07:01 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

@Trueman832: I haven't seen any of your described issues as yet, after trying several of the Dell/Bizlink adapters at work. If its behaving as you've described, then there may be a problem with the unit.

Slightly OT: I am current running the exact same setup you were (GTX295 + TH2Go) but will be trying a "test run" of a 5870 + Eyefinity this weekend I'll post back with impressions and more once thats done, as well as a few benchmarks if i get the chance.