Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2009, 06:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ahem...

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte Radeon HD 5850 725MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.0GHZ 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card - GV-R585D5-1GD-B In Canada.

Cheers!
Already_Ordered_One_Canuck :)
Old October 6, 2009, 07:13 AM
MVP

Do all the 5850's support voltage adjustments or is asus the only one?

Video: 2x R9 290 @ 1050 / 1375 | ASUS VG248QE |

Audio: STX => Audioengine A5 / audio technica AD700X
Old October 6, 2009, 07:25 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
Do all the 5850's support voltage adjustments or is asus the only one?
Only custom cards or cards with custom software can do it, and ASUS is the only brand with that right now.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:48 AM
MVP

NCIX loves price gouging their products.

Newegg has em for 279.99 and they are not even in stock, once it will get stock, they will be around 269.99 or 259.99.

I know NCIX does price match but doing this for every item is simply stupid.

They should keep up with the market prices.
Old October 6, 2009, 01:37 PM
Rookie

I ordered my xfx 5850 on friday and picked it up from NCIX in Richmond this morning.

Wicked awesome card. Kicks my 4870's behind.

They were nice enough to pricematch for me even though I ordered before the price drop at the other place.

I love NCIX.
Old October 7, 2009, 07:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Direct Canada Ships FAST!

Darn it!

Ordered a Gibabyte Radeon 5850 yesterday morning from Direct Canada and they had it in the mail by the end of the day.

I just looked at the Purolator Website using my tracking number and the card arrived at my house already this morning! That's from BC to Niagara Region in less than a day! Now THAT is fast shipping baby!

Of course I was not home to receive the damn thing so I'll have to go to the Purolator distribution center and pick it up when I get home.

I should have stayed home from work!

Cheers!
Happy_Anticipatory_Canuck :)
Old October 7, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I get a lot of things from NCIX in 24 hours after clicking the order button.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 7, 2009, 05:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, I picked up my 5850 and the first thing I noticed about it is it weighs a ton!

I am currently just cleaning out my drivers and will be dropping it into my case for a pre-new-build test run.

Next post I make will be while running my 5850. I am curious to see how loud it is. Someone said it screams. Hopefully this will not be the case.

Oh... and fyi... Gigabyte's 280$ (cdn) version of the 5850 does NOT include a Dirt2 download key. (Not an issue for me because I don't "do" driving games. But some might not like its absence.)

Cheers!
Installation_Ready_Canuck :)
Old October 7, 2009, 06:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer_2099 View Post
I am curious to see how loud it is. Someone said it screams. Hopefully this will not be the case.
If I leave it on auto my xfx is pretty much inaudible, with temps in the mid 50's under full load and overclocked to the max in ecc. Setting the fan manually at anything over 30 is obnoxiously loud.
Old October 7, 2009, 08:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, my Gigabyte 5850 card is in my old workhorse Athlon x2 3800 for now.

Installation went just fine except for one issue. I have a CM 690 and the design of the card near the mountings makes it impossible to use the toolless locking system. Unfortunately, I had to use screws because there is no way to actually clip the locks onto the card. I may try to figure something out when I tear the PC apart for the new build and do my case modifications.

As to the sound of the Gigabyte 5850... here are my purely subjective impressions with the card at idle (33 degrees in a 20 degree room).

FAN SPEED - sound impression

20 % - absolutely inaudible on my system

30 % - still can't hear it over my PSU (Stealth Extreme) and case fans

35 % - you know something is blowing quietly, but it's not louder than my PSU

40 % - distinctly hear a blower (it's audible - quiets down a bit after a minute or so but you can definitely hear the air flow and fan)

45% - it's now officially louder than my PSU and is louder than my 5 120mm case fans put together but it's still more quiet than my reference single slot Sapphire 3870 was

50% - loud"ish" and officially louder than I would like to tolerate for gaming since I game without headphones usually and my volume down quiet a bit I would have to turn up the volume at this point

60% - entering a new phase of of loud. Even with the volume up on my Media Player (listening to Safety Dance - Men Without Hats - good bunch of guys that) I can hear the fan very disticntly. It's distractingly loud at this point, beyond anything I would like to tolerate. *temp is 28 degrees atm fyi*

75% - I just got yelled at by my wife for turning up the volume so high on my PC. Despite that, I could still hear the fan blowing *my music was very loud too!*

90% - Not really much of a difference between 75% and 90% actually. It's noticably louder, but at this point what's the point.

100% - Again, it's not much louder provided there is music playing. Once I turn off the music though, it's like my wife is drying her hair in the next room. Turning it back down to 20% and then up to 100% and you REALLY realize how loud it is.

So, my impression is that 75% seems to be the "what the Hell, it's this loud, may as well max it out" point of the fan noise. Unlike the guy above, I've got to get my fan up to about 45% before you start thinking : "Geeze, this fan is loud" and once you get to 50%, it's officially obnoxiously loud for my tastes.

That said, the blower moves a lot of air through that little opening and I wonder if cutting out the grill would reduce turbulance enough to make a difference in the noise level. That, however, would void the ol' waranty though.

I am going to have to play with some 3D test just to see what kind of GPU usage cranks the fan up the most. I don't know if I can stress the card enough to push it hard with my current system, but once I build my Win 7 rig next week, I'll do my best to stress it.

Now, I am going to use Overdrive and see what clocks I can get with the card.

Cheers!
Still_Satisfied_Canuck :)

EDIT : BTW in the last image, it's not because the screws are there that I can't close the clips in case someone thinks that may be the cause. They would not clip before I put the screws in. You can see that the clip hits the metal before getting close to clipping.
Attached Images

Last edited by Surfer_2099; October 7, 2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Added a note at bottom of text