Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Jump to Eyefinity or not? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/23730-jump-eyefinity-not.html)

CMetaphor September 29, 2009 07:59 AM

Jump to Eyefinity or not?

After seeing this video at HardOCP : AMD's ATI Eyefinity Technology Review - AMD's ATI Eyefinity Technology Review | [H]ard|OCP I find myself questioning whether or not to take the plunge into the this new tech and try out eyefinity for myself. For those of you that don't know, I'm currently using 3x 22'' monitors with a matrox triplehead2go. But this has recently started giving me problems. The #1 problem is I'm running the monitors off of a GTX295 with Windows 7.... Sufficed to say I'm in Beta or even Alpha territory here. No combination of Matrox/Nvidia drivers will let me get all the way to triple 1680x1050, not a one. Trying custom drivers for either won't work either. So... all this to say: I'm Frustrated.

Now, the question for my lil poll is, "If you were in my position, what would you do?"

PLg September 29, 2009 08:37 AM

This thing looks good when you look at all the marketing, but just like the 3d glasses did. I would wait because i'm affraid it will get nowhere just like 3dglasses. for someone who only has 1 monotor, it reprensent a big investment. If you have a 24inch monitor, you will have to buy a second one plus one with that special port with the name I forgot. You don't want to buy a 22inch.

CMetaphor September 29, 2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLg (Post 262950)
This thing looks good when you look at all the marketing, but just like the 3d glasses did. I would wait because i'm affraid it will get nowhere just like 3dglasses. for someone who only has 1 monotor, it reprensent a big investment. If you have a 24inch monitor, you will have to buy a second one plus one with that special port with the name I forgot. You don't want to buy a 22inch.

Perhaps you neglected to read my post... I already have 3x 22'' monitors. I own them. They're mine. They're on my desk at home right now.

Anyways, I should add that there are a couple things I noticed about Eyefinity after watching the video mentioned in my OP. As yet, there is no Bezel Management software/utility to speak of to hiding additional pixels behind the bezels where two monitors meet. This can be transparent for some games, but for most it is very noticable and annoying. The other thing that was mentioned in the video: Crossfire does not yet work with Eyefinity. Why? I haven't the faintest idea. One would assume that in order to push out 6+ Megapixels of graphics information at 30Fps or more, you would want to enable crossfire working to help with the workload. But it seems the drivers aren't quite there yet, perhaps later...

bojangles September 29, 2009 09:29 AM

I would make the transition personally. You have Windows 7, so you should take advantage of the technology behind it. I would get a 5870 and save yourself from more frustration. Sell your GTX295 before its value plummets at the release of Nvidia's new releases hit the shelves. However, you're going to need at least one monitor that supports DisplayPort, so you'll be looking at getting some new monitors as well if you want to keep them all the same.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I think it's for the best. Windows 7, DX11, single GPU, and triple monitors. You can't go wrong with that!

CMetaphor September 29, 2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bojangles (Post 262971)
It sounds like a lot of work, but I think it's for the best. Windows 7, DX11, single GPU, and triple monitors. You can't go wrong with that!

Sounds like a pile of rare things to me :haha: But it may just be worth it, who knows? Perhaps there will be another FS thread coming from me soon then... Not sure about selling my panels yet though, just need to find a DP->DVI adapter for the third monitor and i'd be laughing.

axle182 September 29, 2009 09:47 AM

Id suggest seeing if you can pick up Vista 64 bit? Not sure if thats an option.

I got mine working at 5040x1050 last night, took me 2 hours to try different setups, but got it. Check out WideScreenGamingForum, they have a fix for vista. it may work for 7 also, who knows. The change was to use a good driver sweeper, then go to older drivers for my 285's, and install a different version of the Matox GXM. Like i say, it definately wasnt straight forward, and mine didnt work 100% until i used the driver sweeper, now its awesome :D Played cryostasis, GTL and GTR2 at 5040x1050. Only a slight problem, even on full fans they shot straight past 80 degs lol. Luckily i have my 285 waterblocks on the table ready to go in. now that i have the triple monitors running great, its time for a tear down! If you need a hand getting it working CM, give me a shout!

CMetaphor September 29, 2009 09:54 AM

... I work at Matrox right now, lol. There's about a dozen engineers 30ft away from my desk that can give me a hand. However, they all say the same thing "2xx series in Windows 7 is not supported yet". Not sure if they're tell me to :censored: off (lol, not likely) or that the Nvidia drivers for the 2xx Series aren't working yet with any current GXM setups. Trust me though, I'm working on it :biggrin:

martin_metal_88 September 29, 2009 10:03 AM

Well I have made the jump to a 275 2 weeks before 5870 gets out so I think I will wait a little bit and then borrow my self I get it or no:( that's sad:(

Ask for more.

axle182 September 29, 2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 262979)
... I work at Matrox right now, lol. There's about a dozen engineers 30ft away from my desk that can give me a hand. However, they all say the same thing "2xx series in Windows 7 is not supported yet". Not sure if they're tell me to :censored: off (lol, not likely) or that the Nvidia drivers for the 2xx Series aren't working yet with any current GXM setups. Trust me though, I'm working on it :biggrin:

They say to know more info leaves you with less egg on your face! lol Anyways, i still offered even if its not needed! lol

So i guess we can complain to you then!, as to why the TH2G doesnt run in hi res with the latest Nvidia drivers! lol Walk over 30ft, and give them a smack and tell them to hurry, people NEED hi res surround gaming with the TH2g and want to use the latest drivers for our cards!

Mine lost the high res numbers when installing with the new Nvidia drivers. I think im on around the 180.xxx drivers now, and its working great, but im told because im in SLI, im "not getting all i should". But its the only way i got 5040x1050!. The 3x22" widescreens looks very cool. Im going to tear down the pc this week and when its back on, ill take a heap of pics and upload them to my build thread (which ive been neglecting!)

Also if you sell you setup, i have a good friend who wants a setup! lol Hes in no rush.

Good luck CM!

bojangles September 29, 2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axle182 (Post 263000)
But its the only way i got 5040x1050!. The 3x22" widescreens looks very cool. Im going to tear down the pc this week and when its back on, ill take a heap of pics and upload them to my build thread (which ive been neglecting!)

*clearing throat noises* :biggrin: Speaking of which, how do you like your third 226BW?:haha:

Search through my profile to find a FS thread specifically for you and leave feedback on iTrader!