Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2009, 10:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default SLI on Any Chipset

Just saw this over on Hackaday and I figured there would be some people interested in it here.

Here is the post from Hackaday:
Quote:
SLI, for those who dont know, is the process of taking two Nvidia graphics cards and allowing them to work in parallel to render to a single monitor. In theory this doubles the power, getting more FPS for video games. Great right? Except due to encryption, only a limited amount of motherboards can actually support SLI.

That is, until now. Russian hackers at xDevs discovered that the newer encryption is based around string identifiers. This can be modified within the operating system itself, so in theory any motherboard could work. Be wary, this could brick your system; but if successful, youll have more power without shelling out for an officially SLI supported motherboard.
And the link to the website explain how it can be done:
Project xDevs: / / Activating NVIDIA SLI on all motherboards, detailed HOW-TO

So far it seems to work on every desktop version of Windows since Windows XP excluding XP x64.

It appears to allow SLI by tricking your computer into thinking that your motherboard is an ASUS X58 motherboard that supports SLI. It can be done through some software hacking, or a BIOS hack (as well as a bit of software hacking still).

And as they said on the website, there is a possibility that something could go wrong, and it ranges from needing to reinstall your OS to having damaged hardware. So use it at your own risk!

If a mod feels this thread is a problem because it potentially violates an EULA or something, feel free to delete it.
Old September 26, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting, but with X58 chipsets a good number support both. I always thought it'd be in nvidia's best interest to allow all motherboards to be SLI capable. More graphics sales right?