Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2009, 06:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Let the GOUGING Begin!

Hey there,

Seems the prices for the 5870s are as liquid as the water that runs down the side of a mountain...

Or should I say "UP"!

Hardware Canucks is going to have to update their front page article about "Availabitly and Pricing" for 5870s, because places like NCIX (I mention NCIX because I had said they rocked in another thread so I am holding them accountable) are hiking their prices substantially.

This was posted on the 23rd by the folks here at Hardware Canucks:
Quote:
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Available Immediately!

Powercolor Radeon HD 5870:
  • SOHODIFFUSION – $449 – Limited Quantities Remaining (Unconfirmed)

GIGABYTE ATI RADEON HD 5870
  • SOHODIFFUSION – $449.99 – Limited Quantities Remaining (Unconfirmed)

XFX Radeon HD 5870:
———————————–
Backorder/Sold Out (May be refreshed and moved to Available)

XFX Radeon HD 5870:
  • NCIX – $429.99 – Out of Stock (ETA 09/24/2009)
SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870:
  • Newegg Canada – $405.99 - Out of Stock (ETA 09/28/2009)
  • PCCyber – $402.99 – Out of Stock (ETA 09/28/2009)

Powercolor Radeon HD 5870
  • NCIX – $414.99 - Backorder
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Zilch
Go look at the prices now! For example, you see that Powercolor 5870 that is listed at $414.99 (which is now on backorder), well, if you want it now, you'll have to fork out $499.99 (minus a 35$ instant rebate) for the same card. Granted, I suppose they'll price match, but that's dependant upon availability at other places.

I am well aware that supplies are limited right now, and that any vendor may set whatever price they want for their items. I am also aware that we as consumers are not required to buy from any specific vendor if we do not agree with their pricing, policies or service. That said, it is also our responsibilty as consumers to hold vendors to account and that's what I wish to do with this thread.

So yup. There's my morning rant.

Cheers!
Cleansed_Canuck :)

EDIT: I am not aiming this specifically at NCIX. That's where I have bought many of my PC parts over the years. I like them. Their's is just one example I used.

Last edited by Surfer_2099; September 24, 2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Corrected some terrible typos!
Old September 24, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

give it a month or 2
Old September 24, 2009, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Like SKYMTL said, wait for the Nvidia lineup to be released and then buy whichever you like. By then prices will be a little lower and there will be a few DX11 games released.
Old September 24, 2009, 08:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Agreed. there is that, it's just I am not in the upgrade market atm, I am currently building a complete systθme for Win7. (My OCd x2 3800 is tired and does not always post.)

My beef is the apparent "fluidity" of current item pricing.

If vendors all offered price protection ΰ la FutureShop for 30 days, that would be nice, but I don't know of any that do. So, I challenge the fairness of buying a card on Monday for 415$, then someone else paying 485$ on Wednesday to only have the card be priced at 405$ the next Tuesday.

It's kinda like airline ticket prices. You hate to know that you paid 500$ for a seat and the guy next to you bought his for 200$ only because he happened to buy them when the airline was feeling charitable.

Cheers!
Still_Feeling_Good_Regardless_Canuck :)
Old September 24, 2009, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Go look at the prices now! For example, you see that Powercolor 5870 that is listed at $414.99 (which is now on backorder), well, if you want it now, you'll have to fork out $499.99 (minus a 35$ instant rebate) for the same card. Granted, I suppose they'll price match, but that's dependant upon availability at other places.
Its the top-of-the-Line single GPU available....what were you expecting? $450 - $500 is "normal" in my books.
Quote:
It's kinda like airline ticket prices. You hate to know that you paid 500$ for a seat and the guy next to you bought his for 200$ only because he happened to buy them when the airline was feeling charitable.
Ha ha ha...you make your purchase you take your chances...you could always buy a GPU at FS if you want 30 day price protection, but you'll pay wayy more their then NCIX / DC etc etc....
btw...I use "Air Miles" and book well ahead ;) 2 Tickets Roundtrip Victoria to Manzanillo (Return) $240 CDN - Horizon / Alaska...use Air Miles ;)