Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old September 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Posts: 322

My System Specs

Default Build Question for Radeon Options

Hey! Been a long while since I have posted, but it's been a long while since I have had such a colossal question to ask.

I am currently buying parts on sale to build a new rig for Windows7 (so the build will be done in Octobre). My budget is not tight, but nor is it unlimited, so please keep that in mind when you read.

** These are the new parts I have bought for my system (all were bought on special so please, work with what I am offering)...

AMD Phenom II 955 BE
MSI 790GX-65 Motherboard
4 Gigs Corsair Dominator 1333 Ram
640 Gig WD Caviar Black Hard Drive
Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 rev.2 CPU cooler

*** These are the parts I am recycling from my current rig...

Coolermaster CM690 case
OCZ Stealth Gamer 600w psu
Optical disks

*** Here are the factors to take into consideration for the Video Card...

I have a new Samsung 22in Monitor. The native resolution is 1680x1050. I will not be getting a bigger monitor because I sit too close to the monitor to be comforatble with bigger.

I currently have a Radeon 3870 with a Coolink GFXChilla installed on it. I really love the GFX Chilla, it does a great job!

NOW... The question.

Currently a Gigabyte 4850 is 89$ (cdn) at DirectCanada. At that price, I was thinking of buying 2 of them and another GFX Chilla and recycling the Chilla from my 3870. I would then have a 4850 Crossfire set-up with Chillas for less than 250$ (tax and ship incl.)

Otherwise, it is possible to get 4870s for just under 200$. However, I read everywhere that they are LOUD and I don't want LOUD. Also, according to benches, 2 4850s are generally faster than a single 4870. Crossfire 4870s is pretty much out, because I would need a new PSU and that would increase my cost. I am also concerned that at 1680x1050, 2 4870s or a even a 4870x2 (hard to find), there would be a lot of wasted horsepower.

Enter the 5000 series that is rumoured to be released some time soon. Pricing is all guess work from what I have read and I am dubious of the performance leaks. However ,that may be a viable option depending on the power requirements and the price for performance issue.

Now, my concern is if I wait for the 5000 series and they turn out to be less than hoped for, (or crazy loud) I may miss my chance on the sale price of the 4850s. However, if I go with the dual 4850 setup or the single 4870 and the 5000 series turns out to be a winner, I'll have to kick myself.

There is of course the 4890 which is a bit less than 250$ atm. Aside from the Vapor-x (which is supposed to be pretty quiet), I have read they are loud as well.

So, I need some advice. My problem is that I am on the cusp of the 5000 series release and the release of a new OS.

Any suggestions?
Canuck_2099 :)
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old September 18, 2009, 09:29 AM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 45

If you're not looking to complete this build until October, I'd just wait it out for the 5000 series. Sure, you might be able to get a good deal on a 4850 now but prices are likely to decline a bit after the 5000 series comes out and buying a 4850 now or in two months might not even make that much of a difference. That is--of course--assuming the 5000 series is less than anticipated.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old September 18, 2009, 09:42 AM
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mackenzie BC
Posts: 411

The 4890 vapox x can be had for $206 right now I think I'd take that over 2 4850's
Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100269VXLE Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

however, as farmrush mentioned prices are likely to drop. I think next Wednesday is release date for 50** series cards. Have you considered used? I think you'll see quite a few 48** series cards over the next weeks in there too.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old September 18, 2009, 09:57 AM
Spaceman-Spiff's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: burnaby.bc.ca
Posts: 355

Also agree with Farmrush. Hold on buying a new video card till the new ATI line is released, and maybe if you can hold even longer, till the next line of nVidia is released :P.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old September 18, 2009, 01:03 PM
Silvgearx's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,101

For now get a ATI 4870 1gb.

one of these.

Buy ASUS [EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5] ASUS Radeon 4870 Dk 750MHZ 1GB 3.6GHZ DDR5 PCI-E Dual DVI HDCP HDTV Out Video Card

Buy Gigabyte [GV-R487D5-1GD] Gigabyte Radeon HD 4870 750MHZ 1GB 3.6GHZ DDR5 PCI-E16 Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card

They are cool and quiet.

and only at $150 CAD range

If your gonna wait for the 5xxx series, you might have to wait till next year(2010)

Those baby are gonna be HOT and the 5850 will probably be at $400+ CAD. Since your going W7 and DX is a freaking must. then the 5xxx series is your best choice.

for now i would jump on an 4870 for $150. and upgrade to an 5850 when they drop to $200 CAD
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radeon 9550 question A/V4U Video Cards 19 June 24, 2009 02:23 AM
Laptop Options? ChuckleBrother Mobile Computing 9 July 17, 2008 10:57 PM
Audio Options? Lyxtwing Mobile Computing 2 May 25, 2008 11:20 PM
Quick Build Question FunkyJunky Video Cards 3 March 23, 2008 02:59 PM
Options.... if any? 3.0charlie O/S's, Drivers & General Software 16 July 8, 2007 10:20 AM