Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   watt for two GTX 295 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/23385-watt-two-gtx-295-a.html)

hohohee September 21, 2009 01:34 AM

700 watt for two GTX 295 (quad-sli) be safe?
 
is 700 watt - 750 watt top of the top brand be safe with two GTX 295? (quad-sli)







pretend this one
Newegg.com - ENERMAX INFINITI EIN720AWT 720W ATX12V/ EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
or this
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

pretend this spec:
phenom II x4 965 / 4x 2gb mushkin / 500gb wd caviar black

for gaming









conclusion:
so judging from the poll and comments.... it is clear that whoever even thinks that a 700 watt or 750 watt psu be safe on two GTX 295 (quad-sli) should be punch in the face for being an ignorant dumbass stupid bastard.



Perineum September 21, 2009 01:54 AM

I'm going to vote yes on this one, providing it's an excellent PSU.

Namely because Fefox ran 3 such cards on a 1000W.

Taking off 100W for the MB and processor/ram that leaves you with 900W..... divide that by 3 you get about 300W for each GTX295..... aaaaaaand the HX1000 he was using is 2 rails of 500W each, which means that 2 GTX295's ran off 500W

He did that while folding, so that's even loaded. The power supply that is. Not Fefox. Or maybe Fefox too. Or whatever.

I need a beer. Mmm. Beer.

hohohee September 21, 2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 258574)

Namely because Fefox ran 3 such cards on a 1000W.

ummmmm..... you can do three gtx 295? which is 6gpu-sli?

fefox September 21, 2009 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohohee (Post 258576)
ummmmm..... you can do three gtx 295? which is 6gpu-sli?

No this is for folding, so they are not in sli, I have 8 GPU's now in the system 4 x 295's

Im thinking you can get away with that power supply but its probably right on the line..

hohohee September 21, 2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fefox (Post 258577)
No this is for folding, so they are not in sli, I have 8 GPU's now in the system 4 x 295's

Im thinking you can get away with that power supply but its probably right on the line..

that guy is here cool.

so can you play games on that eight gtx 295? without sli? or jus for folding like you said? jus for non-gaming? cant start game with it?

fefox September 21, 2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohohee (Post 258578)
that guy is here cool.

so can you play games on that eight gtx 295? without sli? or jus for folding like you said? jus for non-gaming? cant start game with it?

just for folding...

I might be able to get two cards into sli for games, but have never tried in the 4 card system.

hohohee September 21, 2009 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fefox (Post 258579)
just for folding...

I might be able to get two cards into sli for games, but have never tried in the 4 card system.

ok final confirmation....jus for clearity..... you can launch game on it and play it through it? or cant launch game on it at all?

bojangles September 21, 2009 04:39 AM

Can you please give us the rest of your system specs? Also, please give us the brand of PSU which you are going to be using. I highly doubt that a 700W PSU would be able to use it. It may handle it, but would be under very high loads and the PSU would be very loud to keep it cool.

Or is this just another one of those dream threads...

CMetaphor September 21, 2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohohee (Post 258580)
ok final confirmation....jus for clearity..... you can launch game on it and play it through it? or cant launch game on it at all?

No you cannot game on 3x GTX295s or 4x even. I voted for the punch in the face. Fefox clearly stated several times that his setup is for Folding and will Not work for gaming. Sorry, I'm a harsh person, but it's Monday morning. ha ha!

Skyllz September 21, 2009 05:26 AM

I say it might work but the day you will push them hard(Benching or Crysis, ect...) you might have issues.

I'd go for a 850w to be on the safer side of things.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 PM.