Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

View Poll Results: Eyefinity: What would you do?
Stay with Nvidia/Matrox, and wait for an inevitable response from one/both of them 9 19.57%
Switch to ATI and give Eyefinity a whirl 29 63.04%
Be happy with what I have, downgrade OS to XP/Vista 4 8.70%
Can't Decide 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2009, 11:15 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Sorry. I've got nothin'

I ended up just tracking down a display port monitor to use for the demo.
That's lame. Just shoot down our dreams why dontcha? hehe
Old September 29, 2009, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I voted for you to go to ATI. As the resident AMD guy here you should be running an AMD gpu!

You always have the option of keeping the GTX295 for folding....
Old September 29, 2009, 01:36 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I voted for you to go to ATI. As the resident AMD guy here you should be running an AMD gpu!

You always have the option of keeping the GTX295 for folding....
Or not? lol... I can't afford the electric bills to fold right now. Maybe if i get hired somewhere new (*hinthint*to montreal companies, lol).

Im still debating it, but there does seem to be alot of favor for switching the 5870 + eyefinity. Only problem is finding and DP - DVI adapter that works, because if i cant then thats a dealbreaker right there.
Old September 29, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what if i can use dvi to vga x 2 and then buy a brand new active displayport lcd of the same size will that work?
Old September 29, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

why would AMD use display port on their GPU? If you need to buy a whole new monitor for it, it seems kind of silly to me.
Old September 29, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes but from what i can tell you have to run the 2 x dvi and the 1 displayport to get eye finnie to work ( just wondering if it matters if dvi ports are using vga adapters or not )
Old September 30, 2009, 07:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the problem with 3 monitors in eyefinity is the fact that yes 1 has to use the display port which means buying a new monitor that has one, I have been looking around lately for a decent one (haven't looked to hard though) to get price ranges
but having some issues NCIX has 3 but they are all HP and personally I will never own an HP product. But if you don't mind having to replace one of your monitors with a display port monitor then I would suggest checking out the Eyefinity as
all the reviews I have seen/read are really good on it.

EVGA X58 Classified 3 SLI / i7 920 D0 / Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 2gb x 6 / Noctua NH-D14 / BFG 260 Maxcore / Corsair Obsidian 800D / Seasonic M12D 850w
Old September 30, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
why would AMD use display port on their GPU? If you need to buy a whole new monitor for it, it seems kind of silly to me.
It is supposed to replace DVI or something.. Have you not heard? Steve Jobs has been ejaculating mini-display ports all over the products that he forces out his tight little ass for a while now.
Old September 30, 2009, 08:09 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintank View Post
the problem with 3 monitors in eyefinity is the fact that yes 1 has to use the display port which means buying a new monitor that has one, I have been looking around lately for a decent one (haven't looked to hard though) to get price ranges
but having some issues NCIX has 3 but they are all HP and personally I will never own an HP product. But if you don't mind having to replace one of your monitors with a display port monitor then I would suggest checking out the Eyefinity as
all the reviews I have seen/read are really good on it.
In that case id definately consider going back to Vista 64 or alike to get your 5040x1050, and running the 3 monitors you have now and your TH2G, for now at least. truth be told, if you have to purchase one with the display port, your really buying 3, because im yet to see a nice setup that doesnt have 3 identical monitors. As per usual it comes down to how much you want to spend. Im a tight ^rse so I know which way id go. I also have Win 7 on order, but ill be reading and watching Matrox releases to see when they have support for 7, then ill install.
Win 7 64 bit / Antec 1200 / E8400 EK Supreme LT / Xfx 780i SLI / Mushkin 6Gb EM2-6400 - Corsair 3 Fan Cooler / Corsair HX 1000W / 2xSeagate Sata II - Raid 0 / 1xSeagate Sata II - Storage and backup / 2xEVGA GTX285 1Gb- SLI Ek blocks / 2x240 Swiftech Rad, Full Push-Pull / MCP355 w/ Petra Top / Micro Res / Danger Den Fillport Blue / Matrox Digital TH2G / 3xSamsung 226BW's
Old September 30, 2009, 08:24 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Don't change back to Vista just yet I'd say... Just stay with win7 and run 3x1440x900 for the time being. I'm not allowed to say too much but I can say that something is on its way in the coming weeks that Does fix it (i would know, lol).

Also, everyone please note that Windows 7 disables Aero by itself at high resolutions. It is NOT a Matrox/Graphics bug, but rather a Windows 7 bug.

I'm still thinking of trying a 5870, just need to find a active DP to DVI adapter...