Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2009, 06:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Hey.

Well, I broke out the jigsaw, used a template from these lovely folks Computer Fan Hole Grill Templates 80, 90, 120, 140mm to line up my holes. Taped up the area I was going to cut and used a DVD/CD to trace a circle (yes, a CD is 122mm so just cut just inside of the line). Had some molding from Crappy Tire (car stuff) that I had lying around from my old car (I was hiding rust, not modding my car lol!) I heat it up to work with, then once it cools, it get really stiff.

End result, I took the stamped grills off of the side of the case. I've ordered some Wire Gills from NCIX so I will put those on when they arrive to protect fingers and what not.

Anyhow, last night while I was watching the Leafs skate around the ice while the Pens played hockey and then an episode of Dr Who Season 2, I did a series of quick tests to see what was what. Here are my results.

Equipment ---

Gigabyte Radeon 5850 (Overdrive OCd to 765 / 1125) running FurBench at Max Resolution and Max MSAA. Fan on Auto and it NEVER spins up above 33% *SKYMTL suspects that's how Gigabyte's done their BIOS profile*.

Testing Results ---

* Side panel on, no vents or fans in side panel --- max temp = 86 C (it was a windowed panel I had made for kicks that is both ugly and pooly done, but meh)

* Side panel off, ie. Open Case --- max temp = 84 C

* Stock CM690 side panel on, 120mm fan on bottom, air intake --- max temp = 80 C

* Moded CM690 side panel on (stamped grills removed), 120mm fan on bottom, air intake --- max temp = 78 C

So, following my very limited testing, I would conclude that "yes" my Gigabyte 5850 benefits very much from increases airflow onto the card. The other advantage is now that I have cut the stamp out of my side panel, there are two benefits. The first is there is no noise from the fan at all now. Granted it's an open hole atm and I will be placing a wire grill over it, the amount of turbulence caused by the stock stamped grill was actually surprising. The second is that at least as far as I can tell, the stamped grill on the CM690 did impede the airflow quite a bit. Again, the wire grill might affect that once it is installed, but I suspect far less than the stock hex stamp that was there.

As a result, I have resolved to cutting out all my stamped grills when I tear the PC apart next week for my new build. I might even mess with my PSU a bit and see if I can quiet that thing down a bit.

To sum up --- ariflow over 5850 GOOD!

Cheers!
Morning_Canuck :)
Old October 11, 2009, 04:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well I must say that I quite like your little review Surfer! I think I may end up doing that to my cases as well
Old October 11, 2009, 05:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks. Like I said, I'm waiting for my grills to cover up the fans for safety's sake, but this is what the panel looks lkie without the fans in. And although you can see the seam of the molding, it's placed in a spot where the wire from the grill will hide that seam.

Cheers!
Hole_Punch_Canuck :)
Attached Images

Old October 13, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Anyone know of any unlocked 5850 bios? These cards are insanely limited..... especially the sapphire cards :S

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old October 13, 2009, 08:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

so you gonna sell me your 5850 since its hit a roadblock? :LOL:
Old October 14, 2009, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
so you gonna sell me your 5850 since its hit a roadblock? :LOL:
lol nope, I love this card and its gonna stick with me for a while lol.
I'm just hoping MSI gets this bios unlocked, because, if they do...... I'm looking forward to the clocks :D

----------------
---------------
Instagram Twitter
Old October 14, 2009, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

I still dont know why you sold your 5870 away, you got it for so cheap that selling it to get a 5850 just seems like a pointless downgrade.

Old October 15, 2009, 10:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Surfer_2099 wrote:
Quote:
Equipment ---

Gigabyte Radeon 5850 (Overdrive OCd to 765 / 1125) running FurBench at Max Resolution and Max MSAA. Fan on Auto and it NEVER spins up above 33% *SKYMTL suspects that's how Gigabyte's done their BIOS profile*.

Testing Results ---

* Side panel on, no vents or fans in side panel --- max temp = 86 C (it was a windowed panel I had made for kicks that is both ugly and pooly done, but meh)

* Side panel off, ie. Open Case --- max temp = 84 C

* Stock CM690 side panel on, 120mm fan on bottom, air intake --- max temp = 80 C

* Moded CM690 side panel on (stamped grills removed), 120mm fan on bottom, air intake --- max temp = 78 C
Well, I received my grills from NCIX and installed them and ran the test again. With the moded side panel that is pictured on page 3 of the thread and the grills installed, temps are back up to 80 C, so from a temperature standpoint, there seems to be no difference between the stock side panel and my modified one. Granted, the furnace was running tonight so it may be a bit warmer, but 80 C or 79 C, it's pretty much the same for me.

HOWEVER, the decrease in turbulence has made a significant difference in the wind noise coming from the fan. So from a noise standpoint, I have succeded to reduce that quite a bit with the holes and grills in the panel. There is also the overall coolness factor of the look now, but that has no effect on the performance of the case. ;)

So overall, I am happy with a 6 C temp drop over my initial tests for the GPU. As I've said before, Gigabyte's Bios must be set to fan speed rather than temperature like some others I've read about. That essentially means slightly higher temps with the benefit of less noise coming from the 5850 itself. That's fine with me.

On a side note, I am tearing my old rig appart and building my new one. I'll be doing to airflow mods to my CM690 and I will surely post some pics in the Builds forum.

Cheers!
Late_Night_Early_Morning_Testing_Canuck :)
Old October 18, 2009, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Unlocked Asus bios is available for those with 5850's.
I'll edit with the link in a bit...

first to find a usb drive that i can format for the flash :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardForum
This is the guide I followed, except instead of using the Asus bios I used the MSI one to ensure compatibility with MSI Afterburner:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...44&postcount=1

Special Thanks to Overclockers UK

Here is the ASUS BIOS
RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Here is the MSI one I used:
http://cid-26aaa81850481d85.skydrive...%5E_unlock.A11

Here's the latest ATIflash

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...lash_3.75.html

Here's the tool to format a USB flash drive
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/at...7&d=1222699942

Here's the bootfiles I used
http://www.4shared.com/file/43544416...FILES.html?s=1 (Extract them, then make a folder called BOOTFILES, stick the extracted files into the folder)

The Steps

Note: Make a backup of your original BIOS using GP-Z
  • Plug in the USB drive that you want to use.
  • Install and run HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.
  • Select the USB Drive. In the "File system" drop down box, pick FAT32. Tick "Quick Format". Tick "Create a DOS startup disk, using DOS system files located at and click the "..." and direct it to the BOOTFILES folder you made.
  • Click start.
  • Once that's done, copy the ATI Flash and ASUS BIOS into the USB drive.
  • Restart your PC and boot from the USB Flash drive.
  • Once it's booted in type
  • atiflash -f -p 0 asus.rom (If you're not using crossfire)

I used the MSI one so I went: atiflash -f -p 0 MSI_R5850_unlock.A11

DOS did not like the long name so I renamed the file to something short like MSI.A11[*]Once the flashing is done will ask you for reboot. When Windows boot you will see all your resolution lost and Windows will detect a new video card. You will have to re-install the Ati drivers again to take effect.

If you're using crossfire, I'd suggest you flash each card individually (For people like Virus). More so that I don't know how to flash more than one card at once

Good luck
As well, taken from XS:

Zalman GV1000 coolers will fit using the stoke plate:

I think I might do the same

----------------
---------------
Instagram Twitter

Last edited by mattlef; October 18, 2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old November 25, 2009, 10:06 AM
Allstar

It amazes me what they are charging for the 5950...some xfx cards are over $400

CHEERS